Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+4
Dark_wizzie
Dean
giftmacher
ronwolf1705
8 posters

Wolf3d forum time

Poll

Where do you spend your Wolf3d forum time?

[ 5 ]
    Wolf3d forum time Bar_left31%Wolf3d forum time Bar_right [31%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Wolf3d forum time Bar_left0%Wolf3d forum time Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Wolf3d forum time Bar_left0%Wolf3d forum time Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Wolf3d forum time Bar_left25%Wolf3d forum time Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Wolf3d forum time Bar_left19%Wolf3d forum time Bar_right [19%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Wolf3d forum time Bar_left6%Wolf3d forum time Bar_right [6%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Wolf3d forum time Bar_left13%Wolf3d forum time Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Wolf3d forum time Bar_left6%Wolf3d forum time Bar_right [6%] 

Total Votes: 16
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Wolf3d forum time Empty Wolf3d forum time

Post by Andy Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:13 am

I was wondering what percentage of Wolf3d Haven members visit DieHard Wolfers, how often, etc.

Personally, I visit DHW/TRC/Haven about 60/30/10% of my "Wolfing forum" time.

Some people cross-post amongst the two (or three) forums, and I wonder if that's necessary.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Wolf3d forum time Empty Re: Wolf3d forum time

Post by doomjedi Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:41 am

Depending on a period.... usually it's 80% Team RayCast forum (obviously, it's our dev. forum), 15% on Haven and 5% on DHW.
    But sometimes there is a boost in my DHW activity if there is an interesting particular thread...

This is just for Wolf3D...
    I also daily visit (and active in) Keen modding forum (and have one project there, "BomberKeen"), zDoom spriting thread to see all the cool new sprites and I guess quite a couple of other gaming places, maybe not daily....ModDB, Wolf3D Dome, Balames channel etc etc.......
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1252

Post by ronwolf1705 Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:17 am

I'd say 33%-33%-33%, mostly it's just quickly checking for new posts. TR forum has the slight edge as that is more active.

Wolf3d forum time MMCS0206
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:58 am

50/50 Haven & DHW.
    giftmacher
    giftmacher
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by giftmacher Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 pm

I've always been wondering why this small community should need three different forums, all of which you'll need to visit on a daily basis in order not to miss anything.. oh well, so much to keep the admins happy, I suppose Smile
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Well when I was 13 I rubbed the admin of DHW the wrong way, so I made my own forum... so to try to keep this alive I try to differentiate... trying change to a more modern forum style, more relaxed rules, etc. I didn't forsee a third forum though... I actually feel TR forum can be put into DHW or Haven, with its own admin/moderator rights and hidden forums if they want. But I understand if they want a forum to call their own.

I used to browse DHW for a little bit but now I don't. It's got nothing to do with a 13 year old-vendetta though. tongue Just too lazy. Apart from this forum I do go on Basilmarket forums for a video game, it's an auction house/forum and I've had some debates there... I quickly browse Overlock.net forums for computer stuff, I post there in case of computer emergency. That's about it nowadays.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Nathaniel!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1778
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Wolf3d forum time Empty Team Raycast

Post by stathmk Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Chokster37 wrote:
    Thomas wrote:50/50 Haven & DHW.
    Same.

I never really thought of Team Raycast as a wolf3d forum. It always seemed like more of an elite/secretive place for it's modding team or something (half the stuff you can't even see if you know/remember the secret link to it--- which their admin has to PM to you and then approve of your membership, from what I remember). Every time people talk about that forum I try to find the link to it again (thinking something interesting must be going on there), then I'm always disappointed. Unless it becomes open and public (like this forum), I don't really know why TR-members are even talking about it. Go back and hide in your little cave, you scared little hidden forum for babies. That's right, I'm calling you out TR forum, you little chicken shit... where are you hiding? Bring it! Razz
    I'm a member of Team Raycast forum and have chatted there once or twice. I haven't contributed content to their games yet.

I think that there was also a French Wolfenstein 3D web site and now on Brian's broken links page. From archive.org, I seemed to get only one untranslated file that I couldn't find anywhere else. There's still some sort of Russian page with over 1,400 posts: http://forum.ixbt.com/print/0025/007352.html

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:30 pm

I visit both DHW and Haven equally, but I think I spend 75% of my wolfing time here as there is often more to read. I haven't been to TRC. Multiple forums appears to be a good idea. Some people refuse to post here, others refuse to post at DHW (Embarassed), so this way everybody has an outlet (unless you have totally mastered burning bridges).
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 590
    Hobbie : Being smarter then everyone else in the room...
    Registration date : 2007-04-16

Post by Dean Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:40 pm

TR Forum is not meant to be a public forum, It's a development forum and there is a lot going on there but it's mainly for those working on the games, and fair enough. You won't hear any of us say "OMG, you guys really have to check out the TR Forum!" lol...

Of the other 2, it's about 90% DHW, and 10% Haven. For me Haven is just a discussion site, there's very little ever being developed or worked on here and that's cool, just different forums for different things.

We'd love you to start participate again at DHW Ack, if you ever felt inclined. Although I always felt it might've been me that led to you stopping so in the first place..

The Wolfenstein 3d Blog - Updated Wednesdays!
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:10 pm

ack wrote:Some people refuse to post here, others refuse to post at DHW.
    I still don't get (outside of 13 year old temper tantrums) why anybody wouldn't want to post here. Like, what have I done to make people not want to post here? Do they not like the way I organize the forums? They prefer a stricter forum if that's their style? Or maybe they don't like some people in this forum? If it's out of preference, they like the way DHW is run then cool... The way you say it makes it sounds like some DHWers strongly dislike some people in this forum. Or am I just out of the loop here/guessing too much?
    But whatever.

But yeah, I'm fine with the current system the way it is, everybody has an option that suits them... Just don't need yet another forum though, that would be too much in my eyes.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1778
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Wolf3d forum time Empty 3drealms.com forums

Post by stathmk Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:46 pm

I had forgotten that there's also 3drealms.com forums. I haven't posted there in over 3 years. I think somebody posted a ROTT level set there.

There's also Yahoo groups. It seems like nobody has actively posted about Wolfenstein 3D there since 2004.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Go back and hide in your little cave, you scared little hidden forum for babies. That's right, I'm calling you out TR forum, you little chicken shit... where are you hiding? Bring it! Razz
    LITTLE cave?? Oh, come on, some respect, lol Smile
    This forum has 17 subforums, TR forum has 33 (!) subforums, so it makes it the largest Wolf3D forum Smile Looks like a big cave to me Smile LOL
    Yes, publically you can see only 7-8 out of 33.
    Also our forums is the most active of all 3 forums, with largers number of daily visits and posts.

As Dean said:
    It's a development forum and there is a lot going on there
    Yep, ALOT. Daily Smile
    The forum is also very advanced (not less than Haven and maybe more).

Dean wrote:TR Forum is not meant to be a public forum
    Yes, this is true. The forum was created as a private dev. forum for "Team RayCast" to have full control of mod development. So most areas are private. It does have small amount of public areas though (just today added "Other Games" subforum).
    We never intended to compete with DHW or Haven, and as such never put too much promotion into it amongs wolfers (we never actually posted it's link publically till recently (moddb and a few other places)) or tried to push wolfers to use it as a general Wolf3D public forum or to make it the new wolfers hangout.
    Moreso - publically - we don't to offer anything that Haven or DHW doesn't offer already (beside maybe the best set of smilies ever + ability to host your project on our forum privately). And indeed I see no special reason to have 3 public Wolf3D forums.
    That said - if wolfers will suddenly decide they love our forum the most - and want to be on it much more than now - I'll consider expending it's public areas, this is not set in stone. So far there was no request for such, and current level of public activity there doesn't show it.
    We did welcome every wolfer who came to our forum (beside one particular person) and treat him/her well. There is a good and unique atmosphere there.
    It's just that without much public areas - wolfers didn't see good reason to stay.

I never posted link to it on public Wolf3D forum (and won't) - out of respect of the other forums.
    People who want to find us - can find us (moddb is one example). And/or PM any of it's members for the link.

Last edited by doomjedi on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:06 am

stathmk wrote:I had forgotten that there's also 3drealms.com forums. I haven't posted there in over 3 years. I think somebody posted a ROTT level set there.

There's also Yahoo groups. It seems like nobody has actively posted about Wolfenstein 3D there since 2004.
    DieHard Wolfers is the direct descendent of the old Yahoo forum.

We had a Yahoo group for the DieHard Wolfer's TC project, for development purposes, like Team RayCast forum, just an older-fashioned form I guess.

There once was a supposedly cool forum at The Wolf3d Dome too, but I remember very little of it. Can someone fill us in on what happened?

Mario Maniac and Mega Luigi had one with a name like Planet Wolfenstein IIRC. I think I joined after it was almost dead - which it is now of course.

Good times.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 am

I didn't forsee a third forum though... I actually feel TR forum can be put into DHW or Haven, with its own admin/moderator rights and hidden forums if they want
    Well, the number and scale of our in-dev. mods really require at least a subforum for each project (and not a thread per project) - which would inflate any other forum by much. Also it's a good archive for released and scrapped projects - other forum wouldn't want to keep hosting - as it'd inflate the forum even further. Also there all team members are moderators, which speeds the development as we can edit each other's posts.
    Also that would make us dependable on other administrator and to wait for his responce for any request or any new member added or permission changed or whatever. Not to mention it'd reveal other projects to another Admin.

Also after "Sonder" case (new (PhpBB3) forum was made right after "Sonder" buzz) - we enjoyed to have a more private forum away from much public eyes or massive wolfer presence - and used it to our advantage.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 am

Andy wrote:There once was a supposedly cool forum at The Wolf3d Dome too, but I remember very little of it. Can someone fill us in on what happened?
    I know Chris had some old pages lying around somewhere from that forum...

Oh, and I remember Mega Luigi's forum. That was also where I found solace when it was me who rubbed the DHW admin the wrong way... lol... And Poet's also got a forum. Don't know how well that's doing, though.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Dark_wizzie wrote:
    ack wrote:Some people refuse to post here, others refuse to post at DHW.
    I still don't get (outside of 13 year old temper tantrums) why anybody wouldn't want to post here. Like, what have I done to make people not want to post here? Do they not like the way I organize the forums? They prefer a stricter forum if that's their style? Or maybe they don't like some people in this forum? If it's out of preference, they like the way DHW is run then cool... The way you say it makes it sounds like some DHWers strongly dislike some people in this forum. Or am I just out of the loop here/guessing too much?
    But whatever.

But yeah, I'm fine with the current system the way it is, everybody has an option that suits them... Just don't need yet another forum though, that would be too much in my eyes.

It wasn't meant negatively. I cannot ever recall any DHW members confidentially telling me they had any issues with this forum. I apologize for using the word 'refuse' as it comes across harshly. Perhaps what I should have said is 'choose not to for reasons of their own' or something like that. It has been that way for years though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm