Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

3 posters

Wolf4SDL and Sod4SDL not compiling properly

filipetolhuizen
    filipetolhuizen
    Lucky
    Lucky

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2010-03-13

Wolf4SDL and Sod4SDL not compiling properly Empty Wolf4SDL and Sod4SDL not compiling properly

Post by filipetolhuizen Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi,
    I've been trying to compile Wolf4sdl and Sod4sdl with a minor modification. I'd like to set VBLs to 0 so I don't have to change it everytime I run the game. I found and changed that parameter in the source code and succesfully compiled it in Dev-C++ following every instruction. However, the .exe gets 60kb bigger than the 1.6 original one and runs way slower. What could I be doing wrong?

Last edited by filipetolhuizen on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra information)
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 643
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark
    Hobbie : Staying Out Of Sunlight
    Message : Wolfenstein:Umbrella Beginnings Episode 2 released! Download now!

Registration date : 2008-08-09

Wolf4SDL and Sod4SDL not compiling properly Empty Re: Wolf4SDL and Sod4SDL not compiling properly

Post by jayngo26 Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Hello, welcome to the madness.

I don't have a lot of experience with the SDL side of the code yet, but I am wondering why you want to change VBLs. Running mods on SDL should be ok as far as "speed" wise. As far as the exe getting bigger, that shouldn't be a huge deal. Every mod exe gets bigger as more stuff is added. Maybe it runs slower because you are lowering the VBLs? Just a guess.

http://jayngoware.com/

Wolf4SDL and Sod4SDL not compiling properly Empty Re: Wolf4SDL and Sod4SDL not compiling properly

Post by Guest Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi Dennis!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    filipetolhuizen
    filipetolhuizen
    Lucky
    Lucky

Post by filipetolhuizen Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:38 am

jayngo26 wrote:Hello, welcome to the madness.

I don't have a lot of experience with the SDL side of the code yet, but I am wondering why you want to change VBLs. Running mods on SDL should be ok as far as "speed" wise. As far as the exe getting bigger, that shouldn't be a huge deal. Every mod exe gets bigger as more stuff is added. Maybe it runs slower because you are lowering the VBLs? Just a guess.
    Lowering the VBL makes it run faster. Wolf4SDL has 1 VBL by default and I'd like to change it to 0, like the original Wolf3d, for smooth gameplay. However, my .exes are running slower than they should.
    And Chokster37, thank you! Which .exes have the best speed optimization?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi Walter!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    filipetolhuizen
    filipetolhuizen
    Lucky
    Lucky

Post by filipetolhuizen Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:45 pm

The speed3 gave me similar performance to the original win32 build with 0 VBL turned on. I wonder how he compiled that, because it's 274.432 bytes. I was wondering if you could also compile a SOD set (my compiler doesn't have all those options), if not too much I ask of you. This would help a lot because it starts in front of vines, and my build totally choke in that part, while the original ran silk-smooth with 0 VBL.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Patrick!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:32 pm

What is the point of Vbls? They jsut make you lag.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    filipetolhuizen
    filipetolhuizen
    Lucky
    Lucky

Post by filipetolhuizen Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:05 pm

Yes, that's why I wanna change the value to 0 as it was in the original Wolf3d.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Peter!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:25 am; edited 4 times in total
    filipetolhuizen
    filipetolhuizen
    Lucky
    Lucky

Post by filipetolhuizen Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Thank you very much. Now the last thing I'd like to ask you... Could you compile again the original wolf but in VS2005 to see if it matches the speed of Ripper's? I'd have the perfect versions of the game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am