Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+7
WolfForever
Poet
Metalor
ronwolf1705
stathmk
lilmanjs
giftmacher
11 posters

Dome awards - Were they deserved? + Applicable mapset/mod thoughts

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Dome awards - Were they deserved? + Applicable mapset/mod thoughts - Page 4 Empty Dome awards - Were they deserved? + Applicable mapset/mod thoughts

Post by WolfForever Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

The Dome awards had gone on for a decade, starting in 2002, before being discontinued this year. However, while there were many, many projects that got a well-deserved award, I feel there were also, sometimes, awards given out to releases that overall didn't really deserve one.

Therefore, I thought I'd create a thread to discuss, focusing on one year at a time (from most to least recent), the deservability of releases which received awards that year. Thus the year of focus will start on 2011. There is no fixed amount of time in which the discussion will be on any particular year; it will be more determined by that when responses start dropping off for a particular year, I'll consider changing the focus to the previous year. So there is no need to cover a whole year at once since it'll pretty much be the centerpoint as long as participation suggests it should be. And it is okay to talk about a particular release from a different year if it happens to really be in your mind at a given time; the year of focus is just a guideline so we aren't all looking at hundreds of awards at once.

The talk can be as simple as "deserved" or "did not deserve" if you'd like, with maybe just a few quick thoughts on why, or you can feel free to make an explanation or even a mini-review of the release if you'd like. So there's no real minimum or maximum amount of detail for this. Smile And there is no need to comment on every award (even if I do) - preferably mention the ones you've played at least but in the end, it's your choice.

All awards can be found here. So let the discussion begin! Smile I'll always have the current year of focus at the very bottom of this post for convenience.

Current year of focus: 2001 mentionables - use the Dome news archive (July-December 2001)

Note: After 2002, this thread will turn into a highlight of what I feel were some of the mentionable releases (still by month) of the previous few years; the possible would-have-been awards in my view per se.

Last edited by WolfForever on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:42 pm; edited 17 times in total
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Dome awards - Were they deserved? + Applicable mapset/mod thoughts - Page 4 Empty Re: Dome awards - Were they deserved? + Applicable mapset/mod thoughts

Post by doomjedi Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm

I loved snow theme, labs, and the many Bosses and new enemies
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1198
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Dome awards - Were they deserved? + Applicable mapset/mod thoughts - Page 4 Empty Re: Dome awards - Were they deserved? + Applicable mapset/mod thoughts

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I believe that is the first WSJ mod that put some of The Lost Episodes's textures and sprites to good use.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Some of the best laboratory levels in Wolf modding... And some of the first (am I right?) - really set a blueprint for further standard laboratory level fare. I know I got many of my detailing ideas and overall laboratory sprite usage from this game.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Yep. Could WSJ and AReyeP/MCS have been the ones that opened a Pandora's box of possibilities into Wolf3d modding?
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:32 pm

WolferCooker wrote:Eisenritter is DOS.

I'm starting to give up hope that WSJ would revamp all his mods. I don't think he has the time to do anymore Wolf3d modding.

Wizzie, try Totenschlauss. The last level is even harder than The Lost Relic.

Challenge accepted... Smile

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:30 pm

PS: Where can I download that? Can't find it...

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 pm

LOL c'mon Wizzie. You should have paid attention to your own site! Totenschlauss thread is under Miscellaneous Wolf3d Topics. Here's the link to download it.

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/209980-anvilstein-3d-castle-totenschloss
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:33 am

TotenSCHLOSS ffs... Rolling Eyes scared
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:59 am

Maps may be a little on the small and simple side, but the challenge of killing bosses more than offsets that.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:25 am

Thomas wrote:TotenSCHLOSS ffs... Rolling Eyes scared
    I copied and pasted Wolfercooker's spelling so I couldn't find anything lol. I knew he spellt it wrong but had no idea how to fix the typo.
    Now I remembered I played the first level of the game, style wasn't really Wolf though, so it's awkward for me. But I'll give it a shot.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm