Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

2 posters

A coding question.

Dakota Hedgepeth
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male
    Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 2014-10-22

A coding question. Empty A coding question.

Post by Dakota Hedgepeth Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:36 am

Hey it's Dakota here, and I do have something on my mind. How was Macenstein 3D all encounters made on Windows? This interests me because the all three encounters were on Mac and I just like to know how was it possible? It's just so interesting.
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

A coding question. Empty Re: A coding question.

Post by Andy Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks for your interest!

First off, this was a project that was developed over several years:

Mac-enstein 3D                                            released  03-05-07
    Mac-enstein Second Encounter                released  06-01-07
    Triumph of the Will                                       released  08-30-07
    Mac-enstein Second Encounter SDL       released  06-07-08
    Mac-enstein First Encounter SDL 2          released  11-20-10
    Mac-enstein Second Encounter SDL 2    released  12-15-10
    Mac-enstein Third Encounter SDL 2        released  02-01-12

The first 3 releases were DOS / Borland projects, the last 4 used the Wolf4SDL engine by Ripper. The SDL 2 ones added AlumiuN's Advanced Sound Manager code to allow use of OGG files of the actual Mac Wolfenstein music. Every project built upon the previous one.

Each release has a detailed text file with it that has many credits, tools used, tutorials used, other coding details, and some other goodies, none of which I will rehash here.

I'm not a programmer, so this was stitched together using existing tutorials, help from fellow wolfers, and lots of trial and error. The first SDL version was made during Wolf4SDL development, so Ripper was an active, helpful beta tester, and added some functionality to the Wolf4SDL source code to accomodate Mac-enstein, such as the size 20 screen.

Emulating the Mac with Basilisk II so the Mac Wolfenstein game could be played for comparison and for recording the sounds and music, and for running WolfEdit to examine the maps was really the key to making the project happen. The rest was really just regular Wolf3d modding.
    Dakota Hedgepeth
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male
    Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 2014-10-22

Post by Dakota Hedgepeth Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Wow, that's a great history of how Mac-enstein was created, maybe one day I could make games based on the Mac formula, maybe even including textured floors/ceilings, multiplayer, and even add new weapons and much more. I'm actually inspired by this and probably might use Wolf4SDL to make the total conversions and later on port it to Dreamcast and Windows. Thank you for inspiring me. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:43 pm