Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

5 posters

Preserving color palette

RSImage
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2014-07-09

Preserving color palette Empty Preserving color palette

Post by RSImage Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:45 am

How do you guys manage to keep your color palettes consistent when editing images? Back in the day MS Paint (Win98) would preserve the palette perfectly but now it changes it a bit when I save, and import into ChaosEdit. It doesn't scramble it totally but it degrades the quality. I'm saving as 256-color bitmap, same as before.
    Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2012-11-01

Preserving color palette Empty Re: Preserving color palette

Post by Mega Luigi Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:14 am

I faced that problem too, as I also used to use paint for such things. Usually, I use PhotoImpact, which is quite powerful and preserves the original palette. I also tried to use GIMP some days ago, and it didn't preserve the palette, but if you save with GIMP, copy and paste it in a image with the correct (original palette), it works nicely without losing any quality.

Edit: I just saw your other post. So are you Zach Higgins? Either way, it's good to have people coming back  Cool
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by doomjedi Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 am

That's why I use old MS-Paint, WinXP.
    RSImage
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by RSImage Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:15 pm

Mega Luigi wrote:I faced that problem too, as I also used to use paint for such things. Usually, I use PhotoImpact, which is quite powerful and preserves the original palette. I also tried to use GIMP some days ago, and it didn't preserve the palette, but if you save with GIMP, copy and paste it in a image with the correct (original palette), it works nicely without losing any quality.

Edit: I just saw your other post. So are you Zach Higgins? Either way, it's good to have people coming back  Cool
    Ya it's me! I'd like to try to finish Project Vertilgung and try out an idea I have for a new mod.

doomjedi wrote:That's why I use old MS-Paint, WinXP.
    You know, turns out W7 paint works, you just have to save it as '24-bit bitmap' as counter-intuitive as that may sound.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:59 pm

I think most people who made mods between 2003 and 2006 owe Zach a humongous THANK YOU 'cause sooo much of his stuff was used. That SA guard is genius. So good with authentic Nazis. I used it recently too.
    RSImage
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by RSImage Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:43 am

Thomas wrote:I think most people who made mods between 2003 and 2006 owe Zach a humongous THANK YOU 'cause sooo much of his stuff was used. That SA guard is genius. So good with authentic Nazis. I used it recently too.

Man not at all, but thank you. Just some re-coloring jobs mostly. Think I was mostly inspired by Project Totengraeber and Spear Resurrection at the time. But I really appreciate it. Did you say you've come out with something recently?

You know I realized that at the time I made that mod I was really into the idea of infusing realism into Wolf, and I think I even failed to truly appreciate Adrian Carmack/id software's brilliance in their original idea -- something slightly fantastical, more evocative than literal. I think they had a super good idea and it makes the game enjoyable to exist in for a longer period of time I think.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:50 am

RSImage wrote:
    Thomas wrote:I think most people who made mods between 2003 and 2006 owe Zach a humongous THANK YOU 'cause sooo much of his stuff was used. That SA guard is genius. So good with authentic Nazis. I used it recently too.

Man not at all, but thank you. Just some re-coloring jobs mostly. Think I was mostly inspired by Project Totengraeber and Spear Resurrection at the time. But I really appreciate it. Did you say you've come out with something recently?

You know I realized that at the time I made that mod I was really into the idea of infusing realism into Wolf, and I think I even failed to truly appreciate Adrian Carmack/id software's brilliance in their original idea -- something slightly fantastical, more evocative than literal. I think they had a super good idea and it makes the game enjoyable to exist in for a longer period of time I think.
    I've used the SA guard plenty... The "recent" project sadly never materialized, but whenever I get the chance of working with someone willing to add new enemies, it's usually on top of the list.

And where on earth did Vertilgung level 6 come from? Truly one of the most memorable trick levels outside the AReyeP/MCS universe.
    RSImage
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by RSImage Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:39 am

I don't know honestly. Ha, I really go for trying to give players a sensation -- something they don't necessarily expect, or something really interesting. That's cool you liked it, I'm happy to hear.

I'm planning on doing some more levels for PV, like finish phase 2 or whatever. If you played it a bit, I'm curious what were some elements you did or didn't like? You can go as in depth as you like, can even send it to my inbox if you prefer, but I'd like to have some opinions for where to go next.

Someone mentioned to me that a few of the weapons were underpowered, which I agree with, after going back, I don't understand why we chose to make the pistol in particular so weak.

Oh here's an idea for a new character (if not already done): A 'dress occasion' Nazi. Like for some floor where there's a big celebratory dinner going on (to celebrate the big project that BJ is about to blow to smithereens lol). Of course the original Nazi officer is nearly there, but this would be like all black and white, with gold accents or something Wink
    Mega Luigi
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2012-11-01

Post by Mega Luigi Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:50 am

RSImage wrote:I don't know honestly. Ha, I really go for trying to give players a sensation -- something they don't necessarily expect, or something really interesting. That's cool you liked it, I'm happy to hear.

I'm planning on doing some more levels for PV, like finish phase 2 or whatever. If you played it a bit, I'm curious what were some elements you did or didn't like? You can go as in depth as you like, can even send it to my inbox if you prefer, but I'd like to have some opinions for where to go next.

Someone mentioned to me that a few of the weapons were underpowered, which I agree with, after going back, I don't understand why we chose to make the pistol in particular so weak.

Oh here's an idea for a new character (if not already done): A 'dress occasion' Nazi. Like for some floor where there's a big celebratory dinner going on (to celebrate the big project that BJ is about to blow to smithereens lol). Of course the original Nazi officer is nearly there, but this would be like all black and white, with gold accents or something Wink

It's nice that you decided to work on it again. I have to say that even being unfinished, I always considered PV one of the best games from that time. It had a different atmosphere.

Anyway, you said something about underpowered weapons, but I remember killing that Schabbs-like boss with a single rifle shot. (hopefully I'm not confusing some other game with PV). I wonder if it was meant to be like that, but other than that it's cool  Cool
    RSImage
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Post by RSImage Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Mega Luigi wrote:Anyway, you said something about underpowered weapons, but I remember killing that Schabbs-like boss with a single rifle shot. (hopefully I'm not confusing some other game with PV). I wonder if it was meant to be like that, but other than that it's cool  Cool
    You know I honestly do not remember. It might have been some hair-brained concept of mixing up expectations or just an accidental byproduct of less-than-polished gameplay, haha. I really wish now I would have cleaned it all up a lot better. And I still may do that honestly. I think that would be personally gratifying and give anyone interested in re-visiting something a little cleaner. But we'll see. Thanks for the kind words. Smile
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Zach, save the sprites as 24-bit Bitmap NOT 256-color Bitmap.

Schabbs-like boss killed with a single rifle shot, Luigi? Wow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 am