Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+3
Schabbs
WolfForever
Tenamk
7 posters

Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning

Poll

Which W3D engine game is most enjoyable?

[ 7 ]
    Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_left44%Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_right [44%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_left19%Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_right [19%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_left0%Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_left6%Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_right [6%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_left6%Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_right [6%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_left0%Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 2 ]
    Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_left13%Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 1 ]

Total Votes: 16
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Empty Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Which one do you think is most fun to play? I vote for SOD.

I was comtemplating voting for Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. I had that game as a child and really liked it. But looking at it about 10 years later...it just seems to lack that "something". I don't know, certainly you don't have to agree. I'm in the process of playing Planet Strike and ROTT for the first time. ROTT seems to have the most potential. Never cared for C7 or OP:BC much. Other games (like Noah's Ark or that sort) I've never really thought about looking at, but I left the option in just in case one of you find one of those games to be the most fun of all.

Of course, the original Wolf3D is also great, it's a classic, and would be close second vote to SOD for me. Don't like the SOD mission packs as much though, esp. Return to Danger.

In addition to the main poll I'd also be interested in just (roughly) how you'd order them for fun value (at least the ones you have) - or even descriptions like I've posted above.
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Empty Re: Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning

Post by Schabbs Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:13 pm

My top three would be:
    1. Wolf 3D
    2. Spear of Destiny
    3. ROTT

I like all 3 but put Wolf 3D first because of the wider range of different scenarios. Spear is more atmospheric but the design of the levels doesn't seem as good overall. ROTT has good scenarios too and comes across well even though it's set at a later time than Wolf 3D.

The two Blake Stone's are ok level-wise but the scenarios don't appeal to me as much personally. Same with Corridor 7 and Op Bodycount. I'd place all these under the Top Three but not right at the bottom.

The two Spear mission packs I would place last. They come across as plasticky and rushed, as though Formgen made them on the quick just to cash in on the game. The level design at best is adequate.

I have played the full version of Noah's Ark. What is there is done well but all the atmosphere from the original Wolf 3D has gone. The quiz feature fits in well though. I'd place it just above the Spear mission packs.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    WolfForever

Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning Empty Re: Most fun game of W3D engines - Also some description/reasoning

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Very nice post, I enjoyed reading it. Smile It actually agrees with my own opinions fairly well for the most part. The main reason I picked SOD over Wolf3D is because the level size is generally bigger in SOD, and I'm a fan of extensiveness. But I do agree with you when I think about it, the actual design is at least just as good in Wolf3D IMO. So when I come to think about a bit more deeply, it's almost a stalemate between Wolf3D and SOD for #1. I think SOD might still make it into #1 for me just by the tiniest bit - but when I consider all things there's an argument for Wolf3D to be my #1 as well - again, as I said, VERY close for me - basically so close I'm tempted to just call it a tie for now, but SOD it remains in the poll since I already voted.

I agree with the SOD mission packs being at (or at least near) the bottom. Certainly Return to Danger, I thought that was downright poor, with so many levels you can beat doing practically nothing (just off the top of my head - 7, 9, 11, 12, 14 instantly ring a bell), necessary items in secrets, and so on. I do think Ultimate Challenge is a bit better though, but only relatively average. And these mission pack ranks still don't consider the fact that FormGen never bothered to change the par times, end-level screens, fit appropriate skies to the maps, etc. - that makes them really feel even more "unpolished".

Oh, and your post really is exactly the type I'm interested in seeing on this thread (whether it agrees w/ my own thoughts or not). Smile
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:52 am

I picked good old Wolf. As a kid, you know, you want everything to happen like that, and get so far in every game you put your mind to. That wasn't the case with original Wolf, at least not the very first time I played the whole thing. I loved the way you had to come across that tough level 1 in Episode 6, and back when all I had was the shareware version, I thought about and dreamed about how the real game would turn out. And I got pleasantly surprised. And another reason why original Wolf was my pick, is that I never owned "Spear of Destiny" or any of those other games listed up there. I've played SoD a couple of times, but I remember I only sat through the whole thing once... And it wasn't half as funny. Part of the reason could be that I was older, and it didn't contain anything I hadn't seen yet... But it was really, really dull compared to the original Wolf, in my opinion.
    Tenamk
    Tenamk
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 303
    Job : Spy
    Hobbie : Kick S.S.'s butt
    Message : Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayWolf3D
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by Tenamk Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:42 am

A little note: In the poll, it is written : Rist of The Triad and it is Rise of The Triad. Correct please tongue

I won the first forum raffle! cheers

Dark_wizzie's signature: Nobody is perfect, I am nobody. Copier of my siggy will be severely pwned.
    Tenamk says: Oh crap!
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:22 am

I noticed that just after I posted the poll but can't edit it. Anyone who is able to feel free to correct. Sorry for typo.
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Schabbs Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 pm

Tenamk wrote:A little note: In the poll, it is written : Rist of The Triad and it is Rise of The Triad. Correct please tongue

Corrected. Very Happy

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    yellowmadness54
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2011-02-20

Post by yellowmadness54 Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:03 pm

I like mission packs best...and I think im the only one that does.

But come on, how does operation body count place higher than SoD packs?

Operation body count is absolutely horrible in my view :/
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:29 am

yellowmadness54 wrote:But come on, how does operation body count place higher than SoD packs?

Operation body count is absolutely horrible in my view :/
    I agree. I think the mission packs were pretty lousy though, however, the last one, "SOD3" in abbreviation, is all right. It's got great maps. The graphics need an acquired taste. clown

Bodycount is good fun, but it's one of those "awesomely bad" things. The guards, the sounds, the entire atmosphere is so sludgy and closed-in... I'm a big fan of the Wolf-style pushwalls though.
    yellowmadness54
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by yellowmadness54 Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:15 am

I liked rise of triad despite the fact I never beat a level in it.

No...I never reached the end. in my gameplay videos I always die mid way and rage quit, haha.
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 491
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post by Akuul Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 am

Rise of the Triad
    yellowmadness54
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by yellowmadness54 Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Akuul wrote: Rise of the Triad
    I have to agree.

I love wolf3D alot, but I certainly share far more lovins for other DOS games IE doom, heretic, RoTT, BLOOD (which is my favorite), shadow warrior, etc.

Not that wolf3D is bad, but it gives me motion sickness alot and maze maps get me lost, and being lost in wolf is something that can last for 30 minutes of pure frustration.

Speaking of which, I ordered RoTT off ebay. Yeah, I can download it for free, but that excludes the awesome manuel, cover, etc.

So now im collecting old DOS game boxes and CD jewel cases.
    How awesome is that?

I wish there were more of these games. Screw Call of Duty.
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Akuul Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:36 am

yellowmadness54 wrote:..Not that wolf3D is bad, but ...
    I think that the future "W3D engine" it "Wolf4SDL". My favourite "SDL-mods" it "Castle Totenkopf SDL" and "Spear Of Destiny Reloaded". "Trail Of Schabbs" It while demo.. but very promising project
    And still very much it is pleasant to me Marathon trilogy
    yellowmadness54
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by yellowmadness54 Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Akuul wrote:
    yellowmadness54 wrote:..Not that wolf3D is bad, but ...
    I think that the future "W3D engine" it "Wolf4SDL". My favourite "SDL-mods" it "Castle Totenkopf SDL" and "Spear Of Destiny Reloaded". "Trail Of Schabbs" It while demo.. but very promising project
    And still very much it is pleasant to me Marathon trilogy
    ooooh how I hate f***ing marathon...

but thats because Im a doom fan and halo dorks seem to LOVE comparing the two.

Idk, marathon to me is just bland. The first one was good, the second was the same thing as the first but with just stupider looking guns, and marathon 3's screen is a tiny pixely screen and every gun is just and oval on a stick.

ANy one here play shadow warrior? now THAT is an awesome game Wink
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Akuul Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:47 pm

yellowmadness54 wrote:..Idk, marathon to me is just bland.
    Not all levels. There are many rigid and dynamical episodes. For example "G4 Sunbathing" where it is necessary to be constantly in movement, to fill up stocks oxygen in Marathon 1. Or "Curiouser And Curiouser" in Marathon 2.. and so on.. As a whole game Marathon is unique for genre FPS. It is possible to tell it game-book where a lot of text. It was the first FPS in which important role played a plot. Later the similar have repeated Half Life, Unreal ..
    Usually I speak so - Bungie Software have set an example science-fiction game, a thriller. iD Software have taught to create games insurgents, games horrors.

yellowmadness54 wrote:..marathon 3's screen is a tiny pixely screen..
    For a long time already is hi-res textures and landscapes, hi-res sprites with weapon..
    Now Marathon comes nearer here to such kind.
    https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/f/pic11b.jpg/
    https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/f/bild9l.jpg/

yellowmadness54 wrote:..ANy one here play shadow warrior?
    Played in 1997. Good game.
    Geminize
    Geminize
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male
    Number of posts : 5
    Hobbie : Messing up with DOSBox
    Registration date : 2011-03-11

Post by Geminize Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:13 am

yellowmadness54 wrote:Screw Call of Duty.
    THAT comment is over 9000!!!

Meh.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:02 pm