Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+15
WolferCooker
brickgolem
Milanor
stathmk
WLHack
Officer-Michael John
Wolfer Software
Dark_wizzie
Atina
OzNoG
Metalor
ronwolf1705
Andy
JDMGD0
lilmanjs
19 posters

Shadow Genesis

Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 158
    Registration date : 2012-11-01

Shadow Genesis - Page 9 Empty Shadow Genesis

Post by Mega Luigi Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi all.

This topic is about a new mod that is being created by me and my brother, Mario Maniac. Yeah, he is still alive, in case you are in doubt.

First of all, I feel like I should say that this game, like its predecessors, is based in nazis and demons. I understand some of you may not like the idea, but we do. Also, by predecessors, I mean its prequels, all of them. This one is centered in the same story and it involves elements of previous gameses. 

If you ever played an addon made by us or heard someone criticizing our style, you probably know how things are going to be developed. We enjoy a challenge, and we also enjoy the fact that this won't be a game that you will be able to finish in a couple hours.

Anyway, we've been working on it for a long time now, although we didn't work that much due to other stuff and whatever. Sprites, sounds, coding and all that stuff, except for maps and music, are already done. Like I said before, there are many level specific codings that are obviously yet to be done.

We didn't decide yet how many levels the game will have yet. We are just going on with the story, until it is the right time to end. I also think it is worth mentioning the maps are all 128x128. We always thought it was bad to have so many small claustrophobic rooms, but that was the only way to make big nice levels.

Obviously, I'm not spoiling much yet, but I can guarantee the game has a bunch of never seen before features.

After that wall of text, here are a bunch of screens, to show something that has been made already. I'll post more screens from time to time in here.

Official Beta Screenshots (latest released version as of now):

Shadow Genesis Part 1 Beta Download: (The forum inserts this adfly thing on the link. I can't do anything about that, so don't complain.)
    As bugs are found and fixed, I'll upload new patches here. You should download them as soon as possible. I'll also write what the bug is about.

Important things before you download this:

• You can press 'L' to see the ratios so far in the game.
    • The game is incomplete. What you will download is a demo version, which corresponds to the first part of a two part game. This part contains 39 levels. Whenever the full version is released, you WILL lose your savegame.
    • It's probably best not to play this on "I am Death Incarnate" unless you want some big suffering.
    • WolferCooker succeeded in completing the game, but that doesn't mean there are no bugs. In fact, I can almost guarantee there are.
    • If you get stuck somewhere and you feel like there is a bug that prevents you from completing it, it's better if you post it here so everyone can see it, and we can fix it if it's really a bug. If it's not a bug, I won't spoil anything and I won't give you the solution.

• There are no secret levels for now, although some "mechanisms" that would enable you to get to them are already in the game. That means there can be keys/switches/things that have no objective the way the game is now.
    • Although this should be obvious, READ the ReadThis section.
    • Achievements and mementos aren't in the game yet, even though the ReadThis describe them. Don't mind that, for now.

Full package (this has been updated and now links to the official beta version):
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/nnzijaw3aaehu13/Shadow_Genesis_Pt._1_-_Official_Beta.rar/file

Patches (no need to download any of them anymore. All of the patches have been included in the official beta version. The list of patches has been kept here purely as a log).

:

Full Game (upcoming, not to be released anytime soon):

(contains features not currently available on the official beta)

Small spoiler: Soul Orb Entrance

That's it for now. Cya.

Last edited by Mega Luigi on Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:12 pm; edited 36 times in total
    Agent_Falcon93
    Agent_Falcon93
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Male
    Number of posts : 39
    Job : Entrepreneur
    Hobbie : Beach Days & Gardening
    Message : Author of Castle Erzengel Demo, and the upcoming Runes of North Castle Court, and the rest of the Series : Knights of the ᛋᛋ.
    Registration date : 2021-12-05

Shadow Genesis - Page 9 Empty Re: Shadow Genesis

Post by Agent_Falcon93 Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:14 pm

looks really cool
    Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Mega Luigi Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:15 pm

stathmk wrote:
    Mega Luigi wrote:...
    I still think it's worth it though, since it allows us to achieve some much more interesting and complex designs such as this:
    Shadow Genesis - Page 9 Wshot210
    Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!  I like the way that the multiple stories tall walls remind me of Doom, Doom 2, and Rise of The Triad!  I thought that you'd like to know that yesterday that I got an email that the Rise of The Triad remaster with extra levels and features is now for sale!: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1421490/Rise_of_the_Triad_Ludicrous_Edition/

Glad you like it! I did mention that in another post, but it also brings a lot of imaginative challenges considering our editors are not made to work with something like that  Cool. And nice, always fun to see the old stuff coming back to life!

Agent_Falcon93 likes this post

Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Mega Luigi Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:38 pm

So here comes a small update showing a feature we added to make things easier for the players. 

In the screenshot below, you can see a candle, which is an item you can pick up. When you have candles, you will see them displayed on the right side of the screen, similar to other things like gunpowder or holy crosses.

Shadow Genesis - Page 9 Image

So, with that, you will be able to place candles where you want:

Here's one example of a candle placed by the player:

The main idea here is for you to be able to fill in the blanks where we felt too lazy to decorate the levels. So you can use those candles to make everything look nicer!

Just kidding...

The real intent here is to give a tool for players to mark places of interest in more complex maps, most likely the ones towards the darker, later levels. You will also be able to choose different colors so that you can decide to mark different things with different colors. For example, you could mark a path that you didn't explore yet with one color, a secret that you want to go back to with another, etc. 

It shouldn't be any surprise how much we enjoy big complex levels at this point. However, that does not mean we want you to be wandering forever because you're lost, as no one really likes that. So, with these candles, it might be a bit easier to find your way.

Last edited by Mega Luigi on Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1198
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:48 am

Excellent idea. It's not fun running back and forth and in circles looking for a particular pathway you wanted to get around.

That's the biggest reason it took me 2-3 weeks to beat the beta version the first time.
    Agent_Falcon93
    Agent_Falcon93
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Male
    Number of posts : 39
    Job : Entrepreneur
    Hobbie : Beach Days & Gardening
    Message : Author of Castle Erzengel Demo, and the upcoming Runes of North Castle Court, and the rest of the Series : Knights of the ᛋᛋ.
    Registration date : 2021-12-05

Post by Agent_Falcon93 Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:20 am

interesting way to display the items
    Mario Maniac
    Mario Maniac
    Sturmgewehr
    Sturmgewehr

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2016-04-18

Post by Mario Maniac Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:47 am

Alright I won't lie, I forgot this last month. We had nothing by then, nothing would have changed.
    But still not much to say. Wrote a bunch of dialogues, corrected some minor bugs regarding teleporter and shader changes, made a bunch of sprites and the only major thing was a bug where sometimes a random object would just become directional and start using the following 7 sprites for it. If I'm not mistaken that wasn't happening with the beta, but if it was, it's now fixed.
    Luigi had some progress with his level, he is doing something rather big and decided to not spoil it. But it progressed, nonetheless.
    So yeah, that's it for now.
    Shadow Genesis - Page 9 4kQvNbWuiCjmFLyCHD19YAQn7mlRLAgIAOw==

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:47 pm