Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+4
Dean
ronwolf1705
Thomas
Schabbs
8 posters

Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack)

Poll

As one of the all-time classics, what's your take on this mod?

[ 6 ]
    Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Bar_left100%Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Bar_right [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Bar_left0%Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Bar_left0%Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 6
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Empty Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack)

Post by WolfForever Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Obviously an extremely popular/classic mod, I've been working my way through all this over the last week or so. I felt the idea of no weapons on the first (two) scene(s) was not a good way to introduce things, but once past that point, this has been fantastic, professional enough that it really could have been a completely different game released commercially in the Wolf3D engine! But what's your thoughts regarding this classic?
    WolfForever

Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Empty Re: Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack)

Post by WolfForever Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:46 am

Played a little further, love the choice of two secret levels in Act 2. Smile
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Empty Re: Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack)

Post by Schabbs Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:43 am

Yes, it's one of those mods that seems like a new game. Virtually everything has been replaced and it has all been done so very professionally. It is an excellent game all round.

I didn't mind having no weapon for the first level and part of the second level though I can see why it can be annoying and I would have agreed with you had it gone on for much longer. Very Happy

It would be good to see the game in an SDL version with the higher resolution etc. to see if it can be even better.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 am

I can get it to run okay (as in, accpetable) for the most part in DosBox. Smile But yes, an eventual SDL version would always be most welcome.

I was turned off the first time I tried to play the game by the no weapons problem at the beginning. That was around 2008, I think. But this game has its status as such a classic that I felt I needed to give it a second chance, and after slogging my way through the beginning*, it has been an absolute blast since, and I've just about forgotten my negative first impression.

*Shameful to admit but I actually semi-skipped the beginning. I played the first two scenes on easy just ignoring most of the bad guys, then used orb -butcher and warped myself to scene 3 (which only has one entry point as far as I know) on medium, playing as normal since. I'm so glad Adam Biser didn't freeze your score for cheating. Smile Honestly, I do regret cheating any time I have to, but I didn't see need to "torture" my way through the ill-fated beginning to play the rest of a wonderful TC, or play the rest on a skill level that would be too easy for me. Sorry, but being forced to exclusively melee bad guys whose attacks themselves are melee just isn't my thing.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 am

I have only played this for two minutes - only because DOSBox simply performs disastrous. If this came out in SDL, I'd definitely play it and experience it like everyone else has. I really felt I was missing out on something when this came out.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Thomas, make sure that when you start up DosBox, you type the following two lines verbatim:

core=dynamic [hit return key]
    cycles=max [hit return key]

before attempting to run any advanced games. This seems to make performance okay in 95% of cases for me; otherwise if I don't do this performance is terrible in games with advanced features like textured ceilings/floors, etc. Also try reducing the screen size to about 50%.

EDIT: Also make sure you have the latest version of DoxBox - 0.74.

Also this is not meant as an accusation or assumption that you have not done that already; it is just an instruction on how to maximize performance with DosBox, in case you haven't already tried any of the options.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 pm

I know - my DOSBox setting are exactly this. But again, I'm running on a 28" flat screen with Windows 7. DOS-based games should very well look out of place! lol! - I'll keep a heads-up for the SDL version.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 pm

If you're screen's that big, then yes, Dos games would run quite slowly. I guess the only solution then would be to get a smaller screen or wait for SDL. Sorry then that I couldn't help.
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1252
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by ronwolf1705 Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm hoping for an SDL version as well. I've played quite a couple of levels (I think I made it till level 17 or so) and really loved it till that point (then my computer broke, got a new one and had trouble with dosbox. Then I decided to only play SDL mods). I personally didn't mind the first two levels but to each their own. Smile But ack's mapping might just be the best mapping ever for a TC. Overall it's an excellent TC, a real classic.

Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) MMCS0206
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:58 am

Run DOSbox in a window!

In the .conf file, make fullscreen=false. For me, Orb runs fine.

Here's my "all-purpose" .conf file for running Wolf3d mods on my Vista machine (I hid it only because it's so big):

Spoiler:
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 590
    Hobbie : Being smarter then everyone else in the room...
    Registration date : 2007-04-16

Post by Dean Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:16 pm

I've tried to play it a few times but never seem to get very far into it. I'm in total agreeance that the first 2 levels are rather average and don't really inspire me to play much further. i do understand why they were made that way. It's a mod I always feel disappointed at myself for not playing through though.

I tried a couple of months back to play it and even installed DosBox again but still got the awful issues I had the last time with it. An SDL version would be something really great and worthy of a mod of this reputation and complexity.

The Wolfenstein 3d Blog - Updated Wednesdays!
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Once you get to scene 3 (of act 1), this thing really starts to rock. Smile Seriously. If you can't stand the lame beginning, type "orb -butcher" and use normal debug activation keys then TAB+W to level 3. Your score will not be frozen, you can play as usual from there.

As for DosBox, type "cycles=max" and "core=auto" before running the game (hitting return after both commands). Run on 50% view and/or in a window is performance is still poor. This seems to make it okay. Nonetheless, an SDL version would be great. Smile
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Dean,

IMO, Spear Resurrection and End of Destiny both started off kind of slow too, but they were great mods. Orb is in their class, without a doubt.

As they used to sing in the late 60's, Give Orb a Chance. Razz
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Maybe the true best mods are the ones that don't just show it all off from the start.
    Nexion
    Nexion
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 275
    Hobbie : bringing chaos & madness into universe
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

Orb of Dilaaria, by Adam Biser (w/ other contributors, many maps by ack) Empty Dos In A Box

Post by Nexion Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:11 pm

WolfForever wrote:core=dynamic [hit return key]
    cycles=max [hit return key]
    All these settings don't matter much if the cpu of the computer is too weak. For a "standard" mod even 700mhz might be enough for dosbox.
    If you run 69 heavy programs at same time while playing it in dosbox without having a triple cheese cpu you won't gonna get a Big Kahuna Burger. You can also cycle the cycles over the max manually and melt away your cpu live while burning some fresh meat on it hehe.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Not in SDL? No? Ok then.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:20 pm