Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+7
JDMGD0
Mega Luigi
giftmacher
Thomas
Atina
doomjedi
Richter Belmont
11 posters

Wolf3d Map Editors

Imed
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2013-10-26

Wolf3d Map Editors Empty Wolf3d Map Editors

Post by Imed Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:30 am

Wolf3d Map Editors
    Hello people! I am Imed; member of Demedgruppestudios ( http://demedgruppe.comuf.com/ ). I dont speak english so excuse me if i am not too clear.
    Well, we are working on a mod for wolf3d (Wolf4sdl) from over a year ago, and recently we reach a point where the map editors are too limited for our proyect. Our biggest problem is the texture limit inside of the map editors (we are using Chaos edit), we have more than 64 textures in our mod -all working properly - but is too dificult to use in the map editor because is limited to 64 textures/ID´s only. We try everything already but nothings seems to work, for example:

In 3d mode, what you see in the editor -if you are using a texture which ID is bigger than original 64- is not what you see ingame. 

That is just one of the problems we are facing, but the only one "Hard" for us.

Other editors are more limited or the are in alpha state and too buggy.
    So, what i am asking for?
    Is there any map editor open source? even map edit? something that allow us to use more textures.
    We really dont need something fancy like "3d view" (is usefull YES, but we can live without it).
    I cant find any open source editor so, if that doesnt exist, anyone has a clue of how to create one?
    We look at that posibility but there is a lack of information about the wolf3d map format, and reverse engineering to gamemaps file...well, i believe is not legal.

Ok, thats all by now.
    We really hope someone can help us, our mod will bring something fresh and new to the wolf3d modding world and we planned the release date before Christmas santa, if this problem can be solved.

Well thanks in advance for taking time to read this and/or help us.
    Richter Belmont
    Richter Belmont
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 231
    Job : Pushing Carts At Shop-rite
    Hobbie : Makeing Games, Playing Castlevania
    Registration date : 2007-07-09

Wolf3d Map Editors Empty Re: Wolf3d Map Editors

Post by Richter Belmont Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:44 am

That's always been a problem with chaosedit for me honestly. I don't know about the 64+ walls thing but you should give HWE a try

Post by Guest Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi Tyrone!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:01 pm; edited 65 times in total
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by doomjedi Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:38 pm

I love ChaosEdit.
    And you can avoid the walls limitation by using wallpatches.
    Imed
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Imed Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks for the answers guys.

Richter Bermont, i try HWE just before posting on this site Wink
    That editor has a lot of potential, but the current version (0.3.3) is too buggy; the biggest problem arrives when you save your map and the file is corrupt (due a saving error or something like that related to the editor) or suddenly it close. I hope the author make a more stable version soon.

Chokster37...what are you saying to me?confused? Is a joke? an insult? Wink

Doomjedi...
    Wallpatches;   It has some kind of limitation in the number of wallpatches you can use in a map?
    Thanks for that and for Operation Einsenfaust, i really enjoy it.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:00 am

Imed wrote:It has some kind of limitation in the number of wallpatches you can use in a map?
    Not that I know about. Wolf4SDL has no actor limitation in maps.
    Wallpatch is coded as an object you put over a wall....so it's as limited as the objects limitation of the Editor you use (512 in ChaosEdit, no limit in other editors). Each wallpatch replaces at least a few wall variants and can be used onto any wall - so since we moved to using WallPatches in our mods - we don't suffer from walls limitation.

You're welcome Smile
    Try our other mods too Smile

http://www.moddb.com/company/team-raycast

And also wait for our nexts mods Smile Hope to keep the standards as high in next future mods or even...who knows Wink
    Imed
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Imed Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:53 am

doomjedi wrote:
    Imed wrote:It has some kind of limitation in the number of wallpatches you can use in a map?
    Not that I know about. Wolf4SDL has no actor limitation in maps.
    Wallpatch is coded as an object you put over a wall....so it's as limited as the objects limitation of the Editor you use (512 in ChaosEdit, no limit in other editors). Each wallpatch replaces at least a few wall variants and can be used onto any wall - so since we moved to using WallPatches in our mods - we don't suffer from walls limitation.

You're welcome Smile
    Try our other mods too Smile

http://www.moddb.com/company/team-raycast

And also wait for our nexts mods :)Hope to keep the standards as high in next future mods or even...who knows Wink
    oh, i understand. Thanks.

pd: i already played your others mods. BatmanvsBane was fun but i was a little anooying because was too dark to me Wink, an sometimes you dont see from where are shooting at you...in my opinion is a good thing to have in a mod, but not to abuse of it.

Split Wolf, oh..i remember playing that on my old Pentium III with my brothers. ¿Will you include the option of play with split screen in future mods?.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:48 am

Imed wrote:Split Wolf, oh..i remember playing that on my old Pentium III with my brothers.
    Did you try Beta 2? It's much better than beta 1.

Will you include the option of play with split screen in future mods?.
    No.
    Originally LinuxWolf allowed such mode for BvsB, it was actually the first test of SplitScreen in action, but we scrapped it....as making 8-dir frames (including shooting and pain) for all enemies and Bosses of each particular mod is too much work (I did it for some BvsB enemies at the time...but later gave up). Just imagine it. If you don't - you probably undervalue "SplitWolf"'s art achivement for making all those frames for enemies and Bosses....it's was a HARD work, frame by frame, and I doubt authors of other TCs will go through all the pain of making such per each enemy - and without such SplitScreen will look most lame. "SplitWolf" works so well because I went through the pain of making all those frames for classic Wolf3D. Each enemy for "SplitWolf" requires much more frames than usual enemy.

...numerious other projects already asked my permission to use those frames in other mods, including zDoom mods.

SplitWolf supports any classic Wolf3D / Spear mappack.
    "SoD Extreme" we recently released supports SplitWolf, being a classic Spear mod.

Good news is that we are considering Beta 3 - after some new feedbacks came to us. Beta 3 (if ever released) will have some cool new gameplay options we recently discussed with LinuxWolf..
    Atina
    Atina
    ABC-123
    ABC-123

Female
    Number of posts : 123
    Hobbie : Nitpicking
    Registration date : 2010-09-09

Post by Atina Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:06 am

doomjedi wrote:(...)
    If you were such a nice artist you wouldn't have to mention it in every second post tongue
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 am

Oooooh snap!
    giftmacher
    giftmacher
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by giftmacher Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Atina wrote:
    doomjedi wrote:(...)
    If you were such a nice artist you wouldn't have to mention it in every second post tongue
    Game, set and match bom
    Imed
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Imed Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:35 pm

doomjedi wrote:
    Imed wrote:Split Wolf, oh..i remember playing that on my old Pentium III with my brothers.
    Did you try Beta 2? It's much better than beta 1.

Will you include the option of play with split screen in future mods?.
    No.
    Originally LinuxWolf allowed such mode for BvsB, it was actually the first test of SplitScreen in action, but we scrapped it....as making 8-dir frames (including shooting and pain) for all enemies and Bosses of each particular mod is too much work (I did it for some BvsB enemies at the time...but later gave up). Just imagine it. If you don't - you probably undervalue "SplitWolf"'s art achivement for making all those frames for enemies and Bosses....it's was a HARD work, frame by frame, and I doubt authors of other TCs will go through all the pain of making such per each enemy - and without such SplitScreen will look most lame. "SplitWolf" works so well because I went through the pain of making all those frames for classic Wolf3D. Each enemy for "SplitWolf" requires much more frames than usual enemy.

...numerious other projects already asked my permission to use those frames in other mods, including zDoom mods.

SplitWolf supports any classic Wolf3D / Spear mappack.
    "SoD Extreme" we recently released supports SplitWolf, being a classic Spear mod.

Good news is that we are considering Beta 3 - after some new feedbacks came to us. Beta 3 (if ever released) will have some cool new gameplay options we recently discussed with LinuxWolf..
    Beta 2?confused?
    Downloading Right Now! Birthday Boy 

Yeah! Making 8 dir sprites really hard...even make only 1 sprite/frame (if you wanna do it well) has certains dificulties related to the time.

In our mod, we had a lot of details and we didnt use any texture, sprite or sound from the original wolf3d.

We spend time thinking in differents aproachs / methods for saving time when working with sprites or textures.

As a result, we are doing the things very quickly thanks to many tutorials and resources from the web and to Mmed for doing an awesome job in coding and art work too.

In my opinion wolf3d right now has certaing basic limitations that need a solution to make the engine more versatile and save us hundreds of hours.

For example:
    Wolf3d should load the textures and sprites externally and without limits. The assignation of id´s should be automatic.
    Maybe i am dreaming too much...Sleep

But with something like that (supported by the editors too,obviously) mods could be not only more detailed, i am not aiming to that only, mods could be created more quickly, because is more easy that way..at least for us due the use of external graphics editors instead of chaos edit or whatever.

Ok, I hope my English is understandable.

Seeya! king
    Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2012-11-01

Post by Mega Luigi Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:14 am

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question, but ChaosEdit is not limited to 64 wall textures, although you cannot add many more. If you have gone beyond the limits of a normal wolf mod (i.e. by adding MANY new textures and MANY new objects) then you might want to use WDC. As far as I know, WDC (and maybe HWE, but you already tried that) is the only to support case numbers to 65535, what means virtually infinite new walls/objects/whatever you wish.
    Imed
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Wolf3d Map Editors Empty Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Post by Imed Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Mega Luigi wrote:I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question, but ChaosEdit is not limited to 64 wall textures, although you cannot add many more. If you have gone beyond the limits of a normal wolf mod (i.e. by adding MANY new textures and MANY new objects) then you might want to use WDC. As far as I know, WDC (and maybe HWE, but you already tried that) is the only to support case numbers to 65535, what means virtually infinite new walls/objects/whatever you wish.

At the moment we have more than 64 wall textures running on Chaosedit...The editor doenst recognize them well, so the "new ones" are replaced by the old ones in the 3d view, but in game looks correct, and that is the basis of the problem, we are "limited" now at 2d view editing mostly but the icons are all the same for new walls/floors/ceilings, i think i can be changed but is a hard task if you are using many textures.

That is all we has progress until now.

Thanks, we are working hard on it.
    Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2012-11-01

Post by Mega Luigi Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:21 am

Ah, now I see what you mean. Seems like there is a hardcoded limit for wall definitions on ChaosEdit. Sorry if I couldn't be too helpful on that matter.
    Imed
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Imed Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Mega Luigi wrote:Ah, now I see what you mean. Seems like there is a hardcoded limit for wall definitions on ChaosEdit. Sorry if I couldn't be too helpful on that matter.
    No problem, thanks for answer.

WDC is our best choice right now, we are working on to understand how the id system works so we can use more than 64 textures to it.

If that doesnt work...well, we are in trouble and facing 4 possibilities:

1) Use Chaos Edit with very VERY EXTREME care.
    2) Wait for an update for editors.
    3) Start Modding Doom...Sad
    4) Learn magic.

Ok, if we success you will see it in this forum
    Thanx and seeya!
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:54 pm

What about HWE?

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    JDMGD0
    JDMGD0
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Male
    Number of posts : 94
    Job : Professional Napper
    Hobbie : Napping of course :P
    Registration date : 2013-06-21

Post by JDMGD0 Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:09 am

He already said that he finds HWE too buggy... Razz

Let's think of a siggy... Well, I'd rather nap... :O
    Imed
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Imed Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:47 am

Dark_wizzie wrote:What about HWE?
    JDMGD0 wrote:He already said that he finds HWE too buggy... Wolf3d Map Editors Icon_razz
    Yes, is very unstable, sometimes the editor just shuts down without any warning or error message and you lost your work or it saves and damage all your maps. Is in Alpha stage and was one of our first choices due the possibility of create 256x256 maps because we have a drivables vehicles on our mod , but due the bugs we re-design our maps/ideas to work on 64x64...and as you may guess..is not so awesome. Sad

I tried to contact with the mod author "Havoc" using the link in the webpage http://hwolf3d.dugtrio17.com/index.php?section=news

without success, i think the link may be broken.

Thanks.
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:06 am

You can PM user Havoc on this forum, maybe you'll have more success.Smile
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 pm

JDMGD0 wrote:He already said that he finds HWE too buggy... Razz
    Oh my bad.
    Yeah, I've only used HWE for a little bit, and for original SDL wolf (with larger than normal levels). Didn't have problems there though. I thought Havoc was still maintaining the thing.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    D3m3
    D3m3
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Male
    Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2014-06-16

Post by D3m3 Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:57 am

How to save this in ChaosEdit?
    Wolf3d Map Editors Bandic10
    Imed
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by Imed Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:38 pm

D3m3 wrote:How to save this in ChaosEdit?
    Wolf3d Map Editors Bandic10

Hi.!
    Well, if you make any modification to the map, you will see the "diskettes" icon (on the left panel) activated, allowing you to save the map.
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Andy Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:41 am

And if you hover your mouse over each button, it usually shows what it does.
    D3m3
    D3m3
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Male
    Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2014-06-16

Post by D3m3 Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:47 am

I click Save All,but still had the floor and ceiling without textures
    Or if I edit the map,be sure to press all alone?
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Andy Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:12 am

Are you sure your EXE isn't the problem?

There may be valid ceilings and floors in the map's third plane, but if the EXE is not set to read them, it won't.

There's a line in VERSION.H that needs to be uncommented:

//#define USE_FLOORCEILINGTEX // Enables floor and ceiling textures stored in the third mapplane (see wl_floorceiling.cpp)

Also, if it's not already in your project, wl_floorceiling.cpp may have to added.

Make sure to rebuild all after doing either/both of these things in your code.

Alternative: make sure your map files are not read-only.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:31 pm