Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

4 posters

Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer

Poll

How would you rate the 'Alliance of Powers'?

[ 4 ]
    Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Bar_left80%Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Bar_right [80%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Bar_left0%Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Bar_left0%Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Bar_left20%Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Bar_right [20%] 

Total Votes: 5
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Empty Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer

Post by WolfForever Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:28 pm

I really think this is among the best pure 21-level SoD replacements ever made (maybe this, Spearmpixsod, and the DHW one would make a top three). Anyways back on topic to the poll title, what's your feelings for this particular mapset?
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Empty Re: Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer

Post by Schabbs Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:25 pm

I voted excellent. The 2 mappers have different styles but seem to blend together very well. Smile

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    WolfForever

Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer Empty Re: Alliance of Powers, by HellRaiser/StormBringer

Post by WolfForever Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 pm

That's what I though. It's actually very reminiscent of how Deadly Sleep turned out (not a top three because it isn't a full, standard format 21-level replacement but it's just as good as this IMO). Interesting that one of the two authors worked on both...

(If I did go ahead an qualify Deadly Sleep as a pure SoD mapset, it would also easily be in my top five SoD mapsets BTW. That combined with the three I menioned would be four; and the fifth would have to be either This Spear or an Archives set; more ack or ack-style goodness. Smile But that's OT so I'll stop there.)
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 am

Best Sod mapset ever made? o_o I will have to check this out then...

And in unrelated news, yay, This Spear possibly on top 5!

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 am

@Dark_wizzie I didn't say it's the single best necessarily, but top five I'd say virtually for certain.

And I'm going to do a series of polls for many of these SoD favorites, so yours should come up. Smile

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:05 am

I won't be voting, but I have always found Stormbringer's levels to be above average or excellent and this set is no exception.

Useless trivia:
    - first person to guess the identities of Stormbringer and Hellraiser was MCS Amsterdam
    - Stormbringer got his name from a Deep Purple album & Hellraiser was part of a modding clique (circa 1995-Cool name Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers (ZZ Top lovers, no doubt).
    - a sequel to AoP was planned, but scrapped. Some of the scrapped levels later appeared in Archives II
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 am

How about vote the This Spear, a set not by you but with mapping inspired by yours?

https://wolf3d.darkbb.com/t2725-this-spear-by-dark_wizzie
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 am

ack wrote:I won't be voting, but I have always found Stormbringer's levels to be above average or excellent and this set is no exception.

Useless trivia:
    - first person to guess the identities of Stormbringer and Hellraiser was MCS Amsterdam
    - Stormbringer got his name from a Deep Purple album & Hellraiser was part of a modding clique (circa 1995-Cool name Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers (ZZ Top lovers, no doubt).
    - a sequel to AoP was planned, but scrapped. Some of the scrapped levels later appeared in Archives II
    I'm also digging some of the map names, e.g. No Quarter, Battle Scar etc. - good classic rock songs.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Some nice mapping. Level 18 was pretty challenging if you start with pistol/8 rounds, took a bit of manipulation. I don't think this is possible without secrets, but it might.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Thomas wrote:
    I'm also digging some of the map names, e.g. No Quarter, Battle Scar etc. - good classic rock songs.

Cool. I think naming the levels after songs was Stormbringer's idea. Nice to pay homage to some great music. Schabbs has been doing so for the past few years too, which I think is fantastic. Almost named one of the levels Ariel after the great Rainbow tune (listening to it now), but for the life of me I can't remember why I changed my mind Shocked
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 am

I even used "No Quarter" as a converted IMF in one of my maps. It was a bit slowed down, more cleaned up than most midi-to-IMF files are (Chris deserves the credit) and really created an atmosphere that overshadowed the level (it got a bit old)

ack wrote:Almost named one of the levels Ariel after the great Rainbow tune (listening to it now), but for the life of me I can't remember why I changed my mind Shocked

Some people might associate "Ariel" with Arielus, as if the map was a tribute to him. Chris might associate it with the little mermaid.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 am

Well, the guard placement of this mapset gets me a lot for some reason. Smile Playing level 18 with pistol and 8 rounds is quite intense!

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:59 am