Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

When is it possible to skip a key in Wolf3D/Spear?

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

wolf3d - When is it possible to skip a key in Wolf3D/Spear? Empty When is it possible to skip a key in Wolf3D/Spear?

Post by WolfForever Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 am

I'm trying to figure out, what are all the cases you can skip getting a key in the original Wolfenstein or Spear of Destiny? This can be for one of four reasons:
    -A matching floor code alerts enemies behind a locked door
    -You can alert enemies that must open the locked door to go after you
    -Finding the secret elevator doesn't require the key
    -A secret shortcut lets you go without the key

I'm not interested in these reasons:
    -Being lucky and having an enemy open a locked door it has no reason to open (it's not opening it to try and reach you for attack)
    -Keys that are exclusively required only for optional areas and not necessary areas in the level

In the original Wolfenstein I know of the following cases:

Matching floor codes:
    -The key in the wooden area on E3L3 can be skipped
    -Both keys on E4L7 can be skipped

Alerting enemies that must open the locked door to reach you:
    -Making a double left at the start of E4L2 you can alert the enemies in the wooden area from behind pillars
    -You can also alert the enemies in the room with the exit on E6L3, but the place you can alert from is very near the key itself anyways

Using a secret exit:
    -You don't need the gold key on E3L7
    -You don't need the key in the grey stone area (can't remember which color key) on E5L5

Secret shortcut:
    -Finding a Hans Grosse in the Aardwolf maze lets you skip the silver key on E2L8 (though I'd debate calling it a 'shortcut')

But are there any others in Wolf3D and what such cases if any exist in Spear?

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 4:47 am