Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

3 posters

Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D)

Poll

Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding feature (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D)

[ 3 ]
    wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_left21%wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_right [21%] 
    [ 0 ]
    wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_left0%wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_left21%wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_right [21%] 
    [ 2 ]
    wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_left14%wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_right [14%] 
    [ 1 ]
    wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_left7%wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 0 ]
    wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_left0%wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_left7%wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 2 ]
    wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_left14%wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Bar_right [14%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 14
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Empty Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D)

Post by doomjedi Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 am

Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D)
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Empty Re: Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D)

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 am

Well before I got into fully playing Wolf3d mods, I was looking for Wolf3d with the added weapons of a rocket launcher and flamethrower, which is the Jaguar version of Wolf3d.

End of Destiny was the first mod I played that had a rocket launcher, followed by Eisenritter and then Coming of the Storm.

So in a way, projectile weapons are my favorite. Switch activated walls is unique and portable medkits too. Basically EoD was my first true inspiration of returning to the good ol' 90s games and not so much Wolfendoom and Spear Resurrection (though it is very good too).

Ambient sounds makes the environment of levels much more realistic too.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

wolf3d - Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D) Empty Re: Top 3 most favourite and usable Wolf3D coding features (that wasn't in the original Wolf3D)

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:26 am

Frankly, I never knew what paralaxed skies even means. I think doom has it?
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 am

Neither did I, Wizzie, but yeah Doom has parallax skies. If you use it correctly to match the environment of the mod, it makes it more unique.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:33 am

Dark_wizzie wrote:Frankly, I never knew what paralaxed skies even means. I think doom has it?
    Well...it's easier to demonstrate than to explain....it's basically sky that is displayed as background you can't get closer to, representing something really far relatively to actual place you can visit in a level, just like far mountains relative to near-road trees when you travel on car or train.
    It's not part of texture distance scaling. Represents far objects, usually sky, mountains.......

Was first used in games such as "Duke Nukem 1/2/3", car games like "Lotus III - Ultimate Challenge"...only later 3D games adopted it, starting from Doom, ROTT and such....

https://youtu.be/wyXBESSgakM

Last edited by doomjedi on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 am

Now here's the next question and I'm sure it was discussed already. Is there a way to even change the settings of the parallax skies in a level? Like the closer you get to a destination (endtrigger), the image(s) come closer to view?
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 am

On my vote I mostly referred to features I can't imagine making "my" Wolf3D mod without.
    Also voted for medkits, as I hate health backtracking Smile
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 am

LOL forget portable medkits! If anyone wants to make fantasy type Wolf3d game, why not make a Pacman ghost-like enemy accompany you and GRANT you health instead of killing you?

It's portable health ON THE GO!

Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:46 am

I picked shading, parallax skies, and destructable scenary.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:51 am

oh yeah can't forget breakable columns and explodable barrels, though they can be easily manipulated.

Anyone try making breakable WALLS?
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 am

Frankly, it might as well be a static object that looks just like a wall at that point.

I remember that demo that was associated with Chaosedit, looked so cool.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 am

Problem is, can the wall code to prevent walls from rotating be done in static objects as well?
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:58 am

I'm no coder, but I think with enough time and effort, any can basically be done. You can end up coding so much, you change the wolf3d engine entirely, no? (Of course, that would require an insane amount of time.)

But forgetting that, I have not seen enough mods with reloading done...
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:00 am

Reloading weapons you mean. People hellbent on setting records aren't always on par with that idea since reloading weapons affect your speed and therefore time to beat the level.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:05 am

Just change the par times. I think reloading and some elements from WNE adds some flavor, more than just spamming "fire" with the fastest firing weapon. The Chaingun from the latest Raycast mod reminded me of SOD Reloaded. Warmup is too slow and fires too slowly to really make an impact. I want weapons to really stand out, so that each weapon has a use. I can just as easily kill all of the bosses with a MP40 in the mod, the chaingun was unnessesary. Add some special limitations, reloading time, clip size, jam chance...

A sniper in many wolf3d mods is basically a slow firing pistol that does high damage. The damage falloff over distances is just like other weapons. Etc, etc.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 am

Still can't get over that WNE can you...
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:09 am

Of course I can, I just feel some elements are worthwhile in other mods. That way, no idiot can wave their arms and said we've coded anything we could want.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:31 pm