Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

3 posters

Wolf3dguy's amazing graphics discoveries

Wolf3dguy's amazing graphics discoveries Empty Wolf3dguy's amazing graphics discoveries

Post by Guest Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:45 am

Here is a thread where Wolf3dguy can post all his amazing graphics discoveries with the original wolf3d! Stay tuned for things like "Death Knight uses the same face as Trans", "There is still green and purple on these sprites", "The rocket rotations are wrong", "They used these wolf3d textures in doom/quake/lost episodes" and many more!
    AryanWolf3D
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2020-02-26

Wolf3dguy's amazing graphics discoveries Empty Re: Wolf3dguy's amazing graphics discoveries

Post by AryanWolf3D Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:21 am

Last edited by AryanWolf3D on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Roebloz likes this post

Wolf3dguy's amazing graphics discoveries Empty Re: Wolf3dguy's amazing graphics discoveries

Post by Guest Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 am

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 191
    Hobbie : Wolfenstein 3D, Final Fantasy and Sokoban
    Registration date : 2010-08-03

Post by Asa Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:34 pm

LOL These threads crack me up. You guys should make use of them though. You could say alot, you know.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:06 pm

He's Gretel on Ladies' Night Out?
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:30 pm

Do you happen to know what format the wall textures in the Mac version of Wolf3D are? I think I used to know, but I've long forgotten. I've tried pict and bitmap, but it's apparently neither of those. I've been searching for info, since obviously it is a known subject since so many people made custom wall textures for their mods of the game, but I can't find anything on it anywhere.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:07 pm

serpens
    serpens
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-01-11

Post by serpens Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:21 pm

I don't know what format they are originally (probably BMP), but I do know they're compressed with a custom version of the LZSS algorithm. We might be able to reverse the compression and get at the original data once a certain someone gets around to it.
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:24 pm

Wolf3DGuy wrote:Honestly, I don't know anything about the Wolf3D ports. If I have to guess I believe it's BMP or PNG.

I don't think PNG existed yet in 1994. I tried BMP, but it seems the software I have for viewing BMP images don't recognize the data as being BMP, so I'm guessing it's maybe something else, or is headerless and is missing vital information about the format. That would make sense, given that so many different resources are all stored in a single resource in the Mac version called BRGR (which stands for burger, which is the nickname of Bill Heineman, the guy who ported the SNES version to the Mac). I just can't remember what the format is to save my life. I want to continue with the work I was doing when I had to stop (before my Quadra, Windows 2000 tower, and all my disks were stolen).
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:39 pm

serpens wrote:I don't know what format they are originally (probably BMP), but I do know they're compressed with a custom version of the LZSS algorithm. We might be able to reverse the compression and get at the original data once a certain someone gets around to it.

Now that would explain alot! I never thought about compression. You say it's a custom version. I wonder how all the mod makes who created wall textures and sprites for the game dealt with that if the engine was expecting compressed resources. I guess Laz Rojas would know, but he's having extreme difficulties right now, so I doubt he would even be interested in even talking about it. Well, I am definitely interested in finding out as much as I can. I want to be able to deal with those resources and study them further.

I'm still holding out hope that I can get my hands on copies of the original 1st encounter, 2nd encounter and 3rd encounter games. The shareware version floating around the net these days is a hack version that was called v1.0.3 when it first showed up on BBS' back in the 90s. I did a comparison of it to the 1.0 version and the 1.0.1 version (that you made by applying a patch that was released by MacPlay) in my Almost Complete Guide to Wolfenstein 3D. That's how I was able to figure out this is the hack version. There are specific differences between them, but mostly not visible in the game. I never did complete my analysis, and I would like to do that now, along with comparisons of the 3rd encounter and commercial games. I always thought they were the same game, but I have on my Mac OS9 emulator a set of patches that includes separate patches for 3rd encounter and commercial, so there must be some differences I didn't know about back then. I purchased 2nd and 3rd, but didn't buy the commercial version because I thought the only difference was the 2nd encounter episode file that commercial contained that 3rd encounter didn't have. I created my own since I already had 2nd encounter. Anyway, this is all just me ranting some more, hoping someone will feel sorry for me and give me the files since I can't even buy them anywhere anymore.

If you can point me to some information about the formats of the various resources in the BRGR resource in the Mac versions, I would appreciate it.
    AryanWolf3D
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by AryanWolf3D Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:59 pm

Last edited by AryanWolf3D on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    serpens
    serpens
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Post by serpens Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:10 pm

Asa wrote:
    Now that would explain alot! I never thought about compression. You say it's a custom version. I wonder how all the mod makes who created wall textures and sprites for the game dealt with that if the engine was expecting compressed resources. I guess Laz Rojas would know, but he's having extreme difficulties right now, so I doubt he would even be interested in even talking about it. Well, I am definitely interested in finding out as much as I can. I want to be able to deal with those resources and study them further.
    I think they didn't have to do much. Putting your new graphics into WolfEdit was enough as the editor was capable of converting them to compressed BRGR resources just fine. Sounds, by the way, are even easier. Although most sound clips in Mac Wolfenstein are also compressed, they game doesn't actually care and will happily use uncompressed snd files as long as they have the right resource numbers. Makes me wonder what would happen if you replaced some BRGR resources with uncompressed graphic files

AryanWolf3D
    serpens wrote:We might be able to reverse the compression and get at the original data once a certain someone gets around to it.
    I've got a cute middle finger here you might be interested in. ;-)

What are you going to do with it?

Post by Guest Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:32 am

AryanWolf3D
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Post by AryanWolf3D Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:13 am

Last edited by AryanWolf3D on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    serpens
    serpens
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Post by serpens Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:04 pm

Well, just don't look down the barrel.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:38 am