Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

3 posters

PML_OpenPageFile: Unable to open page file?

Ponos
    Ponos
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male
    Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2016-09-21

PML_OpenPageFile: Unable to open page file?  Empty PML_OpenPageFile: Unable to open page file?

Post by Ponos Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:52 pm

*See new post*

Hello Wolfensteiners,

I am working on a little mod and was able to make some minor source code changes with tutorials, but there is one thing, I can't find a tutorial for. I want to have the entrance to the secret level on floor 2. Because I am using the shareware Dos version of Wolf3D, the entrance is on floor 1 and when you exit, it warps you to floor 2. In my mod, I placed the entrance in floor 2, no problem there, but it warps you to the 2nd floor again, when you finish the secret level. I thought, that this would be a really easy thing to change, but it turned out to be the hardest part. Is there a way to change that? It would be really nice, when somebody could give me some advice!
    Greetings from Germany.

Last edited by Ponos on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
    Ponos
    Ponos
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male

PML_OpenPageFile: Unable to open page file?  Empty Re: PML_OpenPageFile: Unable to open page file?

Post by Ponos Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:24 am

Okay, I guess I found something myself on the AEeyeP page, but there is another problem, I encounter several times now. Every time, I want to open my *prj again, I get this message: "Invalid configuration file: C:\Wolfsrc\wolf3d.prj"
    Whats wrong? As I said, its happened more than once.
    Officer-Michael John
    Officer-Michael John
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 332
    Hobbie : Video and Wolf 3D mode making
    Registration date : 2014-08-04

PML_OpenPageFile: Unable to open page file?  Empty Re: PML_OpenPageFile: Unable to open page file?

Post by Officer-Michael John Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:38 am

Hi Ponos! I am Protokol Cateko from Youtube. You like going to secret level from level 2? If yes then you need this:

WL_GAME.C:

Code:
    //
    // ELEVATOR BACK MAPS - REMEMBER (-1)!!
    //
    int ElevatorBackTo[]={2,1,7,3,5,3};

I don't know coding for DOS. Only for 4GW so as DOS version,but easyr code compiling and SDL.
    Ponos
    Ponos
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male

Post by Ponos Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:08 am

Oh, hi there Protokol Cateko. Nice to meet you. Okay, that should do it, thank you. I will try that, when I get the compiler running again. I messed around with the Signon and now I can't open it anymore. I'm such a noob!
    Officer-Michael John
    Officer-Michael John
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Officer-Michael John Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:10 am

You're welcome! You use Borland 3.1 C++ on Wolf 3D DOS source code?
    Ponos
    Ponos
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male

Post by Ponos Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:20 am

Yes I do. It appears, that you can fuck up your project very quickly. For one, there is the error I mentioned earlier and now, I have messed up the Signon stuff and can't open the project any more, because the Signon stuff is messed up. Well... maybe its because, I write code the first time in my life. Wink
    Officer-Michael John
    Officer-Michael John
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Officer-Michael John Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:52 pm

You use a code compiling tutorial?
    Ponos
    Ponos
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male

Post by Ponos Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:09 am

Yes, I do. I don't know, where this error comes from.
    Officer-Michael John
    Officer-Michael John
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Officer-Michael John Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:39 am

I don't know too,that why you get errors.  Rolling Eyes
    Ponos
    Ponos
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male

Post by Ponos Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:23 pm

I think, I figured out: I was just using Borland wrong. Embarassed

But here is another Problem:
    When I start Wolf3D I immediately get the error: "PML_OpenPageFile: Unable to open page file". My fist thought was, that it must be the Signon pic, because I changed it, I compared the code with the tut from AReyeP and couldn't find a mistake. Also, I once used that tut without any problems. So maybe its another reason, why that error pops up. Any Ideas?
    Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2012-11-01

Post by Mega Luigi Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:14 pm

That error is something that is somewhat obscure (to me, at least). It has to do with reading data from the page file, and I would guess that it is very unlikely that you attempted to change anything related to that. It's really hard to determine what could be causing that with the available information, I'm afraid. My best advice for you would to either undo all the changes you made (providing you remember exactly where and what you changed) or to go back to an older version that doesn't present that problem.

I'm not really sure if this will sound too obvious for you, and excuse me if it does, but it is a good idea not to do many changes at once, because tracking the cause of problems like that one can be a real pain.

By the way, is there any particular reason for you to use the DOS version instead of SDL? If that's your personal preference, no problem on that. However, if you just chose DOS because that's how the original game was made, maybe it could be a good idea for you to use the SDL version. Personally, I think the DOS version is way to limited, and having to use Borland is. at the best, a nuisance.

Anyway, I'm just presenting some general tips and ideas for you, sorry for not being able to help with your specific problem. For what it's worth, seemingly untraceable bugs appear from time to time for everyone Cool. If you have any question concerning anything I said (or not), I'll be happy to help you the best I can Smile.
    Ponos
    Ponos
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male

Post by Ponos Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:24 am

Thank you for your reply, Mega Luigi. Sorry, that I can't provide more infos than that.I guess its hard to track down, so I will stat again with an earlier version and keep your up to date here!
    I used the DOS-Version, because I always played Wolf3D or Mods in DOS. This seemed to me like a good starting point. Well, for the next mod (I have Ideas already ^^) I should try SDL, thats a good idea!
    Btw. I played a mod of yours. Weltgericht! Very nice! Smile
    Ponos
    Ponos
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male

Post by Ponos Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:57 am

I found the reason for that message. I used this tutorial: www.areyep.com/Codingtips/readthis.html and it doesn't work for me. The changes in the VERSION.H caused that error. Any tips? I still want to enable the help text the easy way!

Btw.: Does somebody know, where I can change the color the black stripe in the menu? Somewhere in the WL_MENU.H I guess?

EDIT: Okay, Its not that, but it has to do with it. The Endart/Helpart had the wrong file extensions. I simply renamed them and the game started. But I am not able to get to the helpscreen. In the best case, I see a black screen with the music still going and then it crashes.

EDIT: It works! Don't ask me why. I just compiled it again and now it works. Well...
    Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Mega Luigi Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:16 pm

Glad to know it worked in the end, after all. You'd better put that "compile again" strategy in your utility belt (and if you don't have an utility belt, you should know the whole lot you're missing...) Cool.

Anyway, it's been ages since I messed up with DOS code, but I can answer you question about the stripes for SDL. Most of the time, it won't be that different anyway. There's a function called "DrawStripes" in WL_MENU.C. Search for it, and there are two other function calls inside, and you can alter the color by changing the last number of those two. I suggest you try some different values on both of them to see for yourself what exactly changes in each case.

The hexadecimal numbers that represent the colors are:
    PML_OpenPageFile: Unable to open page file?  Palette

Just in case you were not aware of that Smile
    Officer-Michael John
    Officer-Michael John
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Officer-Michael John Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:15 am

Hey Ponos! You coding for 4GW as DOS. 4GW code compiling easyr as DOS. I use 4GW and SDL code.
    Ponos
    Ponos
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male

Post by Ponos Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks guys for your help! Smile I am done with coding for now, but next time, I will try out SDL. Now there are just a few fine tunings to do, like some level balancing and a few graphics, before the mod is finished. Thank you Mega Luigi for the color guide! Smile
    I will post it here, when its done. Smile
    Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by Mega Luigi Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Glad to help Smile. Good luck with the rest you need to do.
    Officer-Michael John
    Officer-Michael John
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male

Post by Officer-Michael John Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:58 am

You're welcome! So error I was also. You try with this:

WL_GAME.C

Code:
    #ifndef SPEAR
    /*
                    //
                    // COMING BACK FROM SECRET LEVEL
                    //
                    if (gamestate.mapon == 9)
                        gamestate.mapon = ElevatorBackTo[gamestate.episode];    // back from secret
                    else
                        //
                        // GOING TO SECRET LEVEL
                        //
                        if (playstate == ex_secretlevel)
                            gamestate.mapon = 9;
    */ 
    #else

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 pm