Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+3
Andy
AlumiuN
stathmk
7 posters

Coming of the Storm Windows 7 64-bit problem?

aberk81
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2014-02-17

Coming of the Storm Windows 7 64-bit problem? Empty Coming of the Storm Windows 7 64-bit problem?

Post by aberk81 Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:45 am

Hello. I'm new to this website. When i play Coming of the Storm on Windows 7 64 Bit and DOSBOX. I was middle of Level 1 (The Lost Forest) After few minutes of play playing level 1. The game froze up and i get a strange error message saying in a DOS big font. It says Drive error C:\cstorm. What i'm doing wrong? Did it also happen to you when you are playing Project Toten Eisen Ritter on Windows 7 64-bit? So how you fix it? Do you have to play on Windows XP and so it will be fixed? Please leave you answers below! Thanks!
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1780
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Coming of the Storm Windows 7 64-bit problem? Empty Re: Coming of The Storm

Post by stathmk Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:33 pm

Sorry.  I've heard of Coming of The Storm and seen it on Youtube.  I don't have Windows 7.

The only thing that I think I can tell you is that there's another forum where you can ask about this: http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/  But they block Yahoo and Netscape email addresses.  I can't remember if it's Dean or Andy on these forums that you can ask if he'll let you in http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/ if you have an email address like that.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum!
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Coming of the Storm Windows 7 64-bit problem? Empty Re: Coming of the Storm Windows 7 64-bit problem?

Post by WolferCooker Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Have you tried increasing the CPU cycles of DosBox? It makes the game run much smoother thus eliminating that problem.
    aberk81
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Coming of the Storm Windows 7 64-bit problem? Empty Re: Coming of the Storm Windows 7 64-bit problem?

Post by aberk81 Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Just asking. Does Coming of the storm or Project Eisenritter have goobers debug cheats?
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:43 pm

No. WSJ disabled all cheats on all his mods.
    aberk81
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by aberk81 Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:21 pm

OK just making sure. Well I tried increased CPU cycles of DosBox. But the game froze up without saying
    Drive error C:\cstorm. What i'm still doing wrong?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi Willard!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Tue May 27, 2014 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    aberk81
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by aberk81 Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Are you talking the weather or the mod? And how you unfroze it?
    AlumiuN
    AlumiuN
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Number of posts : 52
    Registration date : 2013-08-31

Post by AlumiuN Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Could you post your dosbox.conf (somewhere like Pastebin would work)? Something there might be causing an issue.
    aberk81
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by aberk81 Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:24 am

What is dosbox.conf?
    AlumiuN
    AlumiuN
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Post by AlumiuN Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:25 pm

It's DOSBox's configuration file, that tells it what sort of hardware to emulate and various other settings. You can find it by going to DOSBox > Extras in the Start Menu and selecting DOSBox Options.
    aberk81
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by aberk81 Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 am

Here it is

http://www.mediafire.com/download/stasvefaiu2k1ls/dosbox-0.74.conf
    AlumiuN
    AlumiuN
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Post by AlumiuN Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:46 pm

OK, nothing looks wrong in there. I'm afraid I have no idea why it's crashing Sad
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:01 pm

Does this happen with other Wolf3d mods? Wolf3d shareware? Other games played in Dosbox?

If yes, you may have better luck getting answers at a Dosbox forum.

Wild guess: it sounds like the game is somehow "losing" its hard drive location while you are playing.

Hope this helps,
    Andy
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Now that I think about it Aberk, I USED to have that SAME problem myself years ago. I have a hunch you are using an older version of DOSBox. I would assume 0.72. 0.72 is VERY BUGGY and nothing can be done to fix that problem.

If this is the case, I recommend you getting the 0.74 version or higher as those kind of bugs are fixed. The only thing I hate about 0.73 and above is that the game music quality goes down the toilet, but it's a small price to pay compared to a bugged emulator.

Nevertheless, I got 1 option that will at the very least GUARANTEE mods to run smooth rather than choppy. Choppiness could cause DOS mods to crash as well.

OPTION 1:

- Open up Coming of The Storm and then quit, but DO NOT CLOSE THE DOSBOX WINDOW.

- In the blank screen below the thank you message, type in this message all in lowercase and no spacing and then hit Enter:

core=dynamic

- Repeat the step again, but type in this message instead:

cycles=max

- Now type in the name of the .EXE (usually for 66% of the mods, it is Wolf3d, but for Coming of The Storm it is CSTORM). Then you're back to the game.
    aberk81
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by aberk81 Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Well i do have DOSBOX 0.74. When i first time playing this mod. I increased CPU cycles. Even i played on DOSBOX 0.74. But when i am middle of Level 1. The mod crashes for no reason and it can have saying Drive error C:\cstorm and without saying it
    aberk81
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by aberk81 Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Andy wrote:Does this happen with other Wolf3d mods? Wolf3d shareware? Other games played in Dosbox?

If yes, you may have better luck getting answers at a Dosbox forum.

Wild guess: it sounds like the game is somehow "losing" its hard drive location while you are playing.

Hope this helps,
    Andy

It never happen to me when I play Project Toten Eisen Ritter. But i think it happen to me when i play Project Eisenritter and Castle Totenkopf DOS
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Hmmm.... then I guess WSJ's older mods are a little bugged. But still.. why you're still having trouble intrigues me.
    aberk81
    Freshmen
    Freshmen

Post by aberk81 Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 am

Now I never have problems playing Coming of the Storm. Thank you for tell me how to fix Coming of the Storm. But I'm saying my story of first time playing Coming of the Storm. So here it goes. When i first time playing this mod. I increased CPU cycles. Even i played on DOSBOX 0.74. But when i am middle of Level 1. The mod crashes for no reason and it can have saying Drive error C:\cstorm and without saying it.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:37 am

Chokster37 wrote:It's a feature. The storm is very cold so when it comes the game will freeze.  silent
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 pm

That's a good one
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:23 am

LOL. Wrong thread Hack, but i'm curious as to know how confined the game screen would be in an air vent for Trail of Schabbs.
    WLHack

Male
    Number of posts : 800
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by WLHack Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:57 am

WolferCooker wrote:LOL. Wrong thread Hack, but i'm curious as to know how confined the game screen would be in an air vent for Trail of Schabbs.
    Sorry, opened the wrong thread... Well, I post screenshot/video for the next update.

Hammer: I can see it now: you and the moon - wear a necktie so I'll know you.
    Building a new webpage...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 pm