Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

4 posters

Where Have All the Wolfers Gone?

giftmacher
    giftmacher
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Where Have All the Wolfers Gone? Empty Where Have All the Wolfers Gone?

Post by giftmacher Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:58 am

This place is quiet as always, Discord activity is minimal lately, DHW is dead as dead can be.

Is it just a temporary lull, or is the interest in Wolf3d and its coummunities a thing of the past?

Just wondering...

Where Have All the Wolfers Gone? Empty Re: Where Have All the Wolfers Gone?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:07 am

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ryu-sama
    Ryu-sama
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Male
    Number of posts : 80
    Job : Student (Medicine)
    Registration date : 2020-01-11

Post by Ryu-sama Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:33 pm

Life takes its toll. Of course, it does. And it's summer - and Corona. Says much I guess.

I try to be active here. But I'm not coding or mapping or something like that. I enjoy playing the game (Wolf3D/RtCW) and mods and add ons. And I need to learn a lot for my studies - becoming a doctor isn't that easy.

I'm also on Discord, but I haven't posted there lately.

That's all for my part at the moment. Oh, and I'm going to be in hospital at the end of the month. Most likely, I'll be back in two weeks' time.
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 191
    Hobbie : Wolfenstein 3D, Final Fantasy and Sokoban
    Registration date : 2010-08-03

Post by Asa Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:39 pm

I was here many years ago, but only briefly. I lost my computer and everything that was on it, so I had no way or reason to come back until now. I'm not really trying to mod all that much. Mostly I just want to customize the game a little (like adding the god mode sprites to Wolf3D and getting the panting sprite to work the way it should). I am delving into dealing with modding the source code for the first time (to get the god mode sprites to work), and I am editing some aspects of the original levels that I think need addressing. I'm here abit now, but I don't see much activity. I'm just happy that Wolf3DGuy is willing to help me with what I am trying to do. I just got Borland C 3.1 installed, the wolf3d source downloaded and am just about ready to start doing the coding he has shown me need to be done. I'm still trying to figure out how to insert sprites though. WDC isn't very helpful in explaining how to do that. But I will prevail. And I think the Wolf3D community just needs a reset, and that may be what's happening now.
    AryanWolf3D
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2020-02-26

Post by AryanWolf3D Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:29 am

Last edited by AryanWolf3D on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:42 pm

AryanWolf3D wrote:You should probably use ChaosEdit for graphics, since it's a lot more straightforward.

I will look into that. Thanks.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:17 am

Wolf3DGuy wrote:
    AryanWolf3D wrote:You should probably use ChaosEdit for graphics, since it's a lot more straightforward.

I definitely can agree with that, I can also recommend it for map making as well, or basically for anything that is possible to do in the editor!

Unless you work with 128x128 (or bigger) sized maps, then use WDC and also use it to add PC Speaker and adlib sounds or text files for help screens and such, mainly because these things are missing in ChaosEdit, because it is still in prerelease state and I believe it will stay like this forever sadly, unless the author returns which is very unlikely, but hey, one can dream, right?

I used ChaosEdit to add the sprites. I had already made the changes to the Wolf3D source and recompiled. The graphics in the game were screwed up when I ran the recompiled engine with the modified graphics. I deleted the graphics files and ran the modified engine with a fresh copy of the other files and the graphics still didn't render correctly, so there must be something missing. I did everything exactly as instructed by Wolf3DGuy in this thread.

I am going to try again, but if I do everything exactly the same way I am expecting exactly the same result. BTW, I am using the files that were modified with the patch that brought them up to v1.4. They were originally 1.1 files. I used the patch that came with ECWolf.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 am