Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll)

Poll

Which of these PC platformer games have you played (at least enough to make a judgement on) and liked?

[ 0 ]
    PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll) Bar_left0%PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll) Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll) Bar_left7%PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll) Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll) Bar_left7%PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll) Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 0 ]
    PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll) Bar_left0%PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll) Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 14
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll) Empty PC Platformers you've played/enjoyed, mainly shooting/action based (v2.0 of poll)

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Since the first post of the poll was woefully incomplete and didn't really represent everything it should as a result, I decided to just repost this completely. The following changes have been made:

-Added blatant misses that fit into the category - most were added with a moderator edit, but I threw a few others in too.
    -Decided to break the buck a bit and throw in a half dozen or so puzzle/RPG-based ones near the bottom as a bonus.
    -Revoting/changing votes is allowed.

A moderate may feel free to delete the old thread if they want.

Again, the criterion to vote is liked (and played enough of that you can be confident you liked it). Vote for all that apply! Smile

I will also repeat my thoughts for the ones I have COMPLETELY played (this is direct copy-paste from the old thread):

Keen 4-6: Way better than the first three Keen's. The first three always
    frustrated me (and thus I didn't finish them) in that ANY hit kills you
    and you cannot save in a level. In 4-6 you can save anywhere in a level
    which IMO is a necessity if you can't afford even a single hit. Of
    course the games themselves are good (this is ID Software, no less!).

Duke
    Nukem II: Sometimes the difficulty oscilated rather wildly from level
    to level and a few are frustrating, but this is a true PC platformer
    with no signs of being a console wanna-be at all. Each level sticks to
    one of many themes present in the game, but there are plenty of
    different themes. One of my favorites.

Jazz Jackrabbit: Lots and
    lots of levels (including the holiday ones!) and inspired by Sonic but I
    never considered it a straight ripoff. The change in scenario every two
    levels was enough to prevent repetition for me. Very fast paced, has
    some hints of a console wanna-be but I feel Epic did very good with
    this. I think I played Jazz 2 at some point, but don't remember it as
    well.

Hocus Pocus: Always liked this a lot, even if I'm not sure
    why. It is extremely cartoonish, that's for sure. Another game where the
    graphical theme changes every two levels. Underrated IMO, as I don't
    see mention of it very often at all.

Jill of the Junge, Part 3 -
    Jill Saves the Prince: It somehow is a lot more popular than the next
    one I will list, but I don't know why. I think it is significantly
    inferior. I don't like how if you die, you just respawn with unlimited
    lives, you lose no progress in terms of what you have
    killed/accomplished, and you can save within a level to boot. That just
    wipes out the challenge element. And there was one super-annoying levels
    that was like 100% concentrated with making one good jump after
    another, which was long to boot.

Xargon: Made by the creators of
    Jill, this is my personal candidate for the all-time most overlooked PC
    platformer. I always loved it. The music is really, really good, and
    Epic fixed what took the challenge out of Jill, yet rarely going too far
    and making it frustrating (a few times are understandable). It's a
    whole trilogy with probably at least 40 levels in varying themes. The
    emerald system is a great touch too. It's a game I have few complaints
    with, it has always been one of my favorite PC platformers, I have
    always wondered why it was never more popular, and what's more? It's now
    officially FREE! Get it here: http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Xargon.html

Cosmo's
    Cosmic Adventure Episode 1: Only played the first episode to date. I
    remember it as nothing special, but still delivers the goods well
    enough.

And finally I'm going to mention one more: Duke Nukem I shareware (Episode 1): Very primitive with sound, etc. but I recall it being fun nonetheless and it's not a console wanna-be by any means! I do now have the other two episodes (haven't played them yet).

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:23 pm