Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+2
Dark_wizzie
dunkelschwamm
6 posters

Hello to the greatest hobbyist community on the internet- again!

dunkelschwamm
    dunkelschwamm
    Can I Play, Daddy?
    Can I Play, Daddy?

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2013-06-08

Hello to the greatest hobbyist community on the internet- again! Empty Hello to the greatest hobbyist community on the internet- again!

Post by dunkelschwamm Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Hello to the beautiful Wolfenstein 3D community! It's been a long time! 5 years, actually.

I've been checking in here and there to keep up and- well, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Some of you may remember me as the mediocre modder and slightly less mediocre pixel artist RGamesINC (or reaching even further back, as Rocketboy680). Most of you probably don't remember me and that's understandable; I can't say I left a very lasting impression aside from a few sprite packs that I must say I've been very flattered to see have still been reused and retooled for further use in recently released mods!

I figured I'd stop in and drop my old name from my teenage years- hard to think that when I left the community I was just starting college and... well I'm still stuck in college floating around from major to major but I'm not here to talk about my personal life, ha ha ha!

After a lot of searching around I've found myself losing much of my passion for games and modifications, but I still have this overwhelming sense of nostalgia and joy when it comes to Wolfenstein 3D modding. I just saw the trailer today for the new Wolfenstein game that Bethesda is working on and it prompted me to come back to my old stomping grounds and see if my old modding buddies are still floating around here and WOW! Things seem to have slowed a tiny bit... and then sped up again... and then slowed... and then sped up, etc. etc. Things still seem to be operating the way they did when I left but with increased quality and I just felt the need to write a long-winded post, both as a new hello to the community I wish to return to and as a bit of a love letter to the community (platonic love of course, I wouldn't want to introduce romance and ruin such a long-lasting friendship Really, Really Happy )

The love letter I wanted to express is to those who have stuck to their beloved hobby and craft that is Wolfenstein modding. I am filled with so much respect for those who have stuck to what they love and have ever endeavored to improve upon it, and the Wolfenstein community is a beautiful representation of those values. The commitment, the undying love, the craft, the perfection, the loyalty... when I was younger I treated Wolfenstein and Doom as a sort of stepping stone to move on to "bigger" and "better" games but found that I had less passion when I moved further from the styles of games that I really love. Sure, games like Half-Life and Fallout 3 and plenty of the independent games coming out within the past few years own plenty of acres in my heart, but Wolfenstein is always where I got my start. The first first person shooter I ever played, the first map editor I took the time to learn, the first mods I ever made, the first pixel art I ever made- it all comes from this silly game about navigating corridors and shooting nazis before they shoot you. While I thought that I would be growing up by distancing myself from my earlier stages I've come to realize that what I've been doing is distancing myself from one of my greatest joys. Thinking I was growing I was being quite immature. And that's why when I look back and see the Dome still operating -updating almost every day- I feel this great feeling knowing that, despite there being people like me who decide to distance themselves from their favorite hobbies, there are still people as amazing as all of you who keep the community alive. You keep Wolfenstein 3D alive. You keep an outlet for creativity and fun and learning experiences alive.

I won't name names because I'm sure most of you know who you are- that is, I won't name names except for one in particular that I think stands high above the rest- Brian Lowe, you beautiful man! The way that you've kept the heart of this community pumping for years, making sure that Wolfenstein Mods have their own site to report on their news and release to the community that will love them... the Dome is a perfect hub and Brian, you were there to accept and release my crummy mods like The Legacy of Kevin Cartosa when I was only 14 years old. Offering help and words of encouragement, I owe a lot to you. And the same goes to so many of you- here on this board, on the DieHard Wolfers board, all over the place- you've dealt with me growing up and being a total asshat at times and you've all really helped to shape me as a person. I guess this is getting pretty soppy for a forum post on the Wolfenstein community but I really want to emphasize how much this community has meant to me throughout the years. I mean, I've been modding Wolfenstein since I was 3 years old and started following the community when I was in fourth grade. Seriously, it's meant a lot.

Anyway, before this gets any more personal (though I don't know how it could after all of that) I just wanted to express that I'm very interested in reintegrating into the community and refamiliarizing myself with the software. I've seen so many awesome mods come out, like that Federal Cases: Tara Carmichael mod and all of these rereleases on SDL making old mods playable to me without the use of clunky ol' DOSBox.

So, that was an extraordinarily long post but I really hope to see you guys around some more! Hello to everybody!

Much love,
    W.J.Holly (John)
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Hello to the greatest hobbyist community on the internet- again! Empty Re: Hello to the greatest hobbyist community on the internet- again!

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Hey there, I still remember Rgamesinc... I think you had an account here?
    Nice to see you again!

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Hello to the greatest hobbyist community on the internet- again! Empty Re: Hello to the greatest hobbyist community on the internet- again!

Post by Andy Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:37 am

Great post! Welcome back!
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 160
    Hobbie : Games
    Registration date : 2011-12-25

Post by linuxwolf Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:50 am

I like this post. Smile

I think special thanks is owed to the site moderators for keeping the Wolfenstein spirit alive. This game has played a special role in many of our lives, from childhood all the way through to adult hood. It has great value to the gaming community. For me, it is constant reminder of the moment I learned the true potential of computer entertainment.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:12 am

Though looking back it was pretty mediocre, it still doesn't change the fact that I had fun playing "The Legacy of Kevin Cartosa" and others from you. Good to see an old dawg around.
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Schabbs Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:49 am

Welcome back to the forums, John. Good to see you back. Smile

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:14 pm