Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

4 posters

What do you think about video game music?

Poll

What do you think about video game music?

[ 7 ]
    What do you think about video game music? Bar_left78%What do you think about video game music? Bar_right [78%] 
    [ 2 ]
    What do you think about video game music? Bar_left22%What do you think about video game music? Bar_right [22%] 
    [ 0 ]
    What do you think about video game music? Bar_left0%What do you think about video game music? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    What do you think about video game music? Bar_left0%What do you think about video game music? Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 9
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

What do you think about video game music? Empty What do you think about video game music?

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:47 am

I picked the first. Some people actually take video game music and have a guy play it at their wedding. Most were none-the-wiser. :-)

FINAL FANTASY is a good example. Basketball

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

What do you think about video game music? Empty Re: What do you think about video game music?

Post by Thomas Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:50 am

I like video game music, at least most of it. I don't play computer at all that much, so I haven't really heard anything outside of Wolf, Spear, RTCW, DooM and Unreal Tournament. Can't remember if there were any in CS when we used to multiplay that in the youth club. Long time ago, that.

UT has a more ambient/electronic feel, very good for something as spacy and futuristic (and indeed quite unrealistic) - that's a good one. Music in modern video games seem to be more spacy/techno/electronic and understated, which is a good thing, it doesn't affect gameplay, but it stops things from getting too tense and stressful.

I like DooM music 'cause of its metal roots. Heavy metal and old-school shooters somehow go hand in hand pretty well. 'Children of the Grave' by Black Sabbath I heard in Ariel's Golden Episodes... Perfect!

I suppose I also like Blake/Blood/whatever-music there have been in many Wolf mods over the years. WSJ's mods (especially Totenkopf SDL) has amazing, astonishing music, perfect for those types of mods.

That being said, the only place I listen to video game music is when I play. I could never listen to it out of the box. I'd rather rock out with my cock out than geek out with my freak out (or something)...

So I picked option #2.
    Tragos2d
    Tragos2d
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 140
    Job : Pouring gasoline on fires.
    Hobbie : Talent is so unpopular...
    Registration date : 2011-07-06

What do you think about video game music? Empty Re: What do you think about video game music?

Post by Tragos2d Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 pm

At the right moment it can heighten the mood or force the player into an emotional they otherwise might not have felt. That being said the best games or at least the one's to spook the hell outta me had no music. Doom had a great soundtrack but one could argue without music it became a lot spookier.

Just naming a few good oldies. Smile
    (AVP on the Jag, AVP on PC, Half-Life, FutureShock)
    Atina
    Atina
    ABC-123
    ABC-123

Female
    Number of posts : 123
    Hobbie : Nitpicking
    Registration date : 2010-09-09

Post by Atina Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwWO5l0Wj8&list=PL33CBDA6D362ED981&feature=plcp

I'm often listening to it.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am