Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

2 posters

Any way to fix bad movement in Dos Box?

3D_game
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male
    Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2010-03-11

Any way to fix bad movement in Dos Box? Empty Any way to fix bad movement in Dos Box?

Post by 3D_game Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:14 pm

I'm trying to record a custom level in DOS Box. I made it originally for older computers which didn't require this program to run. But there are some pushwalls that must move back 3 spaces to work properly (there may be prizes behind the second space). It sometimes goes back three spaces, but since I'm recording, I don't want to save first or hope it will work when it doesn't work.

There's also a problem in E3M09, the Adolf Hitler level. The fireballs that the ghosts make move almost as fast as I can! On the older computers, the fireballs move very slowly; so slowly that I laugh at them. I remember watching a Youtube video that explained why this happened, but I can't remember how it works. It's probably out of my watch history anyway.

One last problem. The demo makes the gameplay less smooth. This happens all the time in DOS Box. Is there a way to fix it without slowing down the game?

Thank you!
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Any way to fix bad movement in Dos Box? Empty Re: Any way to fix bad movement in Dos Box?

Post by Andy Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:14 pm

If your custom levels are running with an unaltered EXE, try using Wolf4SDL instead. No DosBox needed anymore.

You can get vanilla EXEs from the ChaosEdit software site, but they will have 2-space pushwall movement.

Here's my latest Wolf4SDL EXE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7126339/Wolf4SDL1.7e_exe.zip

Just add all the .WL6 files to this and you're good to go. This will run native to Windows 98/XP/Vista/7, and will not run in DosBox.

Just don't ask me how to make a video... Embarassed

Can't wait to see your custom levels. Will you release them for us to play too?

Hope this helps,
    Andy

Last edited by Andy on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated link)
    3D_game
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male
    Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2010-03-11

Any way to fix bad movement in Dos Box? Empty Re: Any way to fix bad movement in Dos Box?

Post by 3D_game Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm working on a lot of different level packs. One of the five is an altered .exe file. I don't plan on releasing them, due to the fact that I have taken several years to get about 40 maps in. That means if I ever finish, I still need about 260 more maps to make. And at that rate, people my age now may not know what Wolfenstein 3d is! I haven't even played the 1980s Wolfenstein before.

I've already made some levels for an alternative Rise of the Triad. You can see them on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KKHQv7ceg Map E1A1.
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:14 am

If you're altering EXE files, you can force three-space pushwall movement by changing the following in WL_ACT1.C:

In MovePWalls, change the 256 to 384:
    Code:
            //
            // see if it should be pushed farther
            //
            if (pwallstate>=384)           
            {
                //
                // the block has been pushed two tiles

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am