Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+6
Schabbs
Tenamk
jayngo26
Akuul
Valts
Dark_wizzie
10 posters

Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine?

Poll

What's Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine?

[ 5 ]
    Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_left36%Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_right [36%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_left21%Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_right [21%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_left14%Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_right [14%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_left0%Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_left0%Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_left7%Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_left21%Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Bar_right [21%] 

Total Votes: 14
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 385
    Registration date : 2010-09-29

Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Empty Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine?

Post by Per-Scan Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:33 am

So, apart from the mighty W3D and it's sequel what is your favourite Wolf 3D enigine based game? I would have to choose Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold as it's given me a lot of hours of fun and has made me smile more than any other game apart from Doom. ROTT would be a ridiculously close second.

Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Empty Re: Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Blake Stone rocks Smile I did pick Planet Strike over Aliens of Gold. I like the crisp graphics in PS. The morphing is pretty cool too. Still, I am in the midst of puttng together a 90-level map replacement set for AoG and it's a labour of love (did a PS set a few years ago and I really think it might be my best work to date). Testing is driving me crazy, but I love playing the game Smile Will always love ROTT with all of its cool features, but BS/PS gets my vote.
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Empty Re: Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine?

Post by Per-Scan Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Where is your PS set? I'd love to give it a blast! Smile There's just not enough love for good ol' Blake. Nobody seems interested other than ripping the odd sprite or texture...

PS: A few votes but only one poster giving reason to their choice. Shame on you, you closet gamers! Razz

Post by Guest Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:07 pm

Schabb's infamous yellow site has a lot of neat stuff, including the following BS levels...

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~brlowe/blake.htm

BSE24 is my little contribution.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:07 pm

I have a confession... I have not played any of the games in the options for the poll.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Per-Scan Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:07 pm

ack wrote:Schabb's infamous yellow site has a lot of neat stuff, including the following BS levels...

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~brlowe/blake.htm

BSE24 is my little contribution.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to try them out. Smile

Dark_wizzie wrote:I have a confession... I have not played any of the games in the options for the poll.

That is absolutely shocking Mr wizzie! As a punishment you must download the shareware version of each game and complete them all by the weekend. I want a 150 word review on each one for Monday morning! If you do not comply as further punishment you will be forced to play the full version of Operation Body Count all the way through!! Razz
    Valts
    Valts
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 384
    Job : Student (Estonian University of Life Sciences)
    Hobbie : reading, history, poker, billiard and snooker, gaming
    Registration date : 2007-05-16

Post by Valts Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:36 pm

I like Shadowcaster, because Shadowcaster is action-adventure game, balancing combat with puzzles and I like puzzles Smile .
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Per-Scan Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:51 pm

I have to admit that I've never really played Shadowcaster that much. When I first tried to play it years ago I kept having stability issues and it kept on crashing. Kinda put me off. I should go back and give it another shot.
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 491
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post by Akuul Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:32 am

In the list of all the games are good but for me the best "Rise of the Triad"
    Your Favourite Game Based On The W3D Engine? Rott
    Very Happy
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 643
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark
    Hobbie : Staying Out Of Sunlight
    Message : Wolfenstein:Umbrella Beginnings Episode 2 released! Download now!

Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by jayngo26 Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:55 am

I picked Corridor Seven. It was a toss up between that and ROTT.

http://jayngoware.com/
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Per-Scan Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 am

^
    Can't fault you for that choice. ROTT is one fine game. Smile

jayngo26 wrote:I picked Corridor Seven. It was a toss up between that and ROTT.

A slightly surprising choice but the game certainly has a unique feel. Have you tried out the latest jDoom TC? It's really superb. If totally retains the feel but brings it a little up to date.

PS: thanks for the brain cakes! Smile

I also tried out Shadowcaster again. It still crashes for me. Oh well...

Tenamk
    Tenamk
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 303
    Job : Spy
    Hobbie : Kick S.S.'s butt
    Message : Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayWolf3D
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by Tenamk Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:28 am

Only played BSAOG, BSPS and C7
    I picked BSAOG, because of the new concept of informants and damaging barriers, gave me hours of non-stop fun, even with the shareware. BSPS was only a seamless episode with some code changes so it would be my 3rd choice. Finally, C7. That game that had only 1-level shareware gave me tons of fun, just like BSAOG. But, as one level game, it would lack interest and so I chose BSAOG for tons of fun, tons of points, tons of secrets and awesome action. This is my review of 90-ish words.

I won the first forum raffle! cheers

Dark_wizzie's signature: Nobody is perfect, I am nobody. Copier of my siggy will be severely pwned.
    Tenamk says: Oh crap!
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Schabbs Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:16 pm

I voted Rise of the Triad.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:20 pm

I haven't played any of the above either, and I don't know if I can get myself to do it, really. Stuff like this needs to be a certain love of playing and discovering, or to be a part of your childhood. Wolf was like that, and that's why I've always prefered that over SoD.

BUT! That being said, I did play a demo of Blake as a kid, and not knowing what it was it really struck me. Should I ever get into one of those games, that would probably be it. I just need the time to do it in; I know that it works with MapEdit, so that's a good start.

So I picked Blake! Smile
    giftmacher
    giftmacher
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by giftmacher Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:22 pm

Blake Stone AOG all the way! Too bad the number of addons out there is minimal.

That 90-level AOG would make my ultimate Christmas present (no rush though, XMas 2011 will do) Wink
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Per-Scan Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:22 pm

I have to admit I'm surprised with the results so far. I just presumed everyone would pick ROTT as it's way more advanced than the other games from a technical point of view (in some ways more advanced than the mighty DooM!). Just goes to show that game-play really is a big part of the attraction. That and nostalgia of course! I'm glad to see that there's love out there for Blake and pals. Sometimes, I think he's a little neglected... Smile
    giftmacher
    giftmacher
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2007-03-25

Post by giftmacher Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:17 pm

Per-Scan wrote:Just goes to show that game-play really is a big part of the attraction.

Couldn't agree more. One could have the most technically advanced game or mod in the world, without gameplay it's virtually worthless.

As for BSAOG, I've beaten it multiple times on highest difficulty level. ** FUN **
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Post by WolfForever Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Blake Stone: AOG for me. I wish I still had that game on my machine/there were more addons for it.

I've never heard of Blake Stone: PS. Rise of the Triad isn't bad but it's more 3D than Wolfenstein, so I disqualified it. The others on the list aren't very good IMO.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:34 am