Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

Shadow Genesis

Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2012-11-01

Shadow Genesis

Post by Mega Luigi on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi all.

This topic is about a new mod that is being created by me and my brother, Mario Maniac. Yeah, he is still alive, in case you are in doubt.

First of all, I feel like I should say that this game, like its predecessors, is based in nazis and demons. I understand some of you may not like the idea, but we do. Also, by predecessors, I mean its prequels, all of them. This one is centered in the same story and it involves elements of previous gameses.

If you ever played an addon made by us or heard someone criticizing our style, you probably know how things are going to be developed. We enjoy a challenge, and we also enjoy the fact that this won't be a game that you will be able to finish in a couple hours.

Anyway, we've been working on it for a long time now, although we didn't work that much due to other stuff and whatever. Sprites, sounds, coding and all that stuff, except for maps and music, are already done. Like I said before, there are many level specific codings that are obviously yet to be done.

We didn't decide yet how many levels the game will have yet. We are just going on with the story, until it is the right time to end. I also think it is worth mentioning the maps are all 128x128. We always thought it was bad to have so many small claustrophobic rooms, but that was the only way to make big nice levels.

Obviously, I'm not spoiling much yet, but I can guarantee the game has a bunch of never seen before features.

After that wall of text, here are a bunch of screens, to show something that has been made already. I'll post more screens from time to time in here.

Official Beta Screenshots (latest released version as of now):

Shadow Genesis Part 1 Beta Download: (The forum inserts this adfly thing on the link. I can't do anything about that, so don't complain.)
    As bugs are found and fixed, I'll upload new patches here. You should download them as soon as possible. I'll also write what the bug is about.

Important things before you download this:

• You can press 'L' to see the ratios so far in the game.
    • The game is incomplete. What you will download is a demo version, which corresponds to the first part of a two part game. This part contains 39 levels. Whenever the full version is released, you WILL lose your savegame.
    • It's probably best not to play this on "I am Death Incarnate" unless you want some big suffering.
    • WolferCooker succeeded in completing the game, but that doesn't mean there are no bugs. In fact, I can almost guarantee there are.
    • If you get stuck somewhere and you feel like there is a bug that prevents you from completing it, it's better if you post it here so everyone can see it, and we can fix it if it's really a bug. If it's not a bug, I won't spoil anything and I won't give you the solution.

• There are no secret levels for now, although some "mechanisms" that would enable you to get to them are already in the game. That means there can be keys/switches/things that have no objective the way the game is now.
    • Although this should be obvious, READ the ReadThis section.
    • Achievements and mementos aren't in the game yet, even though the ReadThis describe them. Don't mind that, for now.

Full package (this has been updated and now links to the official beta version):
    http://205.196.120.6/file/nnzijaw3aaehu13/Shadow+Genesis+Pt.+1+-+Official+Beta.rar

Patches (no need to download any of them anymore. All of the patches have been included in the official beta version. The list of patches has been kept here purely as a log).

:

Patch 001
    Spoiler:

• Bug fix: you won't actually get the flamethrower even if you pick it up

Patch 002
    Spoiler:

• Bug fix: weapons not correctly assigned to the respective buttons
    • Bug fix: level 7 Book of Dead freezes the game

• Bug fix: level 9 eletronically locked door won't open

Patch 003
    Spoiler:

• Bug fix: level 20 mixing puzzle's secret tiles disappearing after the first pushwall was moved

Patch 004
    Spoiler:

• Bug fix: missing floor codes on the mixing puzzle area on level 20 causing secret tiles to disappear upon loading the game

Patch 005
    Spoiler:

• Bug fix: holy crosses being carried to the next level
    • Bug fix: grayish objects after leaving the smoky room on level 10

Patch 006
    Spoiler:

• Bug fix: secret weapon fix

This is the same map files from Patch 004. I've let it here since Patch 006 patches the executable, not the maps. If you downloaded the maps from Patch 004, there's no need to download it again.

Patch 007
    Spoiler:

• Bug fix: Snake's behavior has been altered (hopefully for better)

Patch 008
    Spoiler:

• Bug fix: Snake's behavior has been altered again
    • Bug fix: Level 25 message problem

Patch 009
    Spoiler:

• Bug fix: Removed unused event triggers from level 30

Official Beta Version
    Spoiler:

• This is the official beta version with all the previously released patches included. There's no need to download anything else besides the official beta.
    • As of this release, there will be no further updates and/or bug fixes in the beta version. If any problem comes up, it will only be fixed on the release of the final full version of the game.

http://205.196.120.6/file/nnzijaw3aaehu13/Shadow+Genesis+Pt.+1+-+Official+Beta.rar

Full Game (upcoming, not to be released anytime soon):

(contains features not currently available on the official beta)

That's it for now. Cya.

Last edited by Mega Luigi on Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:52 pm; edited 34 times in total
    brickgolem
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Male
    Number of posts : 79
    Hobbie : Wolf 3d mods, Castlevania, Super Mario Bros games, Heavy Metal Music, Road Trip, Forest Walk, Mountain Climb
    Registration date : 2014-11-24

Re: Shadow Genesis

Post by brickgolem on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 am

Hi guys.

It's nice to see that the work of Shadow Genesis is still on progress. And for those who wonder why I'm gone too long, don't worry, I'm back in business (holiday and family visits is the reason for the hiatus), so I'll hope the sprites will be finished on October, I guess.

I'll explain how I got involved during the ideas for this gargantuan mod:
    - Those who followed the "Shadow Genesis" thread in this forum, know that I was one of the first who posted some helps and signs of bugs who was fixed on the latest patches. During my gameplay, I realized that I had some of my sprite resources which I did for experiments seven years ago, but due to circumstances and a lot of private things, I've put this sprite test on hiatus. Luckily, I found them and came with a lot of ideas which suits for this mod, but I was on the baby stage for making sprites. Fortunately, making sprites went quicker than I expected, which was the result I've tested through MediaFire on the sprite thread I've created. So I came with Mario and Luigi with some ideas, and they're really impressed.
    - On February, I've finished with sprites of weapons, ammos, healths, artifacts, treasuries, traps and decorations, some of them animated. Now I'm in the design of enemies. If it's no barrier through my progress, like I said, I will be finished in the middle of October.
    - One thing Mario forgot to mention, is that many of the enemies we've seen on the beta stage, is outdated. For example, Iron Knight looks like a silhouette; Doctors and Scientists has pants which looks more like silhouette that pants; Elite Mutants (Mutantuber) looks pale etc.. So I fixed many of them so it looks more fresher and updated. Also, some of the enemies will have more frame rate (idle, attack, pain, death) and others will have eight direction rather than one.

It's also worth to mention that Milanor did also do a great job upon walkthrough of Shadow Genesis. He managed to beat the game on "Bring 'em on" difficulty, and spot some bugs and things to be fixed.

Yes, the progress goes slowly, but don't worry, it still going.Smile
    Mario Maniac
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2016-04-18

Post by Mario Maniac on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:18 am

@wolfercooker
    I'll still take some time, yes. But things will get faster. We had some specific problems that delayed our progress a lot. But it was worth doing.
    It's also worth mentioning that this beta on its own is at least 2 of our previous games considering the amount of levels, and maybe like 4 considering the time it takes to complete it.
    We considered splitting it in chapters. It could have 4 chapter with about 15-20 levels each. But that would kill a huge interaction from level to level. Secret weapons you found wouldn't be carried long enough, making them lose their value. Things like that.

@milanor
    The current levels have changed a little, but what you have to do to complete them remains the same.
    We still will play the whole game just to adjust health, ammo and whatever else it needs. Right now, the most important is to make sure there are no crashing bugs. You guys helped us a lot finding them. Thanks all. Smile Don't worry though, we won't make difficulty level restrictions. cyclops
    I really don't know much about those recording softwares, except that fraps will kill your memory before you notice it and hypercam is way too awful to be used. i'm glad you managed to find a way to handle that. And remember, you're free to record anything, if you wish.

@brickgolem
    We really liked the enemies you have made, indeed. Smile The reason we added yours instead of replacing current ones was because of things like... a new enemy now has 8 direction. We would have to go through the whole game searching for every place we used that enemy and add a deaf floor, if he was a boss, for example. We surely will forget somewhere where this fix will be needed to prevent something of going terribly wrong and we might ruin the game. We constantly screw up something and we don't even notice. I can't say how many times rain and snow stopped working suddenly during our tests. Many of the bugs you guys found weren't there when we tested the levels, to begin with. Cool That's how things work, though. It's never easy.

And of course we won't stop making this game, no matter how long it takes. We went way too far to stop now.
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1173
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Brickgolem, thanks for introducing fresh ideas and sprites into the game. I've been out of ideas for a long time. I've been down to only music suggestions now.
    brickgolem
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Male
    Hobbie : Wolf 3d mods, Castlevania, Super Mario Bros games, Heavy Metal Music, Road Trip, Forest Walk, Mountain Climb

Post by brickgolem on Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:11 am

Thanks for the compliments, WolferCooker.

Speaking of music, could you ask Mario or Luigi if it's possible to change main level music/ambient from level 1-9 and level 22? I mean, that it has authentic music rather than DOS music?

Here's some links for video game musics:
    https://downloads.khinsider.com
    https://www.vgmusic.com
    Mega Luigi
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2012-11-01

Post by Mega Luigi on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 pm

@brick: You can always ask us yourself, too! Smile Still, those musics were actually chosen to be there (I mean, it's not like we have just forgotten to change them). We wanted the early levels to maintain the original feeling of the game. Those are also the levels where there are less puzzles and less innovative environment - a more vanilla-ish way of mapping, if you ask me -, in the end, that's why we decided to do that. Later in the game, as things begin to get ugly, it is of the utmost importance to make choose all the appropriate stuff (musics, enemies, walls, you name it) to succeed creating the atmosphere we desire.

Also, we are aware that some people enjoy much more the shooting and killing than trying to understand a (very) complex plot like this game's. Well, can't really blame anyone for now, as the first part of the game was never intended to give the player full awareness about what's happening. Quite the opposite, actually, as it should raise a lot of questions. Still, specifically for level 22, that's a level that's hugely well-constructed plotwise! And most certainly the music there is part of its charm. Cool

It's also nice to remember the good old times!
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1173
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Brick, the Maniac brothers and I agreed to the DOS music in the early levels a long time ago. No sense in changing them now.

The maps are a lot smaller, a lot more simplistic, and so much easier to beat. IMO Luigi is right, they do give off a vanilla-ish atmosphere. A lot of mods usually pay tribute to the old school way so why not here in the beginning.

That's how it usually was in earlier levels in their past mods as well so it's really nothing different.
    brickgolem
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Male

Post by brickgolem on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:18 am

I'm agree with you, guys; I'm actually remembered those music in original classics as well as The Lost Relic and Weltgericht.Smile
    Mario Maniac
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2016-04-18

Post by Mario Maniac on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:16 pm

By the way guys, I should have asked this long ago. Be honest!
    We have done way too many different things. Before we advance too much in the levels, please say... which part(s), considering environment, enemies, puzzles or whatever else you can think on... was remarkibly annoying? I know you all loved the mixing part, so let's ignore this one. pirate
    All levels we made for the second half so far have a lot of those unusual stuff. I would be awful if we repeated the same thing.

And also, if you found some level or something of the level particularly appealing. That could be things like rain, the cutscenes, in what the level was centered, or anything else that grabbed your attention. Even the music.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:33 am