Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

3 posters

Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens

Poll

How do these 60 maps stack up, overall?

[ 4 ]
    Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_left67%Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_right [67%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_left17%Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_left16%Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_right [16%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_left0%Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_left0%Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 6
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Empty Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens

Post by WolfForever Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Full 60-level set in the vein of original Wolf3D, probably fairly well-known. How do these maps rank, in your opinion?

It looks pretty good to me, but I've only taken a very quick look.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Empty Re: Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens

Post by Thomas Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:35 am

Serpens is the best - great maps, good flow and very original in style. I remember when I downloaded it first, I thought it was something I'd made on my own. lol! Some maps had a certain similarity. But then again, how many maps with the original set-up can be made and NOT remind of each other? Tough job.

But this is a wonderful set. Hopefully soon in SDL as well.....
    WolfForever

Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens Empty Re: Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, by serpens

Post by WolfForever Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:19 am

Thomas wrote:Serpens is the best - great maps, good flow and very original in style. I remember when I downloaded it first, I thought it was something I'd made on my own. lol! Some maps had a certain similarity. But then again, how many maps with the original set-up can be made and NOT remind of each other? Tough job.

But this is a wonderful set. Hopefully soon in SDL as well.....

Good to hear...anything you like I'll probably like too. Smile

@Thomas, how would you rate this in comparison to your own set W.O.L.F.? (i.e. better, worse, or about the same?) I ask because the two sets seem very similar/comparable to each other.

Last edited by WolfForever on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding a smile)
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Schabbs Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 am

Although they are in the vein of the originals, the levels still have Serpens' own individual style. The standard of mapping is very high. They are designed well and the decoration looks just about right. The objects are well placed and look good but they don't look too cluttered. A very enjoyable set of levels.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:13 am

Schabbs wrote:Although they are in the vein of the originals, the levels still have Serpens' own individual style. The standard of mapping is very high. They are designed well and the decoration looks just about right. The objects are well placed and look good but they don't look too cluttered. A very enjoyable set of levels.

Wow, all this commentry is really making me want to go play the set! I'm playing W.O.L.F. right now and that's the main reason I'm wondering if the two sets are comparable in quality or not really - since they do seem to suggest some similarity just by reading about them.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:56 pm

I also think they're hand in hand. A LOT of similarity. But that's what happens. Me and Serpens have a pretty similar style in a lot of places... Funny how I thought I was the only one who could see that.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:19 am

Average? Somewhat surprised to see that vote come in. Too bad these polls are anonymous. Sad Still, it can give a good picture of the community opinion.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Halfway through (first three episodes). From what I've seen they're in fact the weaker half, but they were generally quite enjoyable, so I really look forward to the last three! Only funny thing I've noticed is mutants are used in levels outside Episode 2, and Episode 2 has at least a few levels with few or no mutants - out of spirit with the original game. But it didn't affect the fun value. Oh, and clever secret exit on E3L7, if I didn't use saves there's no way I'd have gotten it right on the first playthrough!
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Finished all 6 episodes! The latter 3 are easily the better, the first 3 are good too though. This one's at least very good overall, probably excellent (as I initially voted, I believe). Only complaint was that mutant maps were spread out throughout the game; they should belong to E2, not much (if any) an affect to game fun though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:54 am