Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

Problem editing Episode 4 Level 10

Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 191
    Hobbie : Wolfenstein 3D, Final Fantasy and Sokoban
    Registration date : 2010-08-03

Problem editing Episode 4 Level 10 Empty Problem editing Episode 4 Level 10

Post by Asa Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:11 am

I have been playing around with Havoc's Wolf3D Editor to make some "corrections" to the original maps. I don't know if it was ever fixed, but the exit to the secret level in Episode 1 never worked in the 6-episode version of the game that I have. I edited the map and found it was set as a regular exit, not a secret level exit, so I changed it. That got me to thinking about other levels, such as Episode 2 Level 8. That was a fun one to edit. I fixed the maze so all secret doors were accessible. There were four places where a secret door was blocked by another secret door when you pushed it, so I corrected that. Then I got to Episode 4 Level 10. I noticed the path that was laid out by the walls with blood on them, and decided to see if I could make the path more visible by adding some more walls with blood. According to the editor, the map is changed, but according to the game it is not. I have triple checked to make sure that I am editing the same maps that I am playing with the game, so I know they're the correct maps. I have attempted to change this map multiple times, and the editor always shows the map changed, but the game shows it being the way it always was. Does anyone here have any clue why the game refuses to see the edited map?

If anyone is curious, I am documenting the changes I am making. And for the record, I will NOT be sharing the modded map files. I will share what I did in terms of explanation, but if you want to change the maps in your game you'll have to do it yourself.

Problem editing Episode 4 Level 10 Empty Re: Problem editing Episode 4 Level 10

Post by Guest Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:51 am

Hi Asa,

Not sure if you knew, but the E1L10 secret elevator was fixed in wolf3d v1.2. There is a patch to update from v1.1 to v1.2 here:

Explanation: https://www.pcorner.com/list/GAMES/W6PATCH.ZIP/INFO/
    Download: http://cd.textfiles.com/megmonster/GAMES_NZ/W6PATCH.ZIP

It's cool that you noticed all the "dead end" passages in the E2L8 maze and fixed them as well. Cool

Do you have a screenshot of the changes you made to E4L10? I could probably try making the same modifications to E4L10 to see if the changes stick for me.
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:50 am

Hi Princess Peach,

When I read your post my memory was jogged. I remember reading about that patch, but never found it to download it. If all it does is set the secret level elevator in Episode 1 Level 1, then I don't need it. I already fixed it myself. LOL

I didn't take a screenshot of E4L10, but I will. I will take a pic of the level in the editor as edited and in the game as it appears there. All I really did is set the wall block across from the ones with blood to also be ones with blood, but the game never renders them that way.

Here are the pics. The first one is the edited level, the other two are the first two locations of the path where the changes should be evident, but aren't.

Problem editing Episode 4 Level 10 E4L10Edit

Problem editing Episode 4 Level 10 E4L10Game1

Problem editing Episode 4 Level 10 E4L10Game2

Last edited by Asa on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add images)

Post by Guest Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi Wolf3DGuy,

Now I feel really stupid. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess this verifies that the saved-game data includes the map of the level you are on. OK, well, that answers my question for sure. Thanks.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:14 pm

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male

Post by Asa Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:52 pm

If anyone is interested, here is a page documenting the changes I made to E2L8:

E2L8 made complete-able

I replaced the video with 2 videos. The first is the maze the way it is laid out, using the v1.1 files. The second is the modified map using the v1.4 files. I believe this will better explain the maze and the changes I made to it, as well as documenting the removal of the Apogee sign in v1.4. I revised what walls I used to depict the secret doors so it would be more obvious which wall type indicates which path.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:24 am