Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+6
WolferCooker
ronwolf1705
giftmacher
Tenamk
Per-Scan
Asa
10 posters

The Lost Relic TC problems/help/discussions

WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1198
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

The Lost Relic TC problems/help/discussions Empty The Lost Relic TC problems/help/discussions

Post by WolferCooker Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:05 am

Okay this latest released mod made by Mario Maniac and Mega Luigi has a lot of problems, but I know how to get it to work at least in Windows 7. You guys are pretty much on your own on the XP.

If you guys haven't played it yet and want to play it here is what you do (Windows 7):

REQUIRED:

- Run the game in compatibility mode located under the Properties of Wolf4sdl.exe. Set the compatibility mode to Windows XP, Vista, OR FOR BEST RESULTS, WINDOWS 95. THE GAME WILL CRASH UNLESS YOU RUN IT IN COMPATIBILITY MODE.

- Once a level has been loaded, the playing screen gets severely distorted. Adjust the game screen view in the main menu to full screen mode and the screen will be temporarily fixed. You must adjust the screen every level as the screen will be get distorted again after its done loading. Just remember to set the screen back to full screen mode.

OPTIONAL:

- Run the game in windowed mode to solve the palette problem. Create a separate batch file using Notepad and using @wolf4sdl --windowed. Do not save it text format. Be warned as you will not be able to use the mouse when playing.

- If do not want to run the game in windowed mode, you don't have to at all. The palette problems will exist, BUT IT WILL FIX ITSELF AT RANDOM TIMES IF YOU KEEP EXITING AND LOADING THE GAME.

I have beaten the game countless times so look to me for help if you have trouble with a level. Also open to discussions.[b]

Last edited by WolferCooker on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:10 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update post)
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

The Lost Relic TC problems/help/discussions Empty Re: The Lost Relic TC problems/help/discussions

Post by WolferCooker Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:12 am

I'll give you guys a first free piece of advice with this TC; Conserve ammo.

There are 10 different weapons, but most have low max ammo counts. Use the pistol and the machine gun as their ammo is the most common of all the weapons. Use the other weapons when you really need to.
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 385
    Registration date : 2010-09-29

The Lost Relic TC problems/help/discussions Empty Re: The Lost Relic TC problems/help/discussions

Post by Per-Scan Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:54 pm

In Windows XP I've actually found that all you have to do is set compatibility to Windows 2000 and it all runs fine (I think!). Thanks WolferCooker for the kickstart. Smile

I notice the keys are all the same colour in the status bar. Does anyone know if that is the normal behaviour or is it a small palette problem?
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:56 pm

If all are the same color, then that's a problem. On my screen, the key colors are gold and silver: gold on top and silver on bottom.

See you back here soon, Per-Scan. I know you'll be running into trouble with that game. For now, use your weapons wisely.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Before I give you guys another piece of advice, here are the list of weapons in order the first time you encounter them minus the knife and pistol. Ammo limits are listed there also.

- Mp40 SMG: 200
    - Chaingun: 200
    - Flamethrower: 80
    - Sten SMG: 150
    - Nordenfelt: 100
    - Rocket Launcher: 5
    - Rifle: 50
    - Blitzgewehr: 60

Now to the advice:

- When you start the game, your enemies are predominantly nazis and mutants. As you proceed further into the game, you will start to encounter demonic creatures and will become more common in higher levels. These creatures take a lot of ammo to kill. That doesn't mean you can go haywire with the best weapons you have if you have them all. You must conserve the heavy weaponry ammo unless you need for emergency or there are enough ammo crates to cover your losses. Otherwise you'll be stuck using the knife against strong enemies which won't work at all.

- Starting on level 9, you will see a black mancubus creature in your way. Unfortunately it cannot be killed yet so you must avoid him and proceed through the level at the same time. That black mancubus will appear in some levels after that so be on your guard and don't waste your ammo on him. Though he moves relatively slow, he will still hunt you down so be quick where you go on the levels you see him in.

- In addition to conserving your best ammo, take cover behind static objects such as a table, a statue, a flag pole, etc when under fire. When you encounter demonic creatures, some of them fire projectiles that can disappear if it hits a static object without hurting you at all. Same goes for flame and rocket projectiles. If will make you go a long way in the game instead of running and gunning.

- If you die, I recommend reloading your recent saved game instead of starting the level over with just a pistol. You will most likely not get all your weapons back right away unless you know the levels which have these weapons laying around for you to pick up.

- When you reach the final level, you will lose all your weapons and start with the knife. There is one weapon in that level you need to retrieve while avoiding all the enemies: the rifle. Once you get that, you have MOST of your weapons back. You lose the Nordenfelt, Rocket Launcher, and Blitzgewehr in your arsenal. You will also see that there are no ammo for those 3 weapons except for a few Blitzgewehr ammo which shouldn't be there at all.

That's all the advice for now as I will give all the advice on level 29 and 30 (final level) later as it is very tricky and needs to be completed a certain way.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:28 pm

I almost forgot. Even with this advice, The Lost Relic is still challenging to beat. If you study the enemies behaviors and patterns, you can defeat them. It will take you a lot of tries to figure out these patterns though so keep your finger on the quickload button (F9). Laughing
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 191
    Hobbie : Wolfenstein 3D, Final Fantasy and Sokoban
    Registration date : 2010-08-03

Post by Asa Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 pm

I just downloaded Lost Relic. It gets to the beginning of the first level and bombs. The palette problem is evident in the startup screen and loop screens. Not sure if the Options menu looks right, other than the layout. The background is all black.

I tried running it as-is first. It did the same thing, bombed as soon as the level was about to display.

I created a file with TextPad named LostRelic.bat that includes the @wolf4sdl --windowed statement. I'm not sure what you meant by "don't save it as text", but it launched the game in a window, and as soon as level 1 was about to display it bombed and closed the window.

My system:
    HP/Compaq nx9020 notebook
    1.5 GHz Celeron M
    Windows XP Professional SP3
    2-GB RAM
    40-GB HD, 5.5 GB free

I can launch WinWolf3D. I have downloaded both the wolf4sdl and sod4sdl, but have not tried to run them. Can you offer any help?

I just tried putting the program in compatibility mode for windows 2000. The game still does the same thing, run directly or using the batch file.

Last edited by Asa on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new info)
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:24 am

Hmmmm. Asa, I can only think of one reason it bombs. If you didn't adjust the size of game screen to its fullest then the game crashes. When you run it with the status bar (health, ammo, etc.) showing during gameplay, the game doesn't work. So in the main menu after you load The Lost Relic, go to Change View and adjust the screen to its largest (full screen). When you play it with that view, the game will not crash.
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:15 pm

WolferCooker wrote:Hmmmm. Asa, I can only think of one reason it bombs. If you didn't adjust the size of game screen to its fullest then the game crashes. When you run it with the status bar (health, ammo, etc.) showing during gameplay, the game doesn't work. So in the main menu after you load The Lost Relic, go to Change View and adjust the screen to its largest (full screen). When you play it with that view, the game will not crash.

I tried your suggestion. The level loaded, but this is what I got for a level:

http://wolf3dmall.zxq.net/PNG/this.png

It does not look right at all.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:52 pm

I have the exact problem too, WHICH IS WHY you must adjust the screen again.

- Go to Change View and adjust the screen. Minimize the screen one notch and then save it

- Once it is saved, go back to Change view and maximize back to full screen. Save it again.

And WALLA the screen is TEMPORARILY fixed. It will be fine until after you complete a level and the next level loads. Repeat the steps above after each level loads. You're gonna have to get used to doing that in this game.

WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Oh yeah I must warn you. The game WILL crash on one level and will encounter a problem on another.

- The level you encounter a problem with is the first secret level accessed from level 5. A warning will show up saying there is a problem with a certain type of shading. Just hit the ignore button. You'll be able to go through the secret level, but there will be orange hazing and some orange stripes on the blue doors. That's fine.

- The game will crash after you complete level 25 (Demonic Core). Save the game when you're in the exit elevator before you complete the level. When it crashes, load the game again. Don't worry about adjusting the screen yet. It may crash again and again when you attempt to complete the level, but like the palette problem fixing itself, you will be able to access level 26, BUT AT RANDOM TIMES. The game MAY also crash after completing Level 26 (Invasion). So just keep loading the game and complete the level again (also recommend saving game by exit elevator) and eventually you'll get through.
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Wow. OK. I'll do it. I have one question. Are the authors of this game going to fix these problems, or have they already moved on to bigger, better things?

I did what you said, and it works. I can at least play the game. The floor and ceiling being the same as the walls makes it almost claustrophobic, but it is bearable. I have trouble finding all the secret rooms. Also, if I choose Can I Play Daddy mode, which I usually do to get used to the level, I can't get the yellow key. The officer that holds it seems to be some other difficulty level.

Overall, not too shabby. I will probably play it some, but I am still working on getting through Episode 6 of the original game, in I am Death Incarnate! mode. I used to save multiple times per level, but this playthrough I decided to try saving only at the beginning of a level, and then completing the level with 100% of everything. I always end up saving at the end of the level, just in case I missed something, so I can go back and get it before moving on to the next level.

I do wish there was an overhead map in the game. Before you start talking about cheats, let me say that the Mac version of Wolfenstein 3-D has overhead maps. You can only see as much as you have explored, so you can't look ahead. IMO, this is not cheating. I think the reason ID removed it from the game was because they had not figured out how to make the map work that way. Also, the Mac version didn't use Tile8s, 16s or 16Ms for the map. It used the actual texture, displayed at 1/8th (16x16 pixel, the textures in the Mac version are 128x128) size.
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Per-Scan Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:47 am

Yeah, if there was ever to be one feature to become standard I really wish it would be a map system. It is doable as evidenced in Project X et cetera and it just makes life so much nicer. It's not like a map drastically changes game play, it just allows people with a rubbish sense of direction (me!) to enjoy the game fully. Smile
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:01 am

- Asa, take your time and familiarize yourself with each level. Search places where you haven't searched before. Search every wall and eventually you'll find a secret area. That's what I did the first time I played it, which is why it took me more than 2 weeks to beat it.

- If you play in the easiest mode (still hard as hell), there are 3 officers in Level 1. When you eliminate the last one, he'll drop a yellow key.

- There are no cheats in The Lost Relic. The creators (Mario Maniac and Mega Luigi) disabled them in all of their mods.

- The creators are NOT going to fix this game. In fact, they are making another different mod right now as we speak. I'm helping them with it (not coding or mapping, just ideas). For more info on this new mod, check out my "A little secret on an upcoming mod by Mario Maniac and Mega Luigi". thread
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:35 pm

I forgot the most important things I have to warn you guys about.

- Some demons fire projectiles that are guided and will come at you no matter where you are if you're in an open area. Again, take cover behind a static object to avoid getting hit by these projectiles. One particular projectile will bounce off walls and even when in cover, will affect you, but not as much.

Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Per-Scan wrote:Yeah, if there was ever to be one feature to become standard I really wish it would be a map system. It is doable as evidenced in Project X et cetera and it just makes life so much nicer. It's not like a map drastically changes game play, it just allows people with a rubbish sense of direction (me!) to enjoy the game fully. Smile

For me it isn't so much a lack of direction, though in some mazes it is easy to get turned around, as it is locations. Just because I found a secret door in a wall somewhere does not mean I know exactly where to look for it. When you are trying to complete a level in the shortest amount of time possible, it helps knowing exactly where that secret door is.
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:29 pm

WolferCooker wrote:I forgot the most important things I have to warn you guys about.

- Some demons fire projectiles that are guided and will come at you no matter where you are if you're in an open area. Again, take cover behind a static object to avoid getting hit by these projectiles. One particular projectile will bounce off walls and even when in cover, will affect you, but not as much.

Thanks for the warning. I've already had to deal with mutants, and even at baby level they're deadly. I've managed to get through them, but with no stats screen it's kinda hard to know how much damage I'm taking, or how much ammo I have left, or what kind of ammo to look for when the machine gun seems to use a different ammo, and I can't pick up anymore of the regular ammo, no matter how many rounds I fire.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:34 pm

- The stat bar is hidden, Asa. Just hold down the tab button and just like that it's there until you let go of the tab button.

- There is a bug with the Chaingun. If the ammo count is 150, you won't be able to pick up anymore of that ammo. If it is higher or lower than 150, you'll be able to pick up Chaingun ammo until 200, but it will continue to pick up ammo while the count remains at 200. Once at 200, DO NOT PICK UP ANYMORE CHAINGUN AMMO.

- There is a firing bug with the rifle. It double fires and takes a Chaingun bullet along with its own. If you run out of Chaingun ammo, the rifle will fire normally, but the damage will be significantly limited. Kind of like pistol damage. Keep track of the Chaingun ammo count when you use the rifle.

- There is a bug in acquiring a weapon. When you pick up the Sten SMG ammo WITHOUT HAVING the Sten SMG itself, you will be given the Sten SMG. In other words, you will be given a Sten SMG when you pick up its ammo for the first time. Once you pick up the Sten SMG ammo, just hit the 5 button and you'll have the Sten SMG.
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Per-Scan Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:44 am

I know the guys are working on their new project but it would be really nice if they did a bug fix release of this one first. Or, at least, allow someone else to fix it. It has a lot of potential but just leaving it in this state is a bit of a waste IMHO. It also doesn't bode well for the stability of their next project... no offence guys! Smile
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:22 am

Per-Scan, they don't know how to fix bugs, and other modders don't have the time to find these bugs and fix them.

But maybe they might know how to get around these bugs on their next project... at least I would hope.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:59 am

The game used to run fine on this netbook, and now it only works when I set the screen settings in a specific manner. I found the game to be pretty challenging. I mean, there are levels without any Nordfelt guns or whatnot, and if I died and started from a pistol, I get a buncha Nordfelt ammo for a gun I don't have. For some reason I had a hard time finding secrets, but that's probably my fault. There are many minibosses, and from what I've seen, a lot of emphasis is on the big load of different types of enemies. Many enemies I found to be great. I loved the different Nazi enemies. Not as sure about some of the mosnters, though. A few looked weird, although the ones from Doom were fine. The one that walked towards you and punched you was weird for me, since I can just walk back while shooting it with a small gun, thereby killing it.

I feel that the easiest difficulty level is OK, but needs to have a Nordfelt gun in every level somewhere so I can use the ammo, lol. The hardest difficulty level I have played till' level 13 or so. Those were challenging, and I had to learn how to use the flamethrower well. However, the lack of cheats and the loss of my save file meant that there was no way in hell I'd replay all 13 levels on ahrdest difficulty levels, especially with them so challenging. That is a shame, since I wanted to conquer the game on hardest difficulty. Oh well.

Speaking of flamethrowers, I was pleasantly suprised at the effectivness of the flamethrower. In some mods, the flamethrower and rock launchers are a mere gimmick, and are not useful for erradicating enemies at all. The rocket launcher can one hit ko maybe even a miniboss, and the flamethrower can erradicate an Ubermutant if done well.

I noticed several guards that were "frozen", seemingly under the wrong floor code, as well as some frozen minibosses.

The green zombie guards were interesting and I like them. The zombie officers were most difficult, since the zombie SS were not impervious to pain. I like the sound for the zombie SS.

From what I've seen, the pistol is bested by the machine gun, which is bested by the STG thingy, which is bested by the chaingun, which is bested by the Nordfelt. Loooove the Nordfelt. The sniper felt slightly gimmicky to me, but I used it when I was seriously short on ammo for all guns. It can probably one hit ko a mutant, which is ok. It can't one hit ko SS, which is annoying to me. So the weapon is just ok.

I felt that it's a bit weird that the monster that shoots out missles can have their missles go through the red oil barrels meant to keep it from destroying the base. I liked the blast radius of the rocket launchers from the player. Unfortunatly, I don't think the rockets from enemies have any blast radius. That, I felt, was odd.

Finding keys and knowing where to go can get difficult once in a while, with the death artifacts and whatnot. The demonic treasures were interesting, and I found them to be creative, although one orb turned my screen into a eye blinding red! No way am I getting that for a few points!

I loved it when I get invincibility artifact and I jump into a teleporter, and I try to blast away as fast as I could. Those were fun

I appreciate the humor when I look up maps on the editor. The level names spell out a message. I love how cheating by manually putting an elevator on the urn level gave me a special message, so long and so forth. The songs I can't question either, they were good.

One thing that wasn't too good were the glitches. The main thing was that I had to set up the monitor to my netbook monitor in a specific way to get the game working. I noticed, as I mentioned before, frozen guards and bosses. I also noticed that many times, when I die, my hp goes to 3% and I die, lol. Wut? I also saw that with invincibility arifact, my hp sometimes randomly spirals down and then stops. Maybe that was the way it was intended? Also, when I killed a fake hitler, it sometimes regenerates, dies, and shoots out the rocket AGAIN. This can go on from 1 up to 10 times, although 1-3 are the norm. Sometimes this doesn't happen alltogether. I don't know if this was intended or not.

I liked how when the fake Hitler died, it spewed out a rocket, and how when one of the monster died, it releases energy, spewing out some skulls that come flying around, doing damage. Interesting.

I don't like how there are rooms with many minibosses that lead to nothing. I mean, what's the point other than to waste the few ammo I have left?

The levels of SHS Hardcore are difficult, yet I felt that The Lost Relic may best it in difficulty with the scenarios possible from coding. Once in a while, I love a challenge. The lack of cheats really killed me here. I learned, nice and fast, that cheating is no good, from cheating at Oblivion. There wasn't as much fun. I just want to warp to level 13 on hardest difficulty and finish the game on hardest difficulty.

The guided projectiles were fun. The monsters that just do projectiles are easy to erradicate if I take cover behind a static object, however. I hate the Barons of Hell, though. Such a pain to take out.

The Luigi level was fun, although the game crashes before I can get to it. Probably for the best. Smile
    9/10

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Glad you like it Wizzie.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:26 pm

When I go to the level after I touch the urn, I lose all my weapons. Is this is on purpose? How do I get my guns?

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Yes Wizzie, this is on purpose. There is a rifle in the furthest green mossy walled room closest to the elevator. Run there and grab it. A lot of enemies will come at you so be fast and take cover back in the room that contained the urn. You lose the Rocket Launcher, Blitzgewehr, and Nordenfelt in the process. Use the Rifle, Machine Gun, and the Flamethrower first so you can save the Chaingun and Sten Ammo. Trust me, you won't be able to beat the game if you use the Sten and Chaingun first.

And yes I beat the game many times before I even edited it to my liking.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Hopefully a sequel to Lost Relic will be even better.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:42 pm

What is the point of allowing editting of the maps yet not allowing cheats? I just put invincibiltiy artifacts everywhere, lol.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 pm

So did I. Maybe a lot of wolfers that play only the games don't know anything about editing Wolf3d.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 am

I can report another bug. Sometimes you can pick up packs of 25 chaingun ammo even if the player has max ammo alraedy for teh chaingun. Maybe it has relationship to the rifle, not sure. But it's annoying.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:08 am

The Full Review of The Lost Relic

Maybe it's because there are 10 weapons, or that there are many different types of enemies. Or maybe both, But I
    feel like writing another, more full review The Lost Relic.

I finally defeated the whole game on easiest mode. I tried to beat the game on hardest a while ago, and it was hell.
    From level 4 and onwards, things got very difficult. I remember knifing a chaingun to death while one of those unkillable black thingys chased me around the map. OH JESUS! That would scare me to hell and back. At any rate, I got to around
    level 13. Then I lost my save file.

Cheats:
    Since there are none, I ragequitted on The Lost Relic. I am not willing to go through levels 1-13 again on HARDEST.
    If you have played the game until the last level on baby mode, you'd know the game is pretty challenging on baby.
    Imagine hardest. Time to knife all bosses to death, gaise! What is the point, though, of the no cheats? People just
    edit the game until they can "cheat". Lol.

Difficulty:
    Holy son of a gun. I was going to complain about how level 29 was hard, and how I ran out of ammo and couldn't find
    the last key. Lo and behold, suddenly a monster dropped a key. (What's up with this anyways, sometimes monsters
    drop keys, sometimes they don't?) And I finished with almost no ammo. Not a setback when you start out with a
    knife and no ammo on level 30. Oh GOD. Level 30. I mean, I consider myself to be able to play mods and set much harder
    than the norm, so I made SHS Hardcore mode and whatnot. But level 30 was at least at challenging as the hardest level
    of SHS Hardcore. A different kind of challenge, albeit.

I started level 30 with a knife, of course. Then I knifed the mummy to death. I open the door, sprinted (with run button,
    never let go of the run button!) towards the mossy haven with the sniper in it. The only problem is that some monsters
    don't appreciate my Matrix Moves. So they (censored)-blocked it. ***! I had to go around in circles. This was problematic due to the fact that there were many monsters about shooting many projectiles blinding the whole level with their projectiles. This was further aggrevated by the fact that moving around alerts more bosses. Ouch. At any rate, I ran inside the mossy haven eventually. The only problem is that.... the monster that does damage simply by being near BJ? That Black Mostrosity? HOLY CRAP HE DECIDED TO CAMP NEXT TO MY ROOM! Anywhere in the room, I got
    buy his stupid attack that goes through walls. With very low HP, I could not sustain myself in the that. Besides, there were not even enough ammo or HP. (I thought one of those green artifacts in the room woulda been nice...) Even if I did, the monsters came out too fast for me to kill them without them surrounding me. So there was only one option: to sprint out of the room!!! That in itself is dangerous, as you might as inferred from my info earlier. Sprinting at the correct places at the correct times DID save my life. The thing is, I don't think the level is possible without using the running key. It saved my butt so many times, I can't count, on that level. I spritned over several bosses, and they had a hard time hitting me with my zigzagging speed. GO TEAM! I have to repeat this running out of the room and back in thingy twice, since once was not enough. Actually, the third time I took regude behind the elevator area, using the ammo boxes there. From there on, it was the normal stuff. Until, of course, the final boss. While I still have not met a really challenging boss in the history of Wolf3d mods combined, this boss was challenging since I had very little ammo left. I tried to kill all the other monsters in the boss room and then kill the boss after, but then I quickly realized that my ammo was dwindling to nothing. (I saw two energy cell ammo around, but I can't use it. What the heck, guys?) At 40+ minutes into the level, I had to sprint around the WHOLE MAP, hoping I can get the boss to be left alone so I can shoot it for a bit. Then I have to repeat the whole process again. After several times, HE DIED. YEAH. I WON. YEAH!!!

Now, let's discuss the game mechanics.

Glitchs:
    There are multiple glitches. One glitch is that enemies can go INSIDE breakable pillars... and on occasion, go through them. Another is that enemies rockets go through red barrels yet mine don't. Another is that the enemy's rockets don't have splash damage. Another is that my rockets sometimes glitches out. I mean, they'd explode before impact, killing me, or do no damage to the enemy. A direct, clean hit usually fixes things, though. Another is the sniper rifle using sniper ammo and chaingun ammo glitch. Another is the player being able to pick up chaingun ammo after maxnig out at 200. Another is the player suddenly being only able to hold 150 chaingun bullets. Another is the red demon from Doom's attacks hitting through God Mode artifact. Another is the death of BJ at 3% HP. Another is sometimes if BJ get's hit bad, he might respawn at the elevator, but get done damage from before his death. Once I glitched out, and somehow got infinite rocket ammo. One key on my status bar overlapped the ammo display, and each rocket I shot out increased my ammo by one. Lol. And each ammo I picked up decreased my ammo. Once it hits 0, the glitch disapears. I lost the save file, unfortunately. Once, when I steped on a death artifact without any Holy Crosses, I died with the message saying "You have lost your last holy cross." What?

Game Info:
    Monsters: Here's what I think. All straight up projectile monsters are cake to beat. There is a glitch, or exploit... If I stand right behind a static object against a wall, a projectile only monster can never hurt me as the player. The Zombie Officers are difficult to dispatch since they move fast and shoot fast, and they have higher HP than a guard. I have to kill them with a chaingun or sten if I want to killit straight up. The monsters that just punch you, I don't like. What is the point of those? Lol. They don't fit inside the mod. I usually use my sniper ammo on it, since the weapon is kind of useless. The Zombie SS take a long time to kill with a machine gun, but they respond to pain. The Waffen SS move fast, and use their sten. It doesn't seem to do more damage to me than the machine gun, though. Fix please. The player can profit sten ammo by using sten against a mutantuber, but not a Waffen SS. The rocket launcher guy is easy to take out, since all enemy rockets don't have any splash damage for some epic reason. They drop a rocket ONLY IF the player does not have a rocket launcher. What the heck? The dude from doom that does missile shower is annoying too. He can can killed with a machine gun, albeit after a while, without a hitch. But using a rocket against the monster won't kill him. Thus, you lose rockets fighting this guy. Bad. Barons of Hell and their likes are easy to beat with my exploit. Oh, by the way... the machine thingys and the otretuber? The dudes that use the energy weapon? They have a glitch too. If you stand by a once space alcove or next to a door way, with the enemy in the doorway, the two will try to use their energy weapons at you at an angle. However, their attacks are projectile, and they just hit the wall without doing damage. Angling a gun to them at the correct angle kills them without any hp loss. The guys that shoot out those skulls? The onces that shoot out the skulls directly at you as a projectile weapon die and shoot out their blue energy lob and spurts out skulls. Either that or they choose to hit you with one big projectile. The ones that shoot out skulls to attack you, theey die and release many skulls. Many of those in a space may mean over 9000 skulls everywhere. Level 28, Hell's Essence, to see what I mean. The flamthrowers... the black SS flamethrower can also use his gun. Nice. They don't drop fuel, but they are easy to kill with a machine gun. The grey SS flamethrower guy is annoying. As he dies, he explodes, dealing damage. The regular flamethrower guy is run-of-the-mill. The mutants die explode upon death are annoying to kill in close quarter combat. The elite officers bring a nice finishing touch to the array of new enemies. The one dude that has the big hammer? Yeah. He slams the grounds and flame comes out. Well, he's a bit trickier to beat... the regular exploit will not be enough, since he also has a melee attack that does like triple damage. There is another way of beating projectile monsters. In a room with a static object in the center, you can just have the enemy on the other side. The enemy will do a few attacks hitting the static objects and then try to move around the static object. Then you move the other way to get away from the monster. This is how I sniped a Baron of Hell to death. I call this "Merry-Go-Around" method.

Weapons:
    The majority of the weapons in this game are good and non-gimmicky. The pistol, knife, and machine gun are the same old. The chaingun is better than the sten, yet uses ammo at a higher rate. The chaingun and sten uses different ammo that each other, or the machine gun for that matter. However, no semi boss drops chaingun stacks of ammo, so the ammo is a bit harder to come by through monsters. (I found it awkward that a worse weapon is placed after a superior weapon on the weapon's list...) The flamethrower is not gimmicky at all. The main usage of it is in long corridors. In situations like this, the enemy has only one way to reach the player, through the long, narrow passageway. The player can spill out endless flames into the long passage. Not only that... since the flames move a bit slow, there is another usage. If the player knows for a fact that a boss is right through a door in front of them, the player can back up a bit, and shoot out flames. (And move closer to the end of the flames closer to the door, while shooting out more flames, and mvoe back up, to doouble layer flames for double damage). Open the door and voila! The first thing the boss knows is a endless hellfire that burns up anything in its path. You can even triple it up with the Nordenfelt. Oh, speaking of which. The Nordenfelt is a good weapon. Superior firing rate. Small ammo capacity, however, at 100. It can take out semibosses in a heartbeat. Nice to have. The rocket launcher is glitchy. Sometimes it explodes and kills the player by splash damage for no reason. Sometimes it does no damage to the enemy. But a clean hit, square in the chest of the enemy always does the trick. These do great damage but using them in close quarters combat is suicidal. Bit weird how fast the player can relooad the rocket launcher, though. The sniper rifle uses the sniper ammo along with the chaingun ammo. It doesn't have to use the chaingun ammo, but if it doesn't, the firepower decreases. This is the only weapon I felt should have been taken from the game. It serves no real purpose. I mean, you CAN snipe an enemy from far away, but I can also launch fire from a flamethrower, or duck and hide shooting the enemy in close quarter combat. So nay for the sniper rifle. The energy weapon (Bli-Blitztwheger? What? I spelled it wrong, I'm sure.) is not gimmicky as I guessed. It's rate of damage might even surpass the Nordenfelt! It's a projectile weapon, so it's no use in exploits but it does big damage that can almost take out a Baron of Hell.

The typos in the game...:
    One thing I noticed. I think the person who wrote the text in the game does not know English very well. Some sentences are structured awkwardly, and there are multiple typos in the Read This! Speaking of which, the Read THis! is not very well done. It should have done info on every enemy, not just the "known enemy". If the creators didn't want the player to know about new enemies beforehand, they should consider a system like "unlocking beistary info" stuff in the Read This!. The story in the Read This! is lacking, especially for a person that never played the prequel to this game. I didn't, so I have no clue what they are talking about.

If you read all this, kudos to you.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 am

Nice review Wizzie. The rifle may be gimmicky, but it is useful if you run out of ammo.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:02 pm

I forgot the mention, the exit for level 22, the Unholy Angel, is insane.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Yes that was unexpected the first time I played it.
    Tenamk
    Tenamk
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 303
    Job : Spy
    Hobbie : Kick S.S.'s butt
    Message : Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayWolf3D

Post by Tenamk Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:04 am

Yay! Kudos to me!

I won the first forum raffle! cheers

Dark_wizzie's signature: Nobody is perfect, I am nobody. Copier of my siggy will be severely pwned.
    Tenamk says: Oh crap!
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:47 pm

I put compatibility for Windows Vista no service pack, set to windowed mode, set the screen to fullscreen inside settings when I was in the game, started level 1, crash.

EDIT: Set compatbility mode to windows 95, worked fine. Time to play hardest difficulty!

Now, how many of you ACTUALLY finished the game?

EDIT:
    Game crashes after a door closes...

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Wizzie, you are fooling yourself playing with it on hardest difficulty. Mario/Mega mods are impossible to beat on the harder difficulties.

BTW, I can't play that game anymore anyway. Ever since I got my newest computer, all of the past discoveries I found to get the game running does not work. And the screen doesn't fix itself like it did on my last computer

But I'll try windows 95 compatibility. The Lost Relic worked under Vista compatibility settings on my previous computer. Perhaps it was dumb luck all along i managed to play the game at all.

EDIT: Nice discovery you made with Windows 95 compatibility and windowed mode Wizzie. It works now for me. I would've never thought to see that work with this computer of mine.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 pm

That's the point, I beat easy mode, and I want to see if it's possible to beat hardest. *MAYBE* if I knife some bosses by exploiting AI, find all secret areas, only do the secret areas that favor me (if there even are any...), I could ekk out a win after using all save slots on each level, with a save at start of the level.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Good luck with that. It's NOT easy to do. Tried it myself eons ago.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:30 pm

But you did finish The Lost Relic on easy, so SHS shouldn't be too bad for you. Wink

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:14 am

Like hell it is. There isn't enough ammo for all the weapons. And there are only so many god and knife stabbing artifacts. Try knifing all the enemies one by one. It takes up SO much time. All the enemies in harder modes are A LOT stronger in health and damage.

Hey be my guest and give it a shot Wizzie, but you'll eventually change your mind.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:16 pm

(Is mad that people complained about the difficulty in SHS and I heard not one peep of complaint about the difficulty of The Lost Relic, probably because nobody bothered to play high enough levels to encounter any difficulties.)

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:09 am

That's because the Lost Relic is too bugged to play for a lot of people. Maybe some people still can't play it at all even with this thread advice.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 am

Did the Mega Brothers ever release anything without obvious bugs??? This is silly. One of the reasons why I've rarely played any of their mods past the 1st or 2nd level is that I know it will fail, or that it indeed did fail - the EXE. That and the insane difficulty which isn't really thought through - rather just being difficult for the sake of it, without thinking or logical approach.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Well Thomas, this is straight from the horse's mouth since I have the best connections with Mario Maniac and Mega Luigi; their next mod will be bug free. They told me they rushed on making their mods up until this point and didn't bother fixing the bugs because they were inexperienced with fixing them at the time. They both have learned their lesson.

While they have been slowly inching their way towards completion of this mod since 2010, they have been thoroughly testing it each time they implement new things and clean up any bugs that occur, which is partly the reason why they've been taking so long. They also haven't had a lot of free time in long bursts to make major progress in a short amount of time.

All in all, you'll be comfortable with this upcoming mod. Trust me.

Last edited by WolferCooker on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:17 pm

I hope so, because it's been a loooonngggg time since their last mod.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Well for one, Mario and Mega are flirting at the idea of putting up a teaser vid or two on Youtube instead of screenshots once they are close to finishing the mod.

It's a long wait, but I assure you and everyone else interested that it is worth the wait. I haven't seen it myself, but I believe Mario and Mega.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:18 am

I have to be honest. I'm not the only one in the community who've had a hard time believing that Mario and Mega were indeed brothers, that is TWO people - or if they were two friends. I don't know if it's just one user, or what the hell is going on.

Hopefully there'll be some clarity soon. Why don't they both join this forum or something? Get it all cleansed out and make them an actual part of the community.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 am

I have over 200 of their emails to me over 2 years and I can tell you that they ARE brothers. I can tell in their writing and language.

I don't think they want to join the forums, but they do look at them from time to time.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:53 am

Why not join this forum, it's FRIGGIN AWE-SUM! rabbit

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 am

I do not know Wizzie.
    giftmacher
    giftmacher
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by giftmacher Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Mah.. after being banned from DHW way back in 2004, they decided they didn't want to be bossed around by powertrip-driven admins anymore and so they created their own Wolf3d forum (sounds familiar Eric, no? tongue) and a damn good one too.. With the exception of some stubborn individuals, most of the big names in the community joined that place. Too bad it died down a couple of years later, due to lack of interest of the Mario Brothers themselves.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100801045422//wolfers.greatboard.com/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:50 am