Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

Buying Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny

Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 191
    Hobbie : Wolfenstein 3D, Final Fantasy and Sokoban
    Registration date : 2010-08-03

Buying Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny Empty Buying Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny

Post by Asa Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 am

I "purchased" Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny on steam. I did not get copies of those games. What I got was steam installed and desktop shorcuts that are links to some place online. I consider that to be a total ripoff. I don't care that it cost me less than $3, I care that I thought I was buying the games.

I just bought both games on gog. I don't know for sure about the steam version of SoD, but the gog version includes both mission packs. I am having to install gog galaxy to get the games, so I can't say yet if it's going to be like steam or if I'm actually going to get copies of the games on my computer. It is like steam. You don't get physical copies of the games, just links to the games on their site.

I can tell you that getting a link to some obscure place on the internet is not the same thing as possessing a physical copy of a game. Both places are misleading buyers and making false claims. You are not buying the game, you are paying for access to the game.

If this is the 21st century version of buying games, then count me out. That said, if this constitutes valid ownership, then I can ask those who have them to provide me with the physical copies (game files) of the games so I can have them on my computer, since I legally own them. as I have said before, my computers were stolen and I lost all of the software and disks years ago. I decided to purchase these in order to squash any idea that I have the games illegally now since I don't have the originals anymore.

What I don't have is the two mission packs that go with SoD, the Mac version 2nd Encounter game (I used to have all of them, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Encounters, and I recently found that the commercial version is findable on the net). The Mac version games are not available to be purchased anywhere, so the only chance I have of getting 2nd Encounter is for someone who has it to give me a copy. I would also like the 1.0 shareware version for the Mac and the 1.0 -> 1.0.1 patch file so I can get the 1.0.1 shareware version (1st Encounter) back again.

Edit: I have been corrected insofar as GOG is concerned. They do provide a way to download the standalone versions of both games.

Since I have purchased the only legal versions there are to purchase, I don't think I am violating any forum rules by asking for these things. I can provide copies of the verification emails proving my purchases from both steam and gog should anyone require them.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 am