Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

another noob question - maximum number of actors or sprites on screen

dvdb
    Lucky
    Lucky

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2013-12-14

another noob question - maximum number of actors or sprites on screen Empty another noob question - maximum number of actors or sprites on screen

Post by dvdb Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:10 am

Hello all,

For my little level pack/TC I encountered another problem. In one level I created a rather large room (not ridiculous, but just sizeable) with a 10+ number of enemies. It's sort of a chapel with soldiers attending mass. Turning mass into massacre and you'll get the idea.

Yet in my dos box (I run one on Windows 7 and one on Mac OSX, different computers) not all sprites can be seen at once. As soon as the enemies start moving, some simply vanish from sight. The still shoot and I can still hear them. If I just start blasting with the machine gun they do drop dead. Their corpse is visible and sometimes you seem some flashes of them appear. At the end of the fight, when nothing moves again, all the corpses that should be there appear to be visible, but I cannot be sure of this (I always lose count because they sort of pile up).

In WDC there is an option that says IGNORE MAXACTORS or a MAXACTOR number. Is this what I am looking for? Or is there another way to increase the number of enemies that can be seen in one screen at a time? (is this like the map size in my earlier question topic?).

Again help would be really apprenticed. I almost finished the levels and like this I can give my girlfriend a nice level pack as a Christmas gift!

another noob question - maximum number of actors or sprites on screen Empty Re: another noob question - maximum number of actors or sprites on screen

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:24 am

Hi Dwayne!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
    dvdb
    Lucky
    Lucky

another noob question - maximum number of actors or sprites on screen Empty Re: another noob question - maximum number of actors or sprites on screen

Post by dvdb Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:30 am

Oh, this means recompiling right? I have no idea how to do this. 

There is no editor around that can handle this kind of data?

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:43 am

Hi Dwight!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dvdb
    Lucky
    Lucky

Post by dvdb Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:56 am

Is there some kind of noob proof tutorial for that? I cannot find one through google.

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:08 am

Hi Armando!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dvdb
    Lucky
    Lucky

Post by dvdb Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:22 pm

At this point I don't seem to be able to get a decent exe file out of it. Abnormal Program Termination is the best result I had so far.

I open BC in Windows 98 on VirtualBox and at my last attempt I got no single error while compiling. If only I understood what I was doing!

Is there maybe a max value? Or anything i did miss?

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi Felix!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dvdb
    Lucky
    Lucky

Post by dvdb Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:06 pm

Doing the above doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe the files I work with are different, since I used Chemical Warfare as a basis.

I must admit this is all quite confusing for me. I will give it some thought and see if it might not be a lot easier to change my levels a bit and remove a number of guards.

Yet my whole Wolf3d adventure feels a bit like a victory. The pro of being a noob is that you are allowed to feel happy for succeeding in the simplest of things. So it has to be the 25 levels, some new textures, revamping the mutant skin, drawing a guard with a knife as a replacement for dogs (animal lover..), replaced music and splash screens it is now.

Maybe I can share it one day if it's good enough, to give something back to the community for their support!

Thank you Chokster37 for all your advice and support!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am