Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

4 posters

Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek

Poll

How do you rate it?

[ 1 ]
    Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Bar_left20%Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Bar_left40%Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Bar_right [40%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Bar_left20%Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Bar_left0%Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]

Total Votes: 5
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Empty Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek

Post by Schabbs Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:17 pm

I'm interested in what you guys think of this addon now the bugs have been fixed. I think it's turned out pretty well. Latest version is at http://www.belowe.com/cod1.zip .

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    lilmanjs
    lilmanjs
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1143
    Hobbie : playing wolf3d addons like crazy
    Registration date : 2007-04-17

Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek Empty Re: Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek

Post by lilmanjs Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:43 pm

I have been playing the various versions of this mod including the final version and while its very good I just didn't seem to get the feeling I get when playing dome awarded mods.

Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek TeamAardwolfV2PNG
    Cover Of Darkness By Liso1 And Mek 57046cfmlabelbar
    Mods being worked on:
    The Mutant Uprising, Final Fight 2
    Mod ideas:
    Stargate SG-1 addon, Mega Man addon
    Team Aardwolf Mods:
    The Mutant Uprising, Ghost
    Mods being worked on with other people:
    Return to Castle Hollehammer with Raziel A. (Karharis)
    Award winning mods:
    The Final Fight
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by doomjedi Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:03 am

Well, I play it every day. It's quite fun, with lots of enemies and such. Otherwise I wouldn't have been playing it that much Smile

Still, I give it only "good". It has originality and "fun factor"
    But many maps look like tutorial "show" maps with one mapping feature/pattern taken into the extreme.
    Also the levels are too simmetrical or having repeatable pattern.
    It gives a feeling of unexperienced mappers. And that's beside that there is still some pitch in the sound of lime guard dying, and some wrong "Hilter Ghost firing ball" sprite used instead of scenery...a mistake? If not - please tell me what they are supposed to be.
    Textures are selected from ROTT the way that their meaning and purpose/style is very ambivalent, and you don't feel you "understand" the textures or ther purpose. Poor wall texture selection overall.

Overall, for a first mod its a very fun mod. Dome award for it seems too much, but there is some good creativity and talent I can see even through all the weaknesses of the mapping. I enjoyed some very unique mapping patterns in this mod, including areas or run&shoot corridors.
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male

Post by Schabbs Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Thanks guys for the input. The basic overall impression I get is that the mod was good but not good enough for an award.

@doomjedi
    Yes, there were some levels, the third level of episodes usually, that were taken to extremes. I found some of these boring due to the lack of decoration and the symmetrical aspect of them, but there were some ideas in there that I've not seen before and I found quite interesting. The Hitler Ghost fireball I believe was meant to be a lamp and replaces the floor lamp. However, I agree it doesn't look right as it is. I did take a lot of these objects out. I didn't notice anything wrong with the sound of the lime green guard dying though.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:28 pm

Hm...interesting level ideas??? I gotta pop this in for my chaos edit... I love interesting level ideas. That's the main point of my mod.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:35 am

Yeah. You've got my impression right. Good, but not for Dome award.
    Usually in 40-60 maps mods I rarely play all of the episodes, and even if so - not more than a few maps in each (beside some of the most known mods). Here I finished almost all of the levels. It's fun. I love the large amount of enemies.

...I wish you'd help me with mapping of my mods...you seem to help many projects with mapping. Though I don't seem to see you like to map on more advanced engines with floor/ceiling textures and such stuff.
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male

Post by Schabbs Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:22 am

doomjedi wrote:
    ...I wish you'd help me with mapping of my mods...you seem to help many projects with mapping. Though I don't seem to see you like to map on more advanced engines with floor/ceiling textures and such stuff.

If you'd like me to go over any of your levels, I'd be happy to do so.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:57 am

If you'd like me to go over any of your levels, I'd be happy to do so.
    Never mind....I meant making new levels rather than beta testing existing ones.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:22 am

After popping this package into chaosedit, I think that this add-on has potential. I like some of the ideas, which are new to me. I like incoperating new ideas of pushwall puzzles to my add-on.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:31 pm