Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

3 posters

E6L10 (Secret) pushwall maze

Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 191
    Hobbie : Wolfenstein 3D, Final Fantasy and Sokoban
    Registration date : 2010-08-03

secret - E6L10 (Secret) pushwall maze Empty E6L10 (Secret) pushwall maze

Post by Asa Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:37 pm

I'm sure this has been dealt with before, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Episode 6, Floor 10 (Secret) has a unsolvable push-wall puzzle. It is located in the lower-right quadrant of the level. I took some time and unraveled the puzzle to see how it could be solved. I have determined that, unless you have reinstated noclipping, you won't solve this puzzle. I created two images of the area in question, and labeled the push-walls according to the order in which they should be pushed. Note that 3 and 4 are interchangeable, meaning that you can push either one first and the result will be the same. The second image shows where the walls should end up after being pushed.

The problem comes in with push-walls 6-13. In order to push all of the walls and get 100% completion on the secret aspect of the level, you must push wall 6 first (after 1-5 have been pushed). Looking closely at the images, you can't push wall 6 in the direction necessary because you can't get to that side of the wall without using noclipping mode to get there.

It is possible to push wall 6 in the opposite direction, if you push wall 10 in the opposite direction of that noted, but you will block walls 7 and 8, preventing them from being pushed at all and rendering the puzzle incomplete and the total secret for the floor less than 100%.

Note that, if you push all the walls as indicted, you will be able to push wall 14 in either direction (left or right), and it won't prevent you from reaching the three free lives or from leaving the area once you are done there. This would enable you to achieve 100% secret for this floor, if you could reach wall 6 before pushing any other walls after wall 5. Because you can't do that, this maze puzzle remains unsolvable, again, unless you have reinstated noclipping mode in the game.

Due to the ghost being in the room that wall 5 blocks, getting those two free lives and getting everything else done in that little maze is next to impossible. I devised a method to get the free lives and block the door so that the red ghost cannot get out of the room. Once you enter that room, if the door is not blocked, the red ghost will follow you around, making it very difficult (and very dangerous) to try and unlock the maze. The method I have devised involves using God mode and noclipping. First, you push walls 1-5 so that part of the puzzle is completed. This blocks the door preventing the red ghost from escaping the room. Then, turn on God mode and noclipping. Walk through wall 5 and the door, where you will also pass through the red ghost who will hit you (the reason for God mode, so he won't do you any harm). Pick up the two free lives, then go back through the door and wall 5 until you are in open floor. Then turn God mode and noclipping back off. You have now gotten both of those free lives, and the red ghost is trapped in the room, unable to get out. You will hear him continually trying to get out, as the door to the room keeps opening and closing, but he cannot pass through the wall, so he is stuck there.

I realize that it may be difficult to tell which push-wall is which, so I made the following text-chart to assist with identification.

Code:
      1       2       3       4       5       6       7
    +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
    |     | |     | |     | |     | |     | |x x x| |x x x|
    |     | |     | |  x  | |  x  | | x x | |     | |     |
    |  x  | | x x | | x x | | x x | |  x  | |     | |  x  |
    |     | |     | |     | |  x  | | x x | |     | |     |
    |     | |     | |     | |     | |     | |x x x| |x x x|
       8       9       10      11      12      13      14
    |x x x| |x x x| |x x x| |x x x| |x x x| |x x x| |     |
    |     | |     | |     | |  x  | |  x  | |  x  | |     |
    | x x | |x x x| |xx xx| |xx xx| |xx xx| |xxxxx| |     |
    |     | |     | |     | |     | |  x  | |  x  | |     |
    |x x x| |x x x| |x x x| |x x x| |x x x| |x x x| |     |

secret - E6L10 (Secret) pushwall maze Maze2
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

secret - E6L10 (Secret) pushwall maze Empty Re: E6L10 (Secret) pushwall maze

Post by Asa Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:23 pm

After I posted this, I went and played the level. I learned something else I hadn't previously known. The game will treat dead enemies as obstacles in the path of a push-wall, the same as it treats living enemies as obstacles. I couldn't push wall 13 in the desired direction because of this. Fortunately, I was able to get the 3 free lives and then push it in the opposite direction. This allowed me to get 100% of everything on the level without sacrificing a push-wall or the 3 free lives. Of course, I won't have verification of this until I finish Episode 6 to see it I get 100% of all 3 items, but I'm reasonably certain I got everything before I finished the level.
    AryanWolf3D
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2020-02-26

Post by AryanWolf3D Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:52 am

Last edited by AryanWolf3D on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:13 am

Really? I didn't know that. I thought that it would count towards the episode totals because it is part of the episode. I'll have to try going through an episode without playing the secret level and see what shows up in the episode totals.

But then, if you're like me and you want 100% completion on every level, then it's important to know if you can complete a secret level too.
    AryanWolf3D
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2020-02-26

Post by AryanWolf3D Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:32 am

Last edited by AryanWolf3D on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:46 am

From what I can tell, you can push and get everything if you do these 5 moves first

secret - E6L10 (Secret) pushwall maze E6l10_1

(this was actually the first way I tried, maybe I'm just lucky?) Try it that way and let me know how it goes Smile
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:17 pm

Well, you are getting all the free lives, yes, but you are not getting all of the secret doors. Apparently, getting all the secret doors doesn't count on secret levels, but I didn't know that, and besides, I like making sure every push-wall is pushed, in addition to getting 100% kills and 100% treasure. But, that's just me.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 am

Princess Peach wrote:From what I can tell, you can push and get everything if you do these 5 moves first

secret - E6L10 (Secret) pushwall maze E6l10_1

(this was actually the first way I tried, maybe I'm just lucky?) Try it that way and let me know how it goes Smile

Reminds me of when I first played E4L2; the tricky pushwall section was one of the few things in Wolf I got right the first time. Was very pleased!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:08 am