Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

5 posters

Schabbs 2000 SDL Released

Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Schabbs 2000 SDL Released Empty Schabbs 2000 SDL Released

Post by Schabbs Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Schabbs 2000 SDL Released
    Gary Ragland's 'Schabbs 2000' has been converted to SDL by MCS Amsterdam. There are 50 seamless levels, split into several distinct units. (Each unit has a different theme and objective). Mostly modified graphics, with good varied layouts. A classic. Available here. Vista/Windows 7-compatible.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Schabbs 2000 SDL Released Empty Re: Schabbs 2000 SDL Released

Post by WolfForever Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Great, another mod to cross off the list of 'classics needing SDL treatment'! Very Happy

For completion sake might as well develop of Countdown to Disaster 4SDL. If I recall that one might actually be easier to convert than AH or S2000, as I know it has the standard GAMEMAPS, MAPHEAD, etc. files instead of all the different names.

Spoiler:
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Forever, it's up to AReyeP and MCS to do that.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi Leslie!

Last edited by Chokster37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 pm

new30 (which is kinda mediocre anyways) and Episode 4 have only new map files. They can be run with standard Wolf4SDL. No conversion is needed.

Alongside Gary's masterpieces it's perhaps next time to get Barry Christian's work over (primarily Armageddon and TRTN). I doubt he's working on Wolfenstein Forever anymore. Sad

But regardless it was about time these two timeless late 90's classics (AH and S2000) got the SDL treatment and it's two marks off the list of 'classics that still require DOSBox'.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:40 pm

So glad to see it's finally out! MCS sent me a draft EXE back in 2010 and I've tested it oodles of times since then. The striped ceiling was always an issue, but I think he and Andy worked things out together.

I hope that more people now will play this game and see the greatness within the mapping. We got lots of new original aspects but still an ever-blooming respect from Gary to the original maps. It really makes it...
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:31 am

I very highly hope this criticism is not offensive to Thomas, but mappers like Gary do remind me of one niggling complaint I do have with SOME (definitely at all) of Thomas' levels: Mods with several large maps that use predominately just one texture type. For example, the first three levels of Time to Kill. If I recall authors like Gary did this much less, and only when it seemed tasteful (as here and there is appropriate). And there are definitely maps of yours that do NOT suffer from this; I've just seen a higher ratio in some of the mods compared to AH and S2000 for instance.
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 am

WolfForever wrote:For completion sake might as well develop of Countdown to Disaster 4SDL. If I recall that one might actually be easier to convert than AH or S2000, as I know it has the standard GAMEMAPS, MAPHEAD, etc. files instead of all the different names.
    CTD SDL is on my to-do list (to convert another mod that used its EXE).

WolfForever wrote:Alongside Gary's masterpieces it's perhaps next time to get Barry Christian's work over (primarily Armageddon and TRTN). I doubt he's working on Wolfenstein Forever anymore. Sad
    Barry is working on Wolfenstein Forever:
    Wolfenstein Forever is finished except for guard placement on a few levels so I should be getting that one out before long as well.
    I've already committed to converting Barry's mods (link), but have hit a bit of a bottleneck. If you're wiling to help out a bit, WolfForever, they may get out sooner. I'll PM you the details! silent

Andy
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:03 am

WolfForever wrote:Mods with several large maps that use predominately just one texture type.
    WHAT?! I feel that with Schabbs 2000, one level can take you thru thousands of different textures. Are you kidding me? Just look at the opening level. We have gray stone with slime, brown stone, the new gray weave-kind of thing, blue panels, the whole shebang. I do not recognize the critique of Gary here, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Personally I use one texture because I like unity, and that was introduced to me via AReyeP. If I had his designing skills/flair as well, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:17 am

Thomas wrote:
    WolfForever wrote:Mods with several large maps that use predominately just one texture type.
    WHAT?! I feel that with Schabbs 2000, one level can take you thru thousands of different textures. Are you kidding me? Just look at the opening level. We have gray stone with slime, brown stone, the new gray weave-kind of thing, blue panels, the whole shebang. I do not recognize the critique of Gary here, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Personally I use one texture because I like unity, and that was introduced to me via AReyeP. If I had his designing skills/flair as well, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

No the texture unity is a critique of some of your maps, not of Gary's maps. That's why I said I hope you don't take offense.

Also to Andy where is the Wolfenstein Forever thread?, I missed it somehow. Also although I'll be rather busy the next couple of months please specify what I can help with.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Oh, well, I just thought this being a topic on Schabbs 2000, we'd talk about that, but you'd rather take my body of work and criticize it for no reason whatsoever in your usual shit-nitpicking manner. Beautiful...
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:45 pm

You say you ask for conductive criticism, yet when I give what I feel is some you rip me apart?

Then I'll just say that 90 percent or more of the time, I do enjoy what you make. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:39 am