Here's something I threw together over the past week. Essentially, my first mod the way I always wanted it to be. If anybody remembers Abandon, it definitely had a lot of shortcomings, including a nonsensical storyline in horribly written English, a confusing mixture of sprites and a poor sense of guard placement and differences in difficulty.
Abandon 2020 fixes all that. And what are the contents?
* 60 seamless levels (50 originals and 10 of the 11 levels from Abandon v0.0 - omitted from the 2020 version is E2M2)
* Increased ammo rate (500 - should come in handy)
* More variation in ceiling colors and a new music order
* A handful of the "new" sprites I tacked on near the end of the mod's making are there; but it is more or less a "deluxe" map set of sorts, very much in style with original Wolf3D
* A rock-solid Wolf4SDL EXE thanks to AlumiuN
For this project I have made no new levels. All levels originally appeared in Abandon or Abandon v0.0, though I have had my hands on all of the levels. None of the levels had proper floor code placement, and almost all of them had guard placement and variation that left a lot to be desired. The odd wall may look out of place... Some guards may still be put in awkward positions... But bear in mind this was my very first effort, I was 13 when I made this and had no experience, knowledge (or the balls to ask for either of this back then) of editors and the Wolfenstein 3D engine. I just wanted to make maps and have fun.
I hope people get a kick out of this, at least I feel quite satisfied in that most levels are now playable and fair in terms of difficulty - ammo and health pickups were severely lacking when it was originally released. The reasons why the mod turned out like it did is explained in the attached Read Me file. To me this project was more therapeutic than it was something I felt had to be done, it all started when I wanted to check out just how bad the floor code placement was and then it just started to unravel. I had to fix the whole damn thing... So if the player has that in mind, then I think it will be a worthwhile experience to play.
Hope you enjoy it!