Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

2 posters

A brilliant alternative to Automap

A brilliant alternative to Automap Empty A brilliant alternative to Automap

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:07 am

So after concluding that Automap is a terrible idea, I came up with a nice idea instead.

Imagine this: you're running through the map, and you find a blank piece of paper on the ground. Then, you find a pencil. Now you can press Tab and draw on the blank paper with the pencil, and plot the map yourself as you're playing. Each time you take the paper out of your backpack or pocket it could get more wrinkly and if you're low on health it can drop blood on it or leave chicken stains when you eat so the paper will progressively get harder and harder to see and write on, but if you find another paper it will switch to a new blank paper to write on instead. Maybe sometimes the pencil can accidentally pierce a hole through it, maybe some papers you find will have a dead bug on them or more moss covered or yellow on slimy levels or something too. So many possibilities. Not only can you use the paper to draw the map you're on while walking through it, you can also use the pencil to write useful things on the paper like "That Mutant behind the pushwall is an ASSHOLE!". Would be cool if it had a save to bmp feature too (maybe when the level ends or when you get a new paper) so you can upload your interpretations of the maps and stuff to the internet and everyone can see what other people drew while going through wolf3d maps.

It can be called "Manualmap" instead of automap (like how there's automobiles called Manual where you switch the gears yourself instead of Automatic). Post some more ideas for quirks it should have here if you have any.  Smile
    giftmacher
    giftmacher
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

A brilliant alternative to Automap Empty Re: A brilliant alternative to Automap

Post by giftmacher Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:38 pm

fuck automap, fuck ecwolf, fuck Blzut3, and fuck Zombie.

You don't like ecwolf. I presume?
    AryanWolf3D
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2020-02-26

Post by AryanWolf3D Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Last edited by AryanWolf3D on Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:06 am

giftmacher wrote:fuck automap, fuck ecwolf, fuck Blzut3, and fuck Zombie.

You don't like ecwolf. I presume?

I heard that Adam Biser isn't 100% supportive of Blzut3's life choices either. Adam Biser shall be my new best friend! (unless he likes WASD, then I suppose he can join them in hell Twisted Evil )

And I never knew that MCS had a crush on giftmacher. This will make Atina happy. flower

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 am