Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+4
Thomas
Ipank7000
Valts
Andy
8 posters

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 3 Empty Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Well having played the originals so many times, I was thinking of the way I could play them once again to challenge myself the absolute most (yet not have it be impossible or virtually impossible), and this is the idea I came up with.

Have you beat every original Wolfenstein 3D/SoD level:

1. On I am Death Incarnate;
    2. Starting the level from scratch (pistol and 8 bullets);
    3. Without ever saving or restoring a game;
    4. Using no secrets (for extra items) besides ones that are absolutely mandatory; and
    5. In under that par time?

That is precisely the challenge I am trying in accomplish, and so far I've done it for all of Episode 4 as well as E6L1-E6L4. While Episode 6 is without a doubt the hardest episode overall, the hardest level I've come across to do this with, IMO, has been E4L8. That level is quite long for a par of just 4:30 to begin with, and it is VERY packed with resistance. In fact, I often had to use my score as a way to tell me whether or not I had left any stragglers behind that would sneak up and kill me later on. After too many tries to count, I beat it with SEVEN SECOUNDS to spare.

Part of the difficulty in that level is that you have to go a decent way it with just a pistol. While, on Episode 6, you'll see a machinegun and/or SS on each level relatively quickly, so you don't have to spend too long with just the pistol.

Now I know E4L8 contains a shortcut that lets me skip a good third to half of the level, but it is a pushwall that is not mandatory, so for me it was off-limits. Not that I'd say it would be easy even if I had used it, because there is only really one area (the red brick one) that I can skip entirely using the shortcut.

I also had to pull a strategy at the start of E4L5: knife my way through the dogs until I could reach the door, and then IMMEDIATELY close the door behind me leaving extra dogs behind. (Remember that I could not use the shotgun/ammo secret at the start, since that is not a mandatory secret.) I also had to use the non-mandatory (but non-secret) swastika-shaped room in the maze with the SS (for a machinegun), dinners, and ammo, before taking on the silver key resistance. And on E4L7 I had to go north at the start and get the chaingun BEFORE using the trick to jam the gold door with enemies. With just a pistol and fewer bullets, taking down that whole hoard and making sure I kill an enemy in the door is quite a challenge, I found. Yet in those two cases, I still managed to finish over a minute under par once I used the right strategy at the start (yes, I did E4L7 in around a minute even taking the detour to the chaingun at the start).

The other levels so far - some were easier and others tougher, but those levels in E4 represent the toughest one (E4L8) and the two most strategic starts (E4L5 and E4L7) I've come across.

Last edited by WolfForever on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

Post by WolferCooker Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Well there are videos up on Youtube with the original Wolf3d music in IMF format. Some have decent quality while others don't. I guess recording them manually is the only way.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Original game challenges (Now loosened somewhat with four to choose from!)

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Well, we're going to have to define "quality" here. I like Wolf3d and all, but for me to listen to its music like other tracks I have, I'm going to require more, and nothing a IMF can pull out.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Well as far as quality goes, some sound crisp and clear while others sound loud and muffled.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:44 pm

Totenschlauss is great. I dig Tautengröber a little more though, and Project Weilandergung is equally good.

Oh, I'm sorry, I just thought I'd stepped into the world of word cockup-accepting.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:52 am

Oh, I'm sorry, I just thought I'd stepped into the world of word cockup-accepting.

Well you do like to flip off the Wolf Community. It is your hobbie after all Cool
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:17 am

Yes, indeed it is my hobbie with ie instead of y. What's this forum base language anyway, French?!
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:18 am

Thomas wrote:Yes, indeed it is my hobbie with ie instead of y. What's this forum base language anyway, French?!
    Yes.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:18 am

Poly vous a humma humma?
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 am

Andy wrote:Poly vous a humma humma?
    Google translate didn't recognize the language... clown

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Doesn't translate gibberish.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:11 pm

All fingers crossed and this will be LIVE in a couple hours:

https://youtu.be/D5ChekH0Osk
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Heh. Good luck with that.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Good luck with what?
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm

With trying to keep your gameplay LIVE.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:47 pm

All I mean by live is that the video will be up and hopefully there will be some interest to watch and enjoy it. Smile
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Oh... my bad.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:54 pm

I hope some people on here will be interested once it's uploaded. Smile

Any ideas as to what I can do to draw attention at least on this forum and/or DHW?
    Valts
    Valts
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 384
    Job : Student (Estonian University of Life Sciences)
    Hobbie : reading, history, poker, billiard and snooker, gaming
    Registration date : 2007-05-16

Post by Valts Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Honestly, I have played On I am Death Incarnate only a few times and I used secrets. Yes, I saved and restoring and time was not under par time. My answer is : no.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:05 pm

WolfForever wrote:I hope some people on here will be interested once it's uploaded. Smile

Any ideas as to what I can do to draw attention at least on this forum and/or DHW?
    Pay a few credits, have a banner message on this forum. Then give out cake.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:11 pm

That's one way to put it, Wizzie.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Okay there was a small mistake, I forgot to enable longer than 15 minute uploads so my initial upload was instantly deleted. Sad

But I found a way to shrink the filesize some and honed my skills in even more, so the new upload is on its way and hopefully should be ready within about an hour! Smile

Here's the eventual link: https://youtu.be/GFiqrL0fDQA
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:12 pm

The video is up! Follow the link above and enjoy! Smile

Commentary is highly welcome! Smile
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 am

Where the hell is that cake?!
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:28 pm

There is a new video up - Episode 3:

https://youtu.be/JzWbHiyMuT8
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm waiting for episode 6, my good sir. Smile I have not done (or attempted) finishing last level under your rules of no saves/secrets for E6L9 yet. With saves, yes.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 pm

No on E6L9 it will be no saves with the first secret area. If all supplies in a boss level are in a secret area, at least one secret with ammo and one with health (can be the same secret for both, i.e. E1L9) are considered mandatory.

I'd think Episode 6 would have to be last (for the original Wolfenstein) because it's the longest, toughest levels, unless those mutants in Episode 2 are what ultimately kill me most on speedruns no matter what I do.

Next episode is a surprise though, til it's announced. Smile Oh, and announced means I have finished recording the video. Honestly I pretty much decided E3 out of the blue, mainly because it has a lot of relatively small levels. E1 has big layouts but also lots of big rooms/areas and the biggest challenge is just knowing the path to the key and then the locked door, E2 has the mutants and I don't care about anything else, E3 and E5 are fairly compact especially the first halves, and E4 and E6 have pretty extensive layouts but ultimately E6 takes much longer (and is much harder).

p.s. Looking in a map of E3L7 - does anyone know why there are formations of the letters J, R, O, T, and H on that level?
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:49 pm

J R O is likely John Romero and T H are most likely Tom Hall. Wild guess. Had no idea about these till you mentioned it. Boo-ya! God, I'm so clever! *kisses muscles I pretend to have*
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 160
    Hobbie : Games
    Registration date : 2011-12-25

Post by linuxwolf Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:32 pm

I'd like to see what happens when you play according to the following rules:

1. Kill as few enemies as possible (zero kills is ideal but not always possible).
    2. Play on the hardest skill level.
    3. Finish map as fast as you can.

The first rule is the most important.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Maybe that'll be my next challenge...but emphasis on 1 is going to be super tough. Any room with several enemies in it will be like a death sentence to try and run through. Especially if they include Officers or SS (or mutants).
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:41 pm

New video - Episode 2 (yes I decided to take on 'em mutants!), I am just going to put all three links here for convenience Smile

Episode 2 (new): https://youtu.be/OkgC0THteNo
    Episode 3: https://youtu.be/JzWbHiyMuT8
    Episode 4: https://youtu.be/GFiqrL0fDQA

Enjoy! Smile
    Ipank7000
    Ipank7000
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Male
    Number of posts : 42
    Job : Studying in Indonesia University (Universitas Indonesia)
    Registration date : 2011-04-21

Post by Ipank7000 Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:47 pm

If anyone want to see i did episode 5.
    And it tried episode 2 too and wow, i failed over and over again especially in level 4.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Well I don't want to watch it before I beat Episode 5 myself, as I'd not feel right if I watched someone else do it before I did it myself (or at least tried).

However, please don't take that as an insult at all - I am absolutely interested and will watch it as soon as I am done...I see it's under 15:00 so great job I know already! Smile (EDIT: Missed the part 2, but it is still pretty short. Smile BTW there is an option on YouTube to enable video length >15 minutes. It's free and all, I just had to have a voice call to my phone with a verification code. That was it.)

Also Episode 5 may be my next episode, after I annotate Episode 4...just not much in the mood for Episode 1, it's obviously a classic being shareware but it is my least favorite episode. This is just another reason to do E5 myself next! Smile

Hopefully no one will object if I just skip Episode 1 for now. Or I can record a video (it doesn't take that long) but not annotate it. I just can't think of that much to comment on, other than that it was shareware and how Wolf3D ultimately made its debut. It's a classic, no doubt about that, but I just think all the other episodes make better videos.

And I'd like to do Spear of Destiny afterwards...now THAT is going to be one BIG video, plus I'll have to keep my concentration going for TWICE as long!

Regarding Episode 2, I hope you just enjoy my video then. Smile Maybe it'll even help you do it yourself...
    Ipank7000
    Ipank7000
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Male
    Number of posts : 42
    Job : Studying in Indonesia University (Universitas Indonesia)
    Registration date : 2011-04-21

Post by Ipank7000 Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Thank you for information about > 15 minutes video.

There is a mistake that i go to secret door in level 9 which we can directly go to room with full ammo and we don't need to go secret door and kill the boss with machinegun.

Good luck for try spear of destiny, it will be great video Smile.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Just finished doing comments on my Episode 4 video! Smile All three episodes so far have them now.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:36 pm

I decided to do Episode 1 for completion sake if nothing else. It doesn't have much commentary but it will be here when it's ready:

https://youtu.be/spgOVLxnOLs

Episode 5 will be next, then Episode 6! I'll probably get them both up then add comments, unless popular demand says otherwise.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:10 am

Still waiting to comment on E6L9 when you get to it.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:47 am

Maybe if enough people harang WolfForever, he'll actually do it. I might try doing that level without secrets OR saving in between the level. That really adds the stress level, because the longer you survive, the closer you are to beating the starting point, the more you have to lose on a messup. Moreso for WolfForever.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:49 am

Hey I wanna see with my own eyes on how he did E6L9. Talking about it ain't cutting it this time.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:50 am

He never said he did it, in fact he said he's not going to do it. I said I'll do it, but I'm not going to start from level 1 and work all the way up to 9.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:52 am

LOL you lie!
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 am

I did do it... from level 9 with saving. Now without saving will make it that much more difficult.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:58 am

And Forever doesn't have the balls to try?
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:59 am

Well, if you have to play levels 1-9 each time and replay all of it each time you lose all of your lives, that will suck. But it's a good challenge if he has the time and is up for it. (ANd he still cant use any saves...)

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:02 am

If I would do it, I play levels 1-8 like I always do, and then not save on Level 9.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:05 am

WolferCooker wrote:If I would do it, I play levels 1-8 like I always do, and then not save on Level 9.
    That kills the entire point of playing 1-8. I'll attempt 9 without saving tommorrow. Actually, because it's 1am, later today.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:07 am

You !#% rookies, I dun E6M9 wit ma toooes two times in a row and I had a headache that day! Boo, WolfForever!

And I did it with only a knife and a missile launcher Havoc coded in for me.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:09 am

Ha! 3 hour time difference between us bro.

Anyway, someone on Youtube successfully killed Hans Grosse with nothing but a pistol
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 am

HUH?! Thomas I want that version of Wolf3d now.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 am

WolferCooker wrote:

Anyway, someone on Youtube successfully killed Hans Grosse with nothing but a pistol
    So what? That's so easy to do. I can knife Hans to death. That's not even that impressive, it's just very annoying to do.
    Play SHS with a pistol and eight rounds each level. I've done it. Now that's harder to do. You want a challenge, the challenge is staring at your face. (Or frustration, whichever you prefer to call it.)

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 am

I'd ragequit. If I couldn't beat Totenschlauss with all the weapons at my disposal for 4 days, then there's no way i'd be in decent shape to play SHS with a pistol and 8 rounds.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:32 pm