Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+3
doomjedi
WolferCooker
ronwolf1705
7 posters

Mapper's hall of fame: The top ten

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Mapper's hall of fame: The top ten Empty Mapper's hall of fame: The top ten

Post by WolfForever Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Regardless of whether they are still active or not, what do you think are the top ten mappers ever (that are not involved with ID or FormGen) for Wolf3D/SoD?

I'm not sure if these are precisely my top ten, but these would all be candidates for me (the ones listed first are almost definite ones however, but otherwise they are listed in no particular order):

1 Areyep (and a nod to MCS when applicable for coding)
    2 WSJ
    3 Chris Chokan (how can I not honor the best level ever?)
    4 Thomas Weiling
    5 & 6 Team Raycast (which is primarily Dean and ronwolf1705 for mapping, so this will count as two of my top ten, though they have both made excellent work not involved in Team Raycast projects - thus they count for non-Raycast works as well. Also similar to MCS doomjedi obviously gets a nod for coding in the Team Raycast mods here too.)
    7 ack
    8 Schabbs (Brian)
    9 Arielus
    10 BJ Rowan

I'd be interested in other people's favorites for sure, especially as I know there's many that didn't get a position in my tentative list!

Last edited by WolfForever on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Mapper's hall of fame: The top ten Empty Re: Mapper's hall of fame: The top ten

Post by Thomas Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:45 pm

For me:

1 - Gary Ragland
    2 - BJ Rowan
    3 - AReyeP
    4 - Brian Lowe
    5 - Ariel

Furthermore, I don't know. Barry Christian, Chris, ack, WSJ, Ron, Dean and Serpens are good candidates here. But where on the pecking order, I don't know. I just enjoy their stuff.

Jack Ryerson has been a huge inspiration on me. As has Tristan van Putten. But mapping geniuses - I don't know.

Ipank7000 shows some great talent. I also dug "Hidden Secret" by Santeri Kiiski, but whatever happened to him or if he made more maps, I don't know.

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Well that's perfectly understandable - choosing only ten to pick is part of the challenge! Smile I might even change my list around as I think further, or am reminded of mappers who somehow escaped my mind.

And @Thomas all the ones you mentioned that weren't in my list are surely candidates IMO. But I just have to think, cause it's challenging for me too - do I pull one out of my list to accommodate a new one, and if so who? I did add one though, because doomjedi is more a coder and I'll just recognize him with a nod similar to how I gave MCS the nod with Areyep. And Chris Chokan also didn't make nearly as many actual maps as the rest - but this just isn't one I can remove because NOTHING would have been the same without him, and I can't exclude the author of the best individual level EVER.

Anyways:

BJ Rowan - Totengraeber's a total classic, Conflict in the Fatherland isn't far behind in mapping, and he's still slowly chugging along with Desperate Measures to boot! Barry Christian and Gary Ragland - I always consider them at the same time, don't know why. But Armageddon and TRTN are the only releases from Barry Christian that I really liked a lot (they are full 60-level sets though), while every Gary Ragland release I know of is either very good or superb, minus maybe a few merely good levels in new30 (his first work ever). Serpens, I played Trilogy + Nocturnal and it was very comparable to your own W.O.L.F., and he has work in the DHW sets right besides yours too. Ipank, pretty good levels in the original style (nothing fancy). Jack Ryerson, I loved Chemical Warfare but he never made anything else - shame! Haven't played anything by Tristian (i.e. The Final Solution) yet, mostly hung up on whether to go with v2.0 or v3.0.

There is no need to list in any order unless you'd like BTW - just a pick ten.
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1252
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by ronwolf1705 Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:43 am

Also similar to MCS doomjedi obviously gets a nod for coding in the Team Raycast mods here too

For the graphics. Coding nods go to: Andy, Havoc, Linuxwolf, Tricob and AlumiuN

1. AReyeP
    2. BJ Rowan
    3. ack
    4. Poet
    5. Dean
    6. Thomas
    7. Arielus
    8. Brian Lowe
    9. Jack Ryerson
    10. Serpens

In no particular order.

Mapper's hall of fame: The top ten MMCS0206
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art

Post by doomjedi Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
    I never did ANY coding for any Wolf3D mod ever. I'm just a spriter. Just a spriter.
    Mapping-wise - so far (from released maps) I can give myself partial credit for one bonus map from "Eisenfaust" - and even that was extensively revisited by Dean so I can only credit to myself the map idea/concept, name, and general areas layout.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:29 am

Did you attempt to try to code, Doom? I did. Didn't work out for me, but it was worth a try.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art

Post by doomjedi Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:52 am

WolferCooker wrote:Did you attempt to try to code, Doom? I did. Didn't work out for me, but it was worth a try.
    I studied coding in school, university, external college courses etc etc...including C, C++, Pascal, Delphi, OOP, Real Time programming....I programmed a bit at Game Maker too Smile I work with PHP managing forums...
    I remember my school end-course project was minesweeper Smile Have it still on my comp, works Smile
    I made some programs and utilities...but I don't like to code, not my thing...

I one time tried to start coding for Wolf3D...installed the source code ok... tried to implement the easiest tutorial - gun bobbing. After failing even that...gave up...lost motivation. So I never coded for Wolf3D.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
    Also similar to MCS doomjedi obviously gets a nod for coding in the Team Raycast mods here too

1. AReyeP
    2. BJ Rowan
    3. ack
    4. Poet
    5. Dean
    6. Thomas
    7. Arielus
    8. Brian Lowe
    9. Jack Ryerson
    10. Serpens

In no particular order.

Poet's not a bad choice, even if for WX3 alone, but I'm sure The Tower would be quite nice as well. He's willing to turn Wolfenstein into something different, in unconventional ways. Wolf-Extra III is unique; I know of no other mod like it at all. I wish it had more than six parts!

I would so include Jack Ryerson if he made more than just Chemical Warfare! It's like he came in, dropped a Christmas present (though it was April when that came out so the saying is figurative per se), then decided to leave right away. And similarly I wish Serpens had done more. He did do some contributions to DHW sets though, in addition to Tril/Noc.

p.s. Somehow I think Level 29 of Chem. Warfare isn't just Jack's work...

And also sorry about my mixup between graphics/sprites and coders. Nonetheless they all are important to a mod...graphics, sprites, coding, maps, you name it. But yes this thread is about mapping primarily, though at the same time it's important not to forget that it's not all that's important (unless you are just making a mapset, of course).
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Schabbs Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Here's mine, in no particular order:

Ronwolf

ack

Martin Krysiak

BJ Rowan

AReyeP

Dean

Thomas

Ariel

Serpens

IPank

Wolf Skevos-Jones

Gary Ragland

That's 12, but I can't narrow it down to 10. Smile

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 pm

Maybe we should also do an "anthology" of these mappers' works. And maybe pick what is their best work as well.

I'm going to try all the ones that have been addressed so far (my top picks in bold), I may have missed some works for certain authors however:

Areyep - Two shareware episodes, Wolfendoom, Spear Resurrection (original plus 10 year), End of Destiny, Contributions to DHW Wolf3D and SoD SDL

WSJ - Castle Totenkopf, Project Eisenritter, Operation: Heimzahlung, Coming of the Storm, Totenkopf SDL

Chris Chokan - Chokage, Melee Episode 6, ATAW3D Level 69

Thomas Weiling - Nazi Operation, ATAW3D (excluding Level 69), Castle Assault, The Bitter End, W.O.L.F., Endlosung, NovoWolf, 10 New Ones, Time to Kill, Spearfishwolfbones, Odds and Ends (covers all his contributions to other mapsets/mods), Thomas' Wolfenstein 3D, The Iron Dream, Guten Tag! Bolded three potential favorites; just too many close calls to pick one and even many non-bolded are definitely incredibly close calls.

Team Raycast (as a whole) - Batman vs. Bane, Eisenfaust Origins

ronwolf1705 (not related to Team Raycast mods) - One level for The Wolf3D Community Map Pack 2007, Contributions to DHW Wolf3D/SoD, Contributions to OMS3, Stealth (for concept), 16x16

Dean (not in Team Raycast mods) - HitlerWorld, Contributions to The Wolf3D Community Map Pack 2007 (I really loved Episode 3 in this!), Escape from Castle Holle, Contributions to DHW Wolf3D/SoD SDL, OMS3 contribution (?, can't recall if he made a map in this)

ack - Acktung!; Archives Volume I and II; Acktung! 2: The Last Waltz; 6.25; The Anticipation; Contributions to: Map Making Mania Melee, DHW Wolf3D/SoD sets, Super Haven Mapset, Alliance of Powers, Orb of Dilaaria, Final Fight, Halls of Stonehenge + HOS:SE

Schabbs: WolfBel series (not all of WolfBel 3); Revival of Memories; Contributions to: Escape from SS Prison, BlakeWolf, Gravestein 3000, Beyond Mutantstein SE, Amazing Grace, DHW Wolf3D/SoD sets, DHW TC, Super Haven Mapset, Deadly Sleep; Probably missed something!

Arielus - One or two shareware Wolf3D sets; Arielus' Wolfenstein 3D; The Golden Episodes; Contributions to: Beyond Mutantstein SE, Map Making Mania Melee, DHW Wolf3D/SoD sets, Alliance of Powers, Deadly Sleep

BJ Rowan: The Renovation, Conflict in the Fatherland, Project: Totengraeber, Desperate Measures (E1+E2 so far)

This covers my ten; I'll probably cover other ones later as well, and feel free let me know if I missed work from an author! Smile (And also definitely interested in personal favorites by author.)
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Okay second post for mappers that have been referenced by someone else:

Gary Ragland - new30, Assassinate Hitler, Schabbs 2000, Episode 4, Countdown to Disaster

Barry Christian - I forget the names of the but his first two sets were Wolf3D/SoD replacement with lots of bosses and not very good. Thereafter: Domination, The Six Depths of Terrorism, Armageddon, The Road to Neushwanstein

Serpens - Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions, The Hunt for Von Hauer, Contributions to DHW Wolf3D/SoD sets

Jack Ryerson - Chemical Warfare (yes, I know has is the best by definition but it really is excellent)

Tristian - The Final Solution (another case where the best is best by definition, and I haven't actually played it)

IPank7000 - IPank's Wolf3D set, 15 Master Levels (in complete tie)

Poet - Wolf-Extra SV, Enemy Around the Corner, Wolf-Extra II, Wolf Hour, The Tower, Wolf-Extra III, Contribution to: Beyond Mutantstein SE
    Martin Krysiak - Zero Hour, The Last Mission, Episode 4 of Map Making Mania Melee

Think that lists them all, I skipped the Operation Hidden Secret mention simply because I liked it but again it's an author with just one release and it's not a very well known one (even if it should be).
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

WolfForever wrote:Thomas Weiling - Nazi Operation, ATAW3D (excluding Level 69), Castle Assault, The Bitter End, W.O.L.F., Endlosung, NovoWolf, 10 New Ones, Time to Kill, Spearfishwolfbones, Odds and Ends (covers all his contributions to other mapsets/mods), Thomas' Wolfenstein 3D, The Iron Dream, Guten Tag!
    Whoa, back up there, big fella! I've done way more than that:

Abandon
    Operation Achtliebe
    Project Wolfgeist
    Abandon 2: Purgatory!
    Secrets of Offenbach
    Nazi Operation Demo
    Nazi Operation
    All This & Wolf 3D Demo
    All This & Wolf 3D
    Castle Assault
    Quest for the General
    The Bitter End
    W.O.L.F.
    Endlösung
    NovoWolf
    10 New Ones
    Spearfishwolfbones
    Time to Kill
    Odds and Ends
    Thomas' Wolfenstein 3D
    The Iron Dream
    Guten Tag!

Unfinished business:

Abandon v0.0
    Schabbs 7000
    All This & Wolf 3D (40 level version)
    Wolfram
    Overkill

BS aside, here are my picks:

GARY RAGLAND: Schabbs 2000, Assassinate Hitler and Episode 4. Haven't played Countdown to Disaster but will SOON and having browsed through it a couple of times I think I'm going to enjoy it.

BJ ROWAN: Totengraeber and Conflict in the Fatherland.

AReyeP: Spear Resurrection and EoD.

BRIAN LOWE: The Wolfbel series and Revival of Memories - as well as his contribution to Deadly Sleep. (I was just about to write "Golden Sleep", wtf)

ARIEL: The Golden Episodes as well as his contribution to both GOLDEN SLEEP (lol) as well as Alliance of Powers.

BARRY CHRISTIAN: Armageddon and The Road to Neuschenwahnsinnsteinenschwann.

CHRIS: Chokage and Map Making Mania Melee. I'm also very fond of level 69 in All That and Wolf 2D.

ACK: acktung! obviously though I haven't really played it, and Alliance of Powers. Perhaps I should man up and give THE ANTICIPATION a go.

WSJ: With the exception of the original Totenkopf, all his mods.

RON: All mods he participated in.

SERPENS: The Nocturnal Missions and the other one.

JACK: Chemical Warfare, Øfcourse...

The Final Solution, Operation Hidden Secret, Martin's "The Last Mission" is a gem, uh... I have to be honest. I really, really, really love DARK DUNGEON and WOLFENKEN by a guy named KENNY ROELS (CaPs LoCk anyone?) - those were the first three mods I played (because I discovered his site before I discovered the Dome). This Belgian kid with occasional pictures of himself within the mod and ridiculous sounds. The SS went "Schtop, man!" in a pouty voice, the officer mumbled and when he died when "aaaaaarch" as if he was Pingu (you know, the cartoon) and the guards and the sprites were hijacked from TFS and I thought they originated in Wolfenken. Ah... This needs an SDL port! Me and 1 more (Bizarro Thomas) will enjoy that.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 am

Re your releases, I was only including work since you went by Thomas. Also, for any author, I only listed demos if the final product isn't yet completed. Sorry if this offended somehow - certainly not my intent to do so.

Favorites - all good picks IMO and picking multiple is no problem, I know there are a lot of close calls for sure.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:23 am

WolfForever wrote:Re your releases, I was only including work since you went by Thomas.
    I understand that, but would you say that "Richter Belmont"'s first 10-15 whatever-mods don't count as "his" since he went by Kyo Kusanagi then? I think this alias thing is silly. All mods should count, changed name or not.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 am

I see your point but for me the critical difference regards whether the author improved in design quality significantly concurrent with going from name A to name B.

BTW BJ Rowan has released out two episodes of a project after Totengraeber. It's called Desperate Measures. You do need DosBOX but if that runs smoothly on your machine (and you listed a lot of DOS-only games as favorites), then DM should run just fine as there aren't even any enhanced coding features like textured floors, ceilings, etc.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by Thomas Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:26 am

I am well aware of Desperate Measures. I played the first one and was totally psyched to see that the second one had been released, it even contained new sounds and graphics. I will play this ASAP, even if it is in DosBOX, as much as I hate it.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 am

A random thought just occurred to me.

Do you think Gary Ragland's Episode Four is simply intended to be an extension of his new30 set (since they both have nothing new but maps and new30 covered the previous three epusodes)? If you combined them together, would new30 combined with Episode Four as levels 31-40 represent a similar style/standard of mapping (since if this is the case, why not just combine the two and call it new40?), or is one inferior/superior to the other?
    lilmanjs
    lilmanjs
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1143
    Hobbie : playing wolf3d addons like crazy
    Registration date : 2007-04-17

Post by lilmanjs Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 pm

hehe, how does everyone seem to forget about the Team Aardwolf mapset? some great mapping in that set. and in no order are my favorite mappers.
    1. Megabyte
    2. Schabbs
    3. Thomas
    4. WLhack
    5. Ack
    6. BJ Rowan
    7. WSJ
    8. Ariel
    9. Dean
    10. AReyeP

Mapper's hall of fame: The top ten TeamAardwolfV2PNG
    Mapper's hall of fame: The top ten 57046cfmlabelbar
    Mods being worked on:
    The Mutant Uprising, Final Fight 2
    Mod ideas:
    Stargate SG-1 addon, Mega Man addon
    Team Aardwolf Mods:
    The Mutant Uprising, Ghost
    Mods being worked on with other people:
    Return to Castle Hollehammer with Raziel A. (Karharis)
    Award winning mods:
    The Final Fight

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:35 pm