Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

4 posters

ECWolf 1.3 Released

Blzut3
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2011-04-05

ECWolf 1.3 Released Empty ECWolf 1.3 Released

Post by Blzut3 Mon May 26, 2014 12:23 am

New release of ECWolf is now available.

Also worked with Wisdom Tree to get a new version of Super 3D Noah's Ark released using the engine.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

ECWolf 1.3 Released Empty Re: ECWolf 1.3 Released

Post by WolferCooker Mon May 26, 2014 8:08 am

Will look into it.

Now why would you wanna have any dealings with Super Noah's Ark 3D? I side with AVGN on that game (Angry Video Game Nerd); goats trying to kill Noah LMAO.
    snuffi
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2013-08-09

Post by snuffi Mon May 26, 2014 12:49 pm

i cant get the techdemo expansion pack totenhaus get started.. " an error has occured"    can someone help me? the techdemo works fine
    Blzut3
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Blzut3 Mon May 26, 2014 11:36 pm

WolferCooker wrote:Will look into it.

Now why would you wanna have any dealings with Super Noah's Ark 3D? I side with AVGN on that game (Angry Video Game Nerd); goats trying to kill Noah LMAO.
    I take it you never played the game then?  I would have a hard time understanding how a Wolf3D fan would not like the game since it's basically 30 new levels.  They're fairly well designed too (with a few exceptions) if you ask me.  Sure it has a kid friendly theme, but is that really what makes the game bad?
    snuffi wrote:i cant get the techdemo expansion pack totenhaus get started.. " an error has occured"    can someone help me? the techdemo works fine
    Try the 32-bit version of ECWolf.  One of the sounds appears to be crashing the 64-bit SDL_mixer, although I'm not sure why.
    Nexion
    Nexion
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 275
    Hobbie : bringing chaos & madness into universe
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

ECWolf 1.3 Released Empty curious cat cannibal

Post by Nexion Wed May 28, 2014 5:28 pm

I'm bit lost between all the license jungle so not sure if i skipped some info. You/Wisdom Tree are making money from Noah's Ark the way i read it.
    Won't it cause trouble with all the Wolf4SDL, zDoom, mame, dosbox code in there? Otherwise would it be possible to sell Wolf4SDL/ECWolf "TCs" in some "tricky" ways? Or is the wolf3d license (which noah's ark got) the only obstacle?
    Blzut3
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Blzut3 Wed May 28, 2014 6:52 pm

Wolfenstein 3D's source code is permitted to be used under the GPL.  (John Carmack has said that on numerous occasions.)  I contacted Ripper a long time ago and he said that Wolf4SDL is under the same license as Wolf3D (so either non-commercial or GPL at compiler's discretion).  ECWolf continues that dual licensing scheme.

The GPL edition of Wolf4SDL or ECWolf uses the GPL DOSBox OPL emulator instead of MAME, so the MAME license doesn't apply.  All of the ZDoom code I used in ECWolf is licensed under the standard 3-point BSD (GPL compatible).

So there's nothing tricky there.  You are correct that Wisdom Tree did purchase a license to the engine and can therefore bypass the id license, but we didn't need to use that since you are permitted to sell the GPL version of ECWolf as long as the source code is provided.  The source code to the new noah3d binaries is linked on the itch.io page.

As long as your TC is not in quotes, you can sell it. ;)If you use any content derived from the vanilla data files then you are subject to the EULA.  It's just the engine itself that is free.
    Nexion
    Nexion
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 275
    Hobbie : bringing chaos & madness into universe
    Registration date : 2008-02-27

ECWolf 1.3 Released Empty incoming flood of shovelware

Post by Nexion Thu May 29, 2014 5:45 pm

That's indeed interesting to know. I had some look at GPL license not  so long ago but didn't catch this. I thought it's still the classical old thing. Purchase engine license x for 124342223 billions of $.
    Cool thing although is there chance that Zenimax could screw over GPL at this point? They currently don't seem to be too happy about Mr. Carmack.

I read that MAME license was more strict in this regard so the Dosbox choice i assume : P
    Unrelated random thing:
    Currently i'm running my thing off Wolf4SDL with MAME OPL but for some reason the imf songs are distorted when i switch to the DOSBOX OPL. Maybe the midis got badly converted. On switching back to MAME and removing the other from compiler the game keeps crashing unless i keep the #if (DBOPL_WAVE > WAVE_HANDLER) related stuff.

Yeah well, my "TC" is actually not in quotes and was more of a generalization. Mine is actually more like a new game and all is made from scratch except for the engine due to my lack of programming skills.
    Does the engine include data.wl6 and their header files or is it a case for the EULA (file structure)? I haven't had a look inside those ECWolf pk3 files yet.

Bonus: Could i sell it then as Wolf4SDL (with dbopl) or you could sell mine as ECWolf game?

Not that anyone would ever buy it anyways. More like i would need to pay people to play it at all, haha.
    Blzut3
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Blzut3 Thu May 29, 2014 8:22 pm

No, Zenimax can't revoke a license like that.  There exists a few archived emails from John Carmack before the Zenimax buyout stating that he GPL'd the source a long time ago.  Presumably he GPL'd the Wolf3D source at the same time he granted permission to use the Doom source under the GPL.  (Doom's source was not repackaged with the GPL license by id, it's a fan package in response to said permission.  That's why the Github copy of it still uses the non-commercial license.)

Everything in the original source release/wolf4sdl should be OK to use in a commercial product.  So the header files (which just give names to the indexes) are fine.  My note about the EULA is because I know a lot of sprite work is done using the wl6 sprites as a base.  But if your game data is all original then you're set to go.

If you port your game to ECWolf and then sell that, the only modification you would probably want to make is to remove some of the graphics from ecwolf.pk3 which are used to reconstruct the Read This in the Activision version of the game and the sign on screens.  (Requires nothing more than deleting a few files.)  I would also recommend rebranding the engine (just requires a change to the version.h) so that it doesn't have wolf in the name, but that's probably a non-issue in actuality.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:40 am