Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+2
Tenamk
Schabbs
6 posters

Thomas Weiling's less well-known works

Poll

What do you think of less-known mods by Thomas like The Bitter End, Castle Assault, Nazi Operation, and Endlosung?

[ 2 ]
    Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_left18%Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_right [18%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_left18%Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_right [18%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_left36%Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_right [36%] 
    [ 2 ]
    [ 0 ]
    Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_left0%Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_left9%Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_right [9%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_left0%Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 11
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Empty Thomas Weiling's less well-known works

Post by WolfForever Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:55 pm

On Dean's Wolfenstein 3D Blog an interview of Thomas Weiling was posted recently. Interesting read, recommend looking at it. However, he mentions many of his "less-known" or older sets and say they "lack" something compared to works of his like NovoWolf or ATAW3D. Most of these mentioned sets actually won dome awards. They include The Bitter End, Castle Assault, Nazi Operation, and Endlosung (Endlosung is the only one that wasn't awarded). I've played most of them and think most all his work is very well done. What do you think about these "not-so-well-known" sets?
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 590
    Hobbie : Being smarter then everyone else in the room...
    Registration date : 2007-04-16

Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Empty Re: Thomas Weiling's less well-known works

Post by Dean Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:01 pm

IMO, everything from Nazi Operation onwards has been very good and a lot of fun to play.

I beta tested a few of Thomas' mods so I know them quite well and there is always, for me, a fun and exciting, challenging element to each of his mods. I liked 'All this and Wolf 3d' a lot but personally thought that 'Castle Assault' was even better.

The mod I can highly recommend of Thomas' for everyone to play is 'NovoWolf'. This mod should really have gotten more attention when it came out when it did, I've played it completely through a couple of times now (which is rare for me) and find it a really great adventure.

On a side note, Some of Thomas old mods, from his 'Possum Trot' days can be hard to find as a few years ago he asked Brian to remove them from the mod lists on the 'Wolf 3d Dome'. I added links to a couple within his Q & A Interview at my blog but if you look around a bit all of them are still available Wink

You can find a full list of all of Thomas' mods (from both modding periods) at the Wolfsourse (Wolfenstein 3d wiki) site HERE

Oh, and thanks for reading the blog WolfForever, I hope you find it interesting Smile

The Wolfenstein 3d Blog - Updated Wednesdays!
    WolfForever

Thomas Weiling's less well-known works Empty Re: Thomas Weiling's less well-known works

Post by WolfForever Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Dean wrote:IMO, everything from Nazi Operation onwards has been very good and a lot of fun to play.

I beta tested a few of Thomas' mods so I know them quite well and there is always, for me, a fun and exciting, challenging element to each of his mods. I liked 'All this and Wolf 3d' a lot but personally thought that 'Castle Assault' was even better.

The mod I can highly recommend of Thomas' for everyone to play is 'NovoWolf'. This mod should really have gotten more attention when it came out when it did, I've played it completely through a couple of times now (which is rare for me) and find it a really great adventure.

On a side note, Some of Thomas old mods, from his 'Possum Trot' days can be hard to find as a few years ago he asked Brian to remove them from the mod lists on the 'Wolf 3d Dome'. I added links to a couple within his Q & A Interview at my blog but if you look around a bit all of them are still available Wink

You can find a full list of all of Thomas' mods (from both modding periods) at the Wolfsourse (Wolfenstein 3d wiki) site HERE

Oh, and thanks for reading the blog WolfForever, I hope you find it interesting Smile

Very welcome for the blog read. Smile

I actually just finished playing NovoWolf yesterday. Very good. Though, the ending seemed a bit weak and there's a bug: both exits in Level 8 lead to the secret level (Level 21). Also what is the lab environment doing in Level 17 (labs are supposed to end after 11-15, right?) But overall it was a very good 21 levels, and with shading and SDL support as a bonus. Can't wait for Wolf Overkill. ATAW3D (or in your view, CA) topper? Maybe.

I just played and beat ATAW3D Level 69 again. I agree with you that it should have been a secret level but it is such a cool and weird level - I'd rate it upon the best 5 individual maps ever - truly one of a kind.

Shamefully I must report I still have to play: Nazi Operation, Castle Assault, W.O.L.F., Bitter End, and Endlosung. That said I look forward to playing them all. I haven't played Quest for the General yet either but likely won't at all because looking in an editor most maps are in CA or some other Thomas mod.

Endlosung is the only mod under the name Thomas that did not get a dome award; did you play that one and if so did you find it good - the lack of an award for it seems odd.

W.O.L.F. seems like the best Thomas work from what I've seen in comments for those who strictly prefer the original Wolf formula with few or no extras.

All in all thanks for the reply and BTW I love your blog site (especially mod reviews). I will ask though, you reviewed Bitter End and only gave it 6.5/10. I almost wonder if that was a "mistake rating". The commentary you made for the addon (saying "very enjoyable" multiple time) seems to suggest a better rating also. Just wanted to mention that, no offense intended or anything of that sort.

You mentioned some maps in TBE were already released; which ones are you referring to, if you remember? Also taking a quick look through I didn't see any reuse of Thomas's maps in his works if you forget about Quest for the General; did you see any other reuses?

If you have any comments or thoughts to any of this feel free to reply back again. It doesn't have to be an answer to everything in here or anything of that sort, I sort of just noted down whatever came up in my mind. I'm already enjoying talking with you. Smile

p.s. And, even if only for purposes of having everything, thanks for pointing me to the "Possum Trot" mods.

WolfForever

Last edited by WolfForever on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Schabbs Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:03 pm

WolfForever wrote:
    Endlosung is the only mod under the name Thomas that did not get a dome award; did you play that one and if so did you find it good - the lack of an award for it seems odd.

There is no link on the Wolf Dome except in the actual news item for W.O.L.F.. And it looks like it's a very good 60 level game. Wonder if Thomas asked for that to be withdrawn, or if Brian just forgot to put it in the main addon archive.

WolfForever

I can't remember why Endlosung didn't get an award but it is listed in the Dome addons under the TC section at http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/adds_DEF.htm .

W.O.L.F. is also listed in the TC section at http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/adds_VWX.htm . It is listed immediately below Vyperstein.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Schabbs wrote:
    WolfForever wrote:

There is no link on the Wolf Dome except in the actual news item for W.O.L.F.. And it looks like it's a very good 60 level game. Wonder if Thomas asked for that to be withdrawn, or if Brian just forgot to put it in the main addon archive.

WolfForever

I can't remember why Endlosung didn't get an award but it is listed in the Dome addons under the TC section at http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/adds_DEF.htm .

W.O.L.F. is also listed in the TC section at http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/adds_VWX.htm . It is listed immediately below Vyperstein.

Sorry about saying W.O.L.F. isn't in the list; must've missed it or something. About Endlosung I knew it was in the list, only mentioned it because it got no award, was wondering if it was because you (or Dean/anyone else for that matter) didn't think it was as good. Your description of it is positive if I remember correctly, although one person (I think on the DieHard forums) commented about level symmetry issues after having played the first episode.

Thanks for replying all the same. Smile I'll remove/edit the statement about W.O.L.F. in my earlier post.
    Tenamk
    Tenamk
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 303
    Job : Spy
    Hobbie : Kick S.S.'s butt
    Message : Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayWolf3D
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by Tenamk Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:47 am

I think they are better than his more serious work (ATAW3D)
    By the way, welcome to the forums tongue
    Also, was it Thomas Weilling that released Hitler's Ark? Correct me if I am wrong.

I won the first forum raffle! cheers

Dark_wizzie's signature: Nobody is perfect, I am nobody. Copier of my siggy will be severely pwned.
    Tenamk says: Oh crap!
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:51 am

WolfForever wrote:Shamefully I must report I still have to play: Nazi Operation, Castle Assault, W.O.L.F., Bitter End, and Endlosung. That said I look forward to playing them all. I haven't played Quest for the General yet either but likely won't at all because looking in an editor most maps are in CA or some other Thomas mod.
    You're right about that. Quite frankly, I still don't know why I released that game at all - it had nothing at all original except some minor coding changes.

Looking back, I can see it was released in September 2007 - but all the maps were made during August and September 2006, some either ending up in the community map set that was released in those days, or others being below-par maps I couldn't find room for. When I started "Castle Assault" I had fun making the game the first ten days (it was around Christmas, very cosy) and I'd just got turned on to some new music (Pink Floyd) so mapping and rocking out was the tops. But that doesn't last long when it's first begun - the remainder of "Castle Assault" were haphazardly added maps from the then unreleased "Quest for the General" which I thought would do. Mind you, between "All This & Wolf 3D" and "Castle Assault" - not even three weeks had passed. It was a very dumb thing to do.

Don't get me wrong. I like the overall concept - but it's a weak release. If I could go back in SDL and re-do the game, replacing the non-original maps, I would. But would that change anything? It's still a big bump in the road.

But thanks for the interest. I thought Dean was the only one who gave a toss 'round here. clown
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:52 am

Tenamk wrote:Also, was it Thomas Weilling that released Hitler's Ark? Correct me if I am wrong.
    No, that was Michael Collin. Great guy. The next big Chokan. Laughing I often confuse it with Dean's "Hitlerworld".
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:40 am

The only set in this category I have even heard of is "The Bitter End". Even then, I have yet to play them all. But I bet they are in Dos. Sad

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 am

Thomas wrote:
    WolfForever wrote:Shamefully I must report I still have to play: Nazi Operation, Castle Assault, W.O.L.F., Bitter End, and Endlosung. That said I look forward to playing them all. I haven't played Quest for the General yet either but likely won't at all because looking in an editor most maps are in CA or some other Thomas mod.
    You're right about that. Quite frankly, I still don't know why I released that game at all - it had nothing at all original except some minor coding changes.

Looking back, I can see it was released in September 2007 - but all the maps were made during August and September 2006, some either ending up in the community map set that was released in those days, or others being below-par maps I couldn't find room for. When I started "Castle Assault" I had fun making the game the first ten days (it was around Christmas, very cosy) and I'd just got turned on to some new music (Pink Floyd) so mapping and rocking out was the tops. But that doesn't last long when it's first begun - the remainder of "Castle Assault" were haphazardly added maps from the then unreleased "Quest for the General" which I thought would do. Mind you, between "All This & Wolf 3D" and "Castle Assault" - not even three weeks had passed. It was a very dumb thing to do.

Don't get me wrong. I like the overall concept - but it's a weak release. If I could go back in SDL and re-do the game, replacing the non-original maps, I would. But would that change anything? It's still a big bump in the road.

But thanks for the interest. I thought Dean was the only one who gave a toss 'round here. clown

I don't see why you're so low on Castle Assault - everyone else seemed to receive it very well. It won a Dome award even. Same month as ATAW3D got the award. This is still the only time ever I believe in which the same author got two awards in the same month. Oddly enough Quest for the General also was awarded, Brian (Schabbs) must have played enough maps in between to not recognize they're recycled from the earlier project.

BTW you never made a mention of W.O.L.F. in your interview and by the community it is regarded as a very good classic style set. What's you're overall view on that one?

Also Dean mentioned (in a review) that "The Bitter End" has maps from you're earlier works; disregarding your community map pack contributions and Quest, I was under this impression that all your other works contain entirely unique maps - who is correct, me or Dean?

Otherwise thanks for the words (esp. the appreciation for my interest, very welcome for that), and I can largely agree with the rest what you have said. Also the ratings in this poll so far seem to reflect your other work has indeed been fairly well-received. Smile

EDIT: @Dark_Wizzle: I use DosBox for his sets besides NovoWolf. They run quite well if you set core=dynamic and cycles=max.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:06 pm

WolfForever wrote:I don't see why you're so low on Castle Assault - everyone else seemed to receive it very well. It won a Dome award even. Same month as ATAW3D got the award. This is still the only time ever I believe in which the same author got two awards in the same month. Oddly enough Quest for the General also was awarded, Brian (Schabbs) must have played enough maps in between to not recognize they're recycled from the earlier project.
    I guess I'm low on that one because I made it. Unless you're blind to reason, you yourself are your own best critic. Back on topic - there are many maps I like in Castle Assault, mostly the first ones... Great stuff. And the MAC-BJ was really a pet of mine... Something I've wanted to add since I first saw it on a screenshot on the Dome way back when I first got into the world of Wolf. I'm a bit harsh on myself there, I guess... But "Castle Assault" is something I'll go back and fix when I have the time and desire. Certainly.

WolfForever wrote:BTW you never made a mention of W.O.L.F. in your interview and by the community it is regarded as a very good classic style set. What's you're overall view on that one?
    I've got mixed emotions, as usual, I guess. Writing this, I'm looking up the maps in an editor, 'cause my memory isn't very good on that one. I remember making the first map in the first episode out of the blue - and I really loved it. Looking back, I think it's one of my best maps. A very slick introduction to a new game - or map set of sorts. My views on W.O.L.F. are mostly positive though... It's just, 2008 was a very strange year for me - and this was started in May and concluded around November. A lot of those maps were made out of desperation; but those made in good spirits certainly took it home.

WolfForever wrote:Also Dean mentioned (in a review) that "The Bitter End" has maps from you're earlier works; disregarding your community map pack contributions and Quest, I was under this impression that all your other works contain entirely unique maps - who is correct, me or Dean?
    "The Bitter End" contains something, which, just like "Quest for the General" I regret deeply. "The Bitter End" were the start of something original in the wake of "Castle Assault" and "retiring" from Wolf, hoping to get away from it all. "The Bitter End" had some strong maps, and it was a very, very short game, ten maps only, but I couldn't even make the bloody maps! Laughing Only six were original. The second and fifth map came from the first Haven map set (I think), the ninth was the 59th level of "All This & Wolf 3D", one of my favourites then, and I felt it'd might receive more attention if it was more accessible. The fourth map came from "Castle Assault", one of the originals from there, in which is was the eighteenth level. But the originals from "The Bitter End" were very, very large and I had a blast making them. Certainly. The sixth level came to me in a dream, the purple stone and all... However, in the dream, the tune playing was a cross-over from "Enemy Around the Corner" and an old MIDI I probably had in my volumous MIDI-collection I had on my dad's computer as a kid. Very strange. But I felt very inspired after that. The eighth level is probably my favourite.

Dark_wizzie wrote:The only set in this category I have even heard of is "The Bitter End". Even then, I have yet to play them all. But I bet they are in Dos. Sad
    They are, all my mods until "NovoWolf" are only in DOS - but Chris and Havoc, each on various times, have mentioned a great idea I may pursue in the future - to take all my games and add them as episodes in a compact SDL EXE, as a "Thomas Fun Pack" or something. But should that ever take place, "Castle Assault", "The Bitter End" and soforth will be EDITED and the original versions won't be released in that format. All the small mods released along the way, the demos of "Nazi Operation" and "All This & Wolf 3D", "Wolfram", "Hard Cell" (A shabby SOD-map set) and all the horrific spin-offs from the "Possum"-era released in 2006 won't be there. At least, I haven't planned on that. But I've thought about it like this:

"EPISODE 1" - Nazi Operation
    "EPISODE 2" - All This & Wolf 3D (THE "REAL" 70 level version) - I do believe the demo and the 40-level version should forever rot in cyber-Hell scared
    "EPISODE 3" - Castle Assault (UPDATED version)
    "EPISODE 4" - The Bitter End (UPDATED version)
    "EPISODE 5" - W.O.L.F.
    "EPISODE 6" - Endlösung

... Being a sudden perfectionist, all these mods will be cleaned up for that probable release. It may never be released, but it's been a plan of mine for a long, long time. But I'm a busy man these days. Wolfenstein editing is not my life, and it never will be. But it's a side interest I just can't let go of! pirate
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Thomas wrote:
    WolfForever wrote:I don't see why you're so low on Castle Assault - everyone else seemed to receive it very well. It won a Dome award even. Same month as ATAW3D got the award. This is still the only time ever I believe in which the same author got two awards in the same month. Oddly enough Quest for the General also was awarded, Brian (Schabbs) must have played enough maps in between to not recognize they're recycled from the earlier project.
    I guess I'm low on that one because I made it. Unless you're blind to reason, you yourself are your own best critic. Back on topic - there are many maps I like in Castle Assault, mostly the first ones... Great stuff. And the MAC-BJ was really a pet of mine... Something I've wanted to add since I first saw it on a screenshot on the Dome way back when I first got into the world of Wolf. I'm a bit harsh on myself there, I guess... But "Castle Assault" is something I'll go back and fix when I have the time and desire. Certainly.

WolfForever wrote:BTW you never made a mention of W.O.L.F. in your interview and by the community it is regarded as a very good classic style set. What's you're overall view on that one?
    I've got mixed emotions, as usual, I guess. Writing this, I'm looking up the maps in an editor, 'cause my memory isn't very good on that one. I remember making the first map in the first episode out of the blue - and I really loved it. Looking back, I think it's one of my best maps. A very slick introduction to a new game - or map set of sorts. My views on W.O.L.F. are mostly positive though... It's just, 2008 was a very strange year for me - and this was started in May and concluded around November. A lot of those maps were made out of desperation; but those made in good spirits certainly took it home.

WolfForever wrote:Also Dean mentioned (in a review) that "The Bitter End" has maps from you're earlier works; disregarding your community map pack contributions and Quest, I was under this impression that all your other works contain entirely unique maps - who is correct, me or Dean?
    "The Bitter End" contains something, which, just like "Quest for the General" I regret deeply. "The Bitter End" were the start of something original in the wake of "Castle Assault" and "retiring" from Wolf, hoping to get away from it all. "The Bitter End" had some strong maps, and it was a very, very short game, ten maps only, but I couldn't even make the bloody maps! Laughing Only six were original. The second and fifth map came from the first Haven map set (I think), the ninth was the 59th level of "All This & Wolf 3D", one of my favourites then, and I felt it'd might receive more attention if it was more accessible. The fourth map came from "Castle Assault", one of the originals from there, in which is was the eighteenth level. But the originals from "The Bitter End" were very, very large and I had a blast making them. Certainly. The sixth level came to me in a dream, the purple stone and all... However, in the dream, the tune playing was a cross-over from "Enemy Around the Corner" and an old MIDI I probably had in my volumous MIDI-collection I had on my dad's computer as a kid. Very strange. But I felt very inspired after that. The eighth level is probably my favourite.

Dark_wizzie wrote:The only set in this category I have even heard of is "The Bitter End". Even then, I have yet to play them all. But I bet they are in Dos. Sad
    They are, all my mods until "NovoWolf" are only in DOS - but Chris and Havoc, each on various times, have mentioned a great idea I may pursue in the future - to take all my games and add them as episodes in a compact SDL EXE, as a "Thomas Fun Pack" or something. But should that ever take place, "Castle Assault", "The Bitter End" and soforth will be EDITED and the original versions won't be released in that format. All the small mods released along the way, the demos of "Nazi Operation" and "All This & Wolf 3D", "Wolfram", "Hard Cell" (A shabby SOD-map set) and all the horrific spin-offs from the "Possum"-era released in 2006 won't be there. At least, I haven't planned on that. But I've thought about it like this:

"EPISODE 2" - All This & Wolf 3D (THE "REAL" 70 level version) - I do believe the demo and the 40-level version should forever rot in cyber-Hell scared
    "EPISODE 5" - W.O.L.F.
    "EPISODE 6" - Endlösung

... Being a sudden perfectionist, all these mods will be cleaned up for that probable release. It may never be released, but it's been a plan of mine for a long, long time. But I'm a busy man these days. Wolfenstein editing is not my life, and it never will be. But it's a side interest I just can't let go of! pirate

Well...I can agree that it's always a good thing not to view your own work too highly. It gives you the desire to get better and better, and move even closer to perfection.

And regardless of how good your mods may be already, I would always, always be interested in seeing them improved even further. And while SDL isn't a concern for me, that merger idea sounds REALLY cool, even if it never does come to fruition.

Thanks for explaining the non-new maps in The Bitter End also, guess Dean was right and I wasn't looking well enough. Anyways, I've enjoyed communicating with you, and I'm only a day into my life on these forums. Smile

p.s. BTW I have plans for lots of polls; they're an interest of mine, to see people's opinions.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 pm

WolfForever wrote:
    Thomas wrote:

"EPISODE 5" - W.O.L.F.
    "EPISODE 6" - Endlösung

Well...I can agree that it's always a good thing not to view your own work too highly. It gives you the desire to get better and better, and move even closer to perfection.

And regardless of how good your mods may be already, I would always, always be interested in seeing them improved even further. And while SDL isn't a concern for me, that merger idea sounds REALLY cool, even if it never does come to fruition.

Thanks for explaining the non-new maps in The Bitter End also, guess Dean was right and I wasn't looking well enough. Anyways, I've enjoyed communicating with you, and I'm only a day into my life on these forums. Smile

p.s. BTW I have plans for lots of polls; they're an interest of mine, to see people's opinions.

I would LOVE a Complete Collection to Thomas' Works. Would be fun for inspiration for making maps.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by Dean Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm

I can see that as being a great idea also Thomas, and would actually be a bigger mod than Wolf Overkill, if you add all the levels together.

I still have the 40 level version of ATAW3d. From memory the first 30 maps made it into the 70 level version anyway. I think the other 9 were rehashed versions of other maps you had made and of course Level 40 was mine that ended up being the Hitler boss level in my mod 'Escape from Castle Holle', with some editing and updating of course. So as you can see, no one needs to stress about that one no longer being available.

For history's sake, I did the coding on 'Quest for the General', 'Wolfram' and the original Dos version of 'NovoWolf' for Thomas. NovoWolf turned out much better when an actual coder took over though, I wouldn't have gotten it looking as good as it did. Quest for the General had a totally different plan to what ended up being released also. Without upsetting Thomas, I felt he released that in it's final format way to hastily, I would have loved a better chance to get that mod closer to it's original vision that what it was released as.

Thomas also released a fairly decent 5 level set called ' Hard Cell' around the same time as Endlosung as well that was originally intended to be a larger mod, I really though that could have been a decent mod as well. Frayed won the Dome award in the same month that Endlosung and Hard Cell was released.

As for Castle Assault and why I like it so much; the maps are so connected, I think this is because they were all made so closely together. The mod seems more like one big level that continues over multiple scenarios. For some reason I just really enjoyed things that way when I played it.

WolfForever - You seem too knowledgeable to have just come into the Wolf Community cold, are you someone else we already know of? Wink

WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:34 pm

Dean wrote:I can see that as being a great idea also Thomas, and would actually be a bigger mod than Wolf Overkill, if you add all the levels together.

I still have the 40 level version of ATAW3d. From memory the first 30 maps made it into the 70 level version anyway. I think the other 9 were rehashed versions of other maps you had made and of course Level 40 was mine that ended up being the Hitler boss level in my mod 'Escape from Castle Holle', with some editing and updating of course. So as you can see, no one needs to stress about that one no longer being available.

For history's sake, I did the coding on 'Quest for the General', 'Wolfram' and the original Dos version of 'NovoWolf' for Thomas. NovoWolf turned out much better when an actual coder took over though, I wouldn't have gotten it looking as good as it did. Quest for the General had a totally different plan to what ended up being released also. Without upsetting Thomas, I felt he released that in it's final format way to hastily, I would have loved a better chance to get that mod closer to it's original vision that what it was released as.

Thomas also released a fairly decent 5 level set called ' Hard Cell' around the same time as Endlosung as well that was originally intended to be a larger mod, I really though that could have been a decent mod as well. Frayed won the Dome award in the same month that Endlosung and Hard Cell was released.

As for Castle Assault and why I like it so much; the maps are so connected, I think this is because they were all made so closely together. The mod seems more like one big level that continues over multiple scenarios. For some reason I just really enjoyed things that way when I played it.

WolfForever - You seem too knowledgeable to have just come into the Wolf Community cold, are you someone else we already know of? Wink

(To last paragraph): No, I've been playing Wolf for many years. I just decided to register mainly because I like communicating and the polling features of this site are cool IMO. Additionally I pretty much stuck to the Wolf Dome and nothing else until just a few weeks ago. I see how you might be thinking I'm someone else "in disguise" though, but I'm not. Didn't mind clarifying however.
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by Dean Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks WolfForever, I wasn't accusing you of being in disguise or anything! Very Happy it's just rare for anyone new to show up with as a wide a Wolf mod knowledge as you have.

It's great to have you in the Community, it's been fun discussing topics and hearing other peoples opinions on mods and things Smile

WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:46 pm

Dean wrote:Thanks WolfForever, I wasn't accusing you of being in disguise or anything! Very Happy it's just rare for anyone new to show up with as a wide a Wolf mod knowledge as you have.

It's great to have you in the Community, it's been fun discussing topics and hearing other peoples opinions on mods and things Smile

Thanks for the positive commentary; glad to hear I'm appreciated. Smile
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Well I am halfway to having one less Thomas mod on my "didn't play" list. I'm halfway through Endlosung, and find it to be quite good with maps that are fun and neither huge nor tiny. Where did the music for E2L5 (Boss) and E6L2 come from though (can't place it)? I know E6L2 is something from Elton John, and E2L5 is some type of march tune, but as I said neither can I place at the moment.

This, Deadly Sleep (which I made a thread on), and NovoWolf are the only 2009 mods I've found to be that enjoyable, and I'm already back into May (going backwards, Jan-April I haven't played addons from in general yet).

I didn't care for Frayed, the awarded mod in the month Endlosung was released in. Didn't think the theming was done well IMO, though I mainly only like mods that stick with WWII (in some shape or form) or the few Doom themed mods, since Doom is another game I love. Also Endlosung was released after Frayed was already awarded. I think Endlosung should have received the award for the next month, it was released very near the end of May '09. And there was no awarded add-on for June '09.

Anyways, Endlosung is definitely another good piece of work from Thomas.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:14 am

WolfForever wrote:Well I am halfway to having one less Thomas mod on my "didn't play" list. I'm halfway through Endlosung, and find it to be quite good with maps that are fun and neither huge nor tiny. Where did the music for E2L5 (Boss) and E6L2 come from though (can't place it)? I know E6L2 is something from Elton John, and E2L5 is some type of march tune, but as I said neither can I place at the moment.

This, Deadly Sleep (which I made a thread on), and NovoWolf are the only 2009 mods I've found to be that enjoyable, and I'm already back into May (going backwards, Jan-April I haven't played addons from in general yet).

I didn't care for Frayed, the awarded mod in the month Endlosung was released in. Didn't think the theming was done well IMO, though I mainly only like mods that stick with WWII (in some shape or form) or the few Doom themed mods, since Doom is another game I love. Also Endlosung was released after Frayed was already awarded. I think Endlosung should have received the award for the next month, it was released very near the end of May '09. And there was no awarded add-on for June '09.

The marching tune from E2L5 is from the original Wolf - but it wasn't used. I've always found it perfect for the boss levels of Episode 2 and Episode 5 in the original, creating three different themes of boss music rather than two.

And yes, E6L2 is Elton John's archaic "I Need You to Turn To" from 1970. I'm attending a concert of his tonight. Looking forward to it. Wink

And thanks for playing Endlösung. I'll be honest with you - I recall almost nothing of making this game. That's why I'd love to go back and really go around the maps and things like that.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:14 am

Thomas wrote:
    WolfForever wrote:Well I am halfway to having one less Thomas mod on my "didn't play" list. I'm halfway through Endlosung, and find it to be quite good with maps that are fun and neither huge nor tiny. Where did the music for E2L5 (Boss) and E6L2 come from though (can't place it)? I know E6L2 is something from Elton John, and E2L5 is some type of march tune, but as I said neither can I place at the moment.

The marching tune from E2L5 is from the original Wolf - but it wasn't used. I've always found it perfect for the boss levels of Episode 2 and Episode 5 in the original, creating three different themes of boss music rather than two.

And yes, E6L2 is Elton John's archaic "I Need You to Turn To" from 1970. I'm attending a concert of his tonight. Looking forward to it. Wink

And thanks for playing Endlösung. I'll be honest with you - I recall almost nothing of making this game. That's why I'd love to go back and really go around the maps and things like that.

Thanks for replying. I finished playing Endlosung yesterday, it was at about 11 PM my time so I didn't make a post. Very good work overall. Smile But some comments to make:

-Thanks for letting me know where the tunes came from. I think you did a really good job with music; the first three episodes follow normal Wolf3D music for Levels 1-4, but the last three have changed music rather than recycling. Every non-boss level in the set (of the 24 such levels total) had a different music tune, if I recall correctly. The only tunes I'm familiar with from Wolf3D or SOD that I don't recall hearing are: the original game menu tune, the introduction screen tune from Wolf (the Spear one was used, E6L3), the stat screen original tune, and the Angel of Death tune from SOD (AKA "Evil Incarnate"). E6L4 had a tune used in Level 17 of Spear Resurrection. Aside from E6L2 and E6L4, every non-boss map tune was from the origial Wolf or Spear, if I recall correctly. (Most of this paragraph is not important, just mentioning what came up in my mind.)

-E6L5 was odd; it used the same tune as E2L3 and it's not even a boss level tune. Kind of surprised me. Was there any reason for that?

-Some of the boss levels (like E4L5 and E5L5) were extremely short while others were medium or even (in the case of E6L5) full length. Were they designed by different authors?

-All in all though I enjoyed my whole playthrough, the only thing I thought it was lacking was secret levels. I love finding secret elevators too. But no big deal.

-It just so happens to turn out that going back in time through the Dome news, the next set that interests me for playing is W.O.L.F., also by you. Certainly that period in between must've been pretty lacking in terms of good releases (from any author). Sad

Just wanted to share all my thoughts and comments, feel free to reply or comment back. Smile
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:34 am

WolfForever wrote:E6L5 was odd; it used the same tune as E2L3 and it's not even a boss level tune. Kind of surprised me. Was there any reason for that?
    Had this been two years ago, I would've meant the same. But recently, that tune makes a lot of sense as a boss level - the title is "Going After Hitler" - and it's perfect, it's so intense and "luminating" at some points. However, it should've been used in a quiter surrounding, such as an underground lair with not many guards or a tricky maze that leads to an unlikely hideout.

WolfForever wrote:Some of the boss levels (like E4L5 and E5L5) were extremely short while others were medium or even (in the case of E6L5) full length. Were they designed by different authors?
    None of my games contain maps of different authors, except "Nazi Operation". The reason for the size of these maps is either laziness, or my inconsistency at the time to make boss levels. I still find it hard to make a fair boss level; but with Overkill, I feel I've progressed a lot.

WolfForever wrote:All in all though I enjoyed my whole playthrough, the only thing I thought it was lacking was secret levels. I love finding secret elevators too. But no big deal.
    I do too. I don't know; there was a time in which I hated making secret levels and the access to them... I think Endlösung was a knock-off, really. Not much there. Just a simple small mod playable in two hours or less.

WolfForever wrote:It just so happens to turn out that going back in time through the Dome news, the next set that interests me for playing is W.O.L.F., also by you. Certainly that period in between must've been pretty lacking in terms of good releases (from any author). Sad
    Yeah, there's been a dry spell on and off in the wake of "End of Destiny", "Trench Warfare" and the ground-setting standards there. I don't know. We young wolfers, we're growing up now. Maybe we can return to the fullest at a time in which it's more suitable. With SDL around, and that "SonderKommando"-thing around the corner, the parameters could explode. Who knows?
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I've played my way through all of Endlosung and W.O.L.F.. Both very good sets, even would tempt to call them excellent. Smile (ATAW3D and NovoWolf are still some of this true standouts though.)
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by Dean Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:29 pm

I still highly recommend playing Castle Assault WolfForever! Smile

WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I would like to also, but my only concerns are:

1) Maps in CA I've already played in other sets (or will play in DHW 2007/DHW SDL set or Nazi Operation)
    2) Thomas's post further up says he's making notable revisions to the mod. Same applies as to why I haven't played Bitter End yet either.

But still thanks for the (re)-recommendation Smile, any further details you may have (potentially regarding comments above) would be appreciated.

Also I definitely plan on playing Nazi Operation, he didn't mention significant revision coming to that and you recommended it for me in a PM. Smile
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:48 am

WolfForever, those "revisions" are still just brain children. You can easily play "The Bitter End" and "Castle Assault" if you like, but it's not recommended in that sense - as you said, most of the maps have been re-used before. And I hate that, personally. There are some original maps in there that are brilliant. At least, I recommend the first ten maps of "Castle Assault" or something. I can't recall when the "I need to re-use these old maps 'cause I just know I'm gonna retire from Wolf soon!"-levels kick in. I know the first couple of maps are awesome, in my own opinion.
    Dean
    Dean
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male

Post by Dean Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:43 pm

I completely agree with Thomas that the maps are fantastic in this set, that's why i keep recommending it! Smile

WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:40 pm

I'll be playing it Smile, just haven't gotten back to its release time (early 2007) yet.

Currently playing Wolfenstein Sextilogy. Brilliant reimagining set IMO, and it's a bonus you get the choice between a new vswap or using the good old classic original (assuming you have it, of course) - I'm using the new vswap, but I looked at it with the original and everything still looks in place! Smile Looking forward very highly to the second episode, sad this thing is never likely to get past two episodes, as there have been no updates for a LONG time. Sad If this had been finished it might have finally matched (or even surpassed) BJ's Conflict in the Fatherland for best pure, true-to-story Wolf3D reimagining. (Sets like W.O.L.F. and Tril + Noct come very close but aren't truely 100% pure original Wolfenstein spirit; that's not necessarily a bad thing though - it just prevents them from qualifying for this category in my view.) Oh well. If you do happen to know of another great mod that stays THIS close to the original story, I'd love to know the name of it! Smile

Then again, Executor also did a Spear remake, which was received quite well too (Dean's blog reviewed it at 7.5/10). That game seems to have more "totally" new graphics though.

Back to the Thomas subject though, I would like to ask, I've also received recommendation to play Nazi Operation, and that set doesn't even have the idea of a remake at this point (which leads me to believe all maps are up to standard and original).

Also if you could let me know which maps in Castle Assault are reused/rushed that would be appreciated. I have no problem playing a third/half of a set or so to see some awesome stuff and then bailing out due to a dropoff in quality. Smile

Re The Bitter End, Thomas's other set, I wonder why Dean only gave it a 6/10? He's clearly recommending it. And I already know the reused maps in that game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:44 pm