Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

4 posters

A question about SDL

RavenX
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2015-04-15

A question about SDL Empty A question about SDL

Post by RavenX Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi All - I'm a new member here and have just re-discovered wolf3d via plaing Areyep's Wolfendoom TC - I was thinking about doing some mapping and was wondering:-

I see old map sets are being converted to SDL, what exactly does the conversion from Dos to SDL involve?..... are source code changes required for specific map sets?... do the actual map files need to be modified or can they just be packaged with the SDL .exe and related .dll files?

Thanx in advance,

Matt
    Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2012-11-01

A question about SDL Empty Re: A question about SDL

Post by Mega Luigi Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Welcome, then. Cool 

I never really converted any DOS mod to SDL, but I can tell you some things from a theoretic perspective of mine. If you want to convert a somewhat "vanilla" game (code wise, I mean), you probably won't need to do anything or very few changes in the code. However, if you want to convert a more advanced game, it may be a bit harder to do that. As for the maps, old DOS games that have textured floors/ceilings probably won't use plane 3 in their maps, while SDL games do. In that case, I suppose you would have to "transfer" the hard coded textured floors and ceilings to a map's third plane.

In other words, it all depends on which game we're talking about. Some may cause you a little more trouble than others. Like I said, I never did the process, so that's what came in my mind right now. Perhaps Andy could share a bit of his experience with you Smile
    RavenX
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2015-04-15

Post by RavenX Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:11 pm

I think my opening post may have come across a bit vague.....what i'm most interested to know can any 'vanilla' maps that I create just be packaged with the SDL .exe  - or do they need any special modification to be SDL 'compatible'?
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:06 pm

As long as you're not trying to port a mod from dos to SDL, it's very easy. Just start out with SDL and edit maps normally and it's all SDL. If you have original Wolf3d, just take the Dos version and place the SDL files in the same folder, done. Or, you can edit somebody's original Wolf3d/Sod mapset.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Officer-Michael John
    Officer-Michael John
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 332
    Hobbie : Video and Wolf 3D mode making
    Registration date : 2014-08-04

Post by Officer-Michael John Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:55 am