Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

3 posters

JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot

stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1780
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot Empty JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot

Post by stathmk Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:24 pm

50 years ago today, John F Kennedy Sr. was shot and killed.

There will be a 2-hour JFK special in less than 2 hours on NBC on New York time.

I'm typing some info about Kennedy overnight or tomorrow.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot Empty Re: JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:06 pm

I have no idea. I'm not sure my family cared, they weren't in America back then.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot Empty Re: JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot

Post by Thomas Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:30 am

No, they were celebrating it in Communist China! LOL...

Anyway, my cable box has been littered with Kennedy-themed documentaries and movies lately. Some quite interesting. Apparently, it was medication that he needed to take that made him sexually limitless. He laid so many women, that man... All the time... Bodyguards, club owners, personal assistants etc. said hadn't he been assassinated, his image wouldn't have been what it is today... And I suppose it's best kept that way. Politicians are a strange breed.

But Matt: JFK Memories and "Where Were You". This is a Wolf 3D forum. We're all in our twenties (at best!!) and what I remember best about US presidents is back in the good ol' days watching the news with "I did not have sex with that woman" - ZOMG! A president using the word sex! And when he later did confess I remember my dad clapping and going "I knew it! I knew it!" Very Happy Very Happy
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by stathmk Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:57 am

Thomas, that’s fine with me if you posted that.  I actually I asked “Where Was Your Family When JFK Shot?”  I’m not familiar with how politics work in Taiwan and your nation.  I forgotten to mention that JFK was a Democrat and I’m a Republican or Libertarian who votes for The Republican presidential candidates.  I’m told that Kennedy was vastly more popular than Obama.

I didn’t like Bill Clinton either.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by stathmk Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:15 am

I didn’t know that you both would be bored or apathetic about JFK.  If that’s the way you feel, then I think that it’s more appropriate that I’m not as interested anymore in typing as much as I planned about Kennedy on the PT-109, Kennedy as President, Kennedy’s family, Nixon, Castro, Oswald, Ruby, the policeman that Oswald killed, witnesses to Oswald or Ruby who are still alive 50 years later, what my family was doing, that I don’t believe the conspiracies, and also about the political ramifications of all of this.

I need to focus more on wolfensteingoodies.com.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:33 am

Thomas wrote:No, they were celebrating it in Communist China! LOL...

Anyway, my cable box has been littered with Kennedy-themed documentaries and movies lately. Some quite interesting. Apparently, it was medication that he needed to take that made him sexually limitless. He laid so many women, that man... All the time... Bodyguards, club owners, personal assistants etc. said hadn't he been assassinated, his image wouldn't have been what it is today... And I suppose it's best kept that way. Politicians are a strange breed.

But Matt: JFK Memories and "Where Were You". This is a Wolf 3D forum. We're all in our twenties (at best!!) and what I remember best about US presidents is back in the good ol' days watching the news with "I did not have sex with that woman" - ZOMG! A president using the word sex! And when he later did confess I remember my dad clapping and going "I knew it! I knew it!" Very Happy Very Happy
    I'm from Taiwan yo. Basketball 

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot Empty Re: I'm from Taiwan yo.

Post by stathmk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:40 am

When I made my previous post, I felt like I was forgetting something.  I had forgotten to type that Kennedy had his “We choose to put a man on the Moon” speech, Neil Armstrong and one-third to one-half of all of the astronauts are from Purdue University, I went to Purdue University, and Armstrong died in August a year ago.  Maybe that might help explain why I felt like typing about Kennedy.  Technically it was Nixon, not Kennedy, who had a 250,000-mile-long phone call with an astronaut on the Moon.

I’ve been watching a lot of TV about Kennedy and reading a lot about Kennedy recently.

Chiang Kai-Shek, or Sun Yat-Sen, or somebody whom I had heard of in History class at about the same time had Taiwan break off as a capitalist country from The People’s Republic of China, right?  So your parents aren’t from Communist China.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:02 pm

I'm not sure Communist China sees Taiwan as not being part of Communist China... LOL... Seriously, mainland China is one fucked-up place. Everybody's getting a hard-on because of their economy and whatnot, but that's gone in a few decades. The place to concentrate on is Africa - believe it or not.

I'm sure the JFK assassination affected Europe as well but I have no idea how "my nation" (why do you call it that? lol!- sounds like I'm from an alternate universe) would've taken it. All I know about "old" politics in this part of Europe is Sweden's Olof Palme who participated in peace protests and was hated (the feeling was mutual) by the Nixon administration. And I get that. American Republicans have no match in this part of Europe, well, not really at all anywhere in Europe that I can think of. Therefore it's hard to compare politics around the world with the U.S. We have no match for Republicans, no declaration of independence, no "family" values on a political level and all of that business. The only corporations we sell our souls out to is Carlsberg. scared   And with ample reason! Cheers.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:36 am

Thomas wrote:I'm not sure Communist China sees Taiwan as not being part of Communist China... LOL... Seriously, mainland China is one fucked-up place. Everybody's getting a hard-on because of their economy and whatnot, but that's gone in a few decades. The place to concentrate on is Africa - believe it or not.

I'm sure the JFK assassination affected Europe as well but I have no idea how "my nation" (why do you call it that? lol!- sounds like I'm from an alternate universe) would've taken it. All I know about "old" politics in this part of Europe is Sweden's Olof Palme who participated in peace protests and was hated (the feeling was mutual) by the Nixon administration. And I get that. American Republicans have no match in this part of Europe, well, not really at all anywhere in Europe that I can think of. Therefore it's hard to compare politics around the world with the U.S. We have no match for Republicans, no declaration of independence, no "family" values on a political level and all of that business. The only corporations we sell our souls out to is Carlsberg. scared   And with ample reason! Cheers.
    Cake 

stathmk wrote:When I made my previous post, I felt like I was forgetting something.  I had forgotten to type that Kennedy had his “We choose to put a man on the Moon” speech, Neil Armstrong and one-third to one-half of all of the astronauts are from Purdue University, I went to Purdue University, and Armstrong died in August a year ago.  Maybe that might help explain why I felt like typing about Kennedy.  Technically it was Nixon, not Kennedy, who had a 250,000-mile-long phone call with an astronaut on the Moon.

I’ve been watching a lot of TV about Kennedy and reading a lot about Kennedy recently.

Chiang Kai-Shek, or Sun Yat-Sen, or somebody whom I had heard of in History class at about the same time had Taiwan break off as a capitalist country from The People’s Republic of China, right?  So your parents aren’t from Communist China.
    When Newt Gingrich tried to run for office last time in America, he talked about moon colonies and people laughed at him over and over. Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson didn't see that large of a problem with it. When JFK said we're going to put people on the moon, we have no vehicle that can remotely do what he was promising. We've already been to the moon. The rest I think is less ridiculous... given enough funding and enthusiasm.

My teacher was talking about how he thinks JFK wasn't that great... it's just that he was assassinated and before that seemed like a beacon of hope.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by stathmk Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:18 am

You mentioned Dr. Tyson!  Dr. Tyson was the voted the sexiest astrophysicist alive!  My Dad and I saw Dr. Tyson speak at Purdue in September, but I wasn’t the one who filmed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLl6mtY8Is4  He mentioned in the video the European privatized company where you can be on the waiting list to go to Mars!  Gasp!  He didn’t notice or didn’t care to mention that Saudi Arabia is issuing fatwas against anybody signing up to go to Mars.  ***Stunned silence.***

You also mentioned a Moon base!  The largest crater in the solar system is the south pole of The Moon.  It’s believed to be so deep that water ice has never melted there because it’s always in the shadow.  In Science Fiction, there’s a south pole lunar base to drink the water or to break the water into liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen rocket fuel.  Ceres is the largest asteroid not counting the ones past Neptune.  Ceres has enough gravity to hold down water or water ice.  They also use Ceres water in Science Fiction.

Eric, you make a good point and I had forgotten to mention that JFK wasn’t that great.  I would be saying good things about Kennedy and Nixon or saying bad things about both.  My teachers said that the ones who listened to The Kennedy & Nixon debates on the radio thought that Nixon won.  The ones who watched it on television thought that Kennedy won.  Maybe it’s because Nixon was filmed sweaty and had a 5 o’clock shadow.

The Lego rendition of The JFK shooting: http://www.thebricktestament.com/latest_additions/index.html & http://assassinationbook.com/jfk/

You’re no Jack Kennedy, Eric!!! Ha, ha, ha!
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:35 am

stathmk wrote:You mentioned Dr. Tyson!  Dr. Tyson was the voted the sexiest astrophysicist alive!  My Dad and I saw Dr. Tyson speak at Purdue in September, but I wasn’t the one who filmed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLl6mtY8Is4  He mentioned in the video the European privatized company where you can be on the waiting list to go to Mars!  Gasp!  He didn’t notice or didn’t care to mention that Saudi Arabia is issuing fatwas against anybody signing up to go to Mars.  ***Stunned silence.***

You also mentioned a Moon base!  The largest crater in the solar system is the south pole of The Moon.  It’s believed to be so deep that water ice has never melted there because it’s always in the shadow.  In Science Fiction, there’s a south pole lunar base to drink the water or to break the water into liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen rocket fuel.  Ceres is the largest asteroid not counting the ones past Neptune.  Ceres has enough gravity to hold down water or water ice.  They also use Ceres water in Science Fiction.

Eric, you make a good point and I had forgotten to mention that JFK wasn’t that great.  I would be saying good things about Kennedy and Nixon or saying bad things about both.  My teachers said that the ones who listened to The Kennedy & Nixon debates on the radio thought that Nixon won.  The ones who watched it on television thought that Kennedy won.  Maybe it’s because Nixon was filmed sweaty and had a 5 o’clock shadow.

The Lego rendition of The JFK shooting: http://www.thebricktestament.com/latest_additions/index.html & http://assassinationbook.com/jfk/

You’re no Jack Kennedy, Eric!!! Ha, ha, ha!
    Well, the idea with the radio vs TV thing was, while what Nixon said sounded the best in terms of the actual content, the body language and the looks of a person affects our judgement subconciously. IIRC Nixon was a nervous wreck and it shows in body language. Kennedy took the time to put on makeup and get all jazzed up.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:04 pm

The one problem with history is how it is retold by people who weren't there - jmo.  It is easy to villify the evil and saint the godly (or vice versa) often when neither is justified.

Reading stuff like: My teacher was talking about how he thinks JFK wasn't that great... it's just that he was assassinated and before that seemed like a beacon of hope. really saddens me if that is what some teachers say.  Why?  Personally (for what it's worth) I appreciate President Kennedy's handling of the Cuban Missle Crisis.  I realize it is purely conjecture that the result may have prevented a nuclear war, but I can't help but think it greatly reduced the risk.  He is also the only president who had the balls to sign something like Executive Order 11110.  Anyone's greatness is subjective, but I respect President Kennedy more than any of is successors.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:28 pm

What about the Bay of Pigs?

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot Empty Re: ack and Dark_wizzie

Post by stathmk Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:16 pm

ack wrote:The one problem with history is how it is retold by people who weren't there - jmo.  It is easy to villify the evil and saint the godly (or vice versa) often when neither is justified.

Reading stuff like: My teacher was talking about how he thinks JFK wasn't that great... it's just that he was assassinated and before that seemed like a beacon of hope. really saddens me if that is what some teachers say.  Why?  Personally (for what it's worth) I appreciate President Kennedy's handling of the Cuban Missle Crisis.  I realize it is purely conjecture that the result may have prevented a nuclear war, but I can't help but think it greatly reduced the risk.  He is also the only president who had the balls to sign something like Executive Order 11110.  Anyone's greatness is subjective, but I respect President Kennedy more than any of is successors.
    Ack has a point about hope or emotions.  It gets on my nerves a little when somebody says that they vote for somebody like Obama or Kennedy on something vague, misleading, or emotional such as giving them hope.  I think Pathos is thinking with only your emotions instead of logic.  With Pathos, some weird people in 1995 accused groups that didn't even include Timothy McVeigh of causing the Oklahoma City Bombing.  With Pathos, it's almost pointless to ban the death penalty altogether because then men are innocent with a life sentence and strange people will continue to commit crimes to get a life sentence with free food, shelter, clothing, cable, and a weight room.  Pathos makes Christians in Kentucky feel like they have to believe that the Earth is 6,000 to 12,000-years-old if they want to go to Heaven.

Somebody should be thinking critically, instead of emotionally, when voting and thinking things like, “Here are 40 reasons to vote for Kennedy and here are 40 for Nixon.”  Or something like, “Here are 40 reasons to vote for Obama and here are 40 for Romney.”  Over the years, I’ve heard of some strange or superficial single reasons why people vote the way that they do.

This is now about The Bay of Pigs.  Everybody at my university had to take the Speech giving class.  No class was a snorefest, but this one almost came the closest.  Sleep   About 13 years ago in the class, we talked about groupthink.  Groupthink (also called jumping on the bandwagon) is pretty much where people make their decision on popularity instead of doing what’s most appropriate.  The 2 examples hammered into our memory from the class were The Kennedy administration’s jumping into The Bay of Pigs Invasion (Now on wikipedia under Groupthink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink#Bay_of_Pigs_invasion_and_the_Cuban_Missile_Crisis ) and NASA launching Challenger when they shouldn’t have for public relations reasons instead of delaying it for safety reasons.

I should remember to read Eric's Minute Logic Blog and book!
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:35 pm

stathmk wrote:
    ack wrote:The one problem with history is how it is retold by people who weren't there - jmo.  It is easy to villify the evil and saint the godly (or vice versa) often when neither is justified.

Ack has a point about hope or emotions.  It gets on my nerves a little when somebody says that they vote for somebody like Obama or Kennedy on something vague, misleading, or emotional such as giving them hope.  I think Pathos is thinking with only your emotions instead of logic.  With Pathos, some weird people in 1995 accused groups that didn't even include Timothy McVeigh of causing the Oklahoma City Bombing.  With Pathos, it's almost pointless to ban the death penalty altogether because then men are innocent with a life sentence and strange people will continue to commit crimes to get a life sentence with free food, shelter, clothing, cable, and a weight room.  Pathos makes Christians in Kentucky feel like they have to believe that the Earth is 6,000 to 12,000-years-old if they want to go to Heaven.

Somebody should be thinking critically, instead of emotionally, when voting and thinking things like, “Here are 40 reasons to vote for Kennedy and here are 40 for Nixon.”  Or something like, “Here are 40 reasons to vote for Obama and here are 40 for Romney.”  Over the years, I’ve heard of some strange or superficial single reasons why people vote the way that they do.

This is now about The Bay of Pigs.  Everybody at my university had to take the Speech giving class.  No class was a snorefest, but this one almost came the closest.  Sleep   About 13 years ago in the class, we talked about groupthink.  Groupthink (also called jumping on the bandwagon) is pretty much where people make their decision on popularity instead of doing what’s most appropriate.  The 2 examples hammered into our memory from the class were The Kennedy administration’s jumping into The Bay of Pigs Invasion (Now on wikipedia under Groupthink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink#Bay_of_Pigs_invasion_and_the_Cuban_Missile_Crisis ) and NASA launching Challenger when they shouldn’t have for public relations reasons instead of delaying it for safety reasons.

I should remember to read Eric's Minute Logic Blog and book!
    Yes, the particular example of the Bay of Pigs was given in the context of groupthink. According to the teacher, Kennedy basically threw everybody in a room and said, you're not coming out until you find a solution.
    The blog isn't even updated that often right now, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with. The book is still under a lot of revision. If you make the commitment to read it all the way starting some date, I can give you a more recent version.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot Empty Joke from the radio

Post by stathmk Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:41 am

Reading stuff like: My teacher was talking about how he thinks JFK wasn't that great... it's just that he was assassinated and before that seemed like a beacon of hope. really saddens me if that is what some teachers say.  Why?  Personally (for what it's worth) I appreciate President Kennedy's handling of the Cuban Missle Crisis.  I realize it is purely conjecture that the result may have prevented a nuclear war, but I can't help but think it greatly reduced the risk.  He is also the only president WHO HAD THE BALLS to sign something like Executive Order 11110.  Anyone's greatness is subjective, but I respect President Kennedy more than any of is successors.
    He had the balls?  This reminds me that a comedian had a joke on the radio that it takes balls for 2 lesbians to make out in public.  Wait... Which type of balls are we talking about?

I think I also appreciate Kennedy's handling of The Cuban Missile Crisis.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

JFK Memories or Where Was Your Family When JFK Was Shot Empty 55 Years Ago Today

Post by stathmk Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Today, I went to the barbershop.  I said that the Vice Presidential candidates' debate is tonight.  I also mentioned the Kennedy-Nixon debates for about 2 minutes.  The other man waiting for his haircut said that 55 years ago today that he saw Kennedy in a motorcade in Indianapolis.  I wasn't alive yet, so I don't know the details.  I don't know if this matters to you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 am