Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+9
doomjedi
Dean
Atina
Dr.Zin
ronwolf1705
WolferCooker
NostalgicAlgorithms
giftmacher
Akuul
13 posters

Religion

Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

world - Religion - Page 5 Empty Religion

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:14 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi, wuts dis?

Last edited by Dark_wizzie on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 pm; edited 8 times in total

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1780
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

world - Religion - Page 5 Empty I have to go to a meeting.

Post by stathmk Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm

serpens wrote:About the supposed similarities of Krishna, Mithra and Horus to Jesus: what is the source? I'd like a reference to actual religious texts, not a Youtube video.
    I have to go to a meeting.  Remind me to respond overnight or tomorrow.  I'm half-finished typing my response in Microsoft Word.
    serpens
    serpens
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-01-11

world - Religion - Page 5 Empty Re: Religion

Post by serpens Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:14 pm

Fine, I'm waiting. In the meantime, a quick search through The Egyptian Book of the Dead using the keyword 'Horus' didn't seem to bring up anything resembling the claims in the OP. Here's what the translator writes about Horus:

Heru or Horus, the sun-god, was originally a totally distinct god from Horus, the son of Osiris and Isis, but from the earliest times it seems that the two gods were confounded, and that the attributes of the one were ascribed to the other; the fight which Horus the sun-god waged against night and darkness was also at a very early period identified with the combat between Horus, the son of Isis, and his brother Set. The visible emblem of the sun-god was at a very early date the hawk is, which was probably the first living thing worshipped by the early Egyptians; already in the pyramid texts the hawk on a standard is used indiscriminately with ### to represent the word "god." The principal forms of Horus the sun-god, which probably represent the sun at various periods of the day and night, are:--Heru-ur ({Greek A?rwh`rei), "Horus the Great"; Heru-merti, "Horus of the two eyes," i.e., of the sun and moon; Heru-nub, "the golden Horus"; Heru-khent-khat; Heru-khent-an-maa, "Horus dwelling in blindness"; Heru-khuti, "Horus of the two horizons," the type of which on earth was the Sphinx; Heru-sam-taui, "Horus the uniter of the north and south"; Heru-hekenu, " Horus of Heken"; and Heru-behutet, "Horus of Behutet." The cippi of Horus, which became so common at a late period in Egypt, seem to unite the idea of the physical and moral conceptions of Horus the sun-god and of Horus the son of Osiris and Isis.

Horus, the son of Osiris and Isis, appears in Egyptian texts usually as Heru-p-khart, " Horus the child," who afterwards became the "avenger of his father Osiris," and occupied his throne, as we are told in many places in the Book of the Dead. In the pyramid texts the deceased is identified with Heru-p-khart, and a reference is made to the fact that the god is always represented with a finger in his mouth. The curious legend which Plutarch relates concerning Harpocrates and the cause of his lameness' is probably based upon the passage in the history of Osiris and Isis given in a hymn to Osiris of the XVIIIth dynasty.

The issue was also briefly addressed by doomjedi in this post [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but his query went seemingly unanswered.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:43 pm

serpens wrote:Fine, I'm waiting. In the meantime, a quick search through The Egyptian Book of the Dead using the keyword 'Horus' didn't seem to bring up anything resembling the claims in the OP. Here's what the translator writes about Horus:

Heru or Horus, the sun-god, was originally a totally distinct god from Horus, the son of Osiris and Isis, but from the earliest times it seems that the two gods were confounded, and that the attributes of the one were ascribed to the other; the fight which Horus the sun-god waged against night and darkness was also at a very early period identified with the combat between Horus, the son of Isis, and his brother Set. The visible emblem of the sun-god was at a very early date the hawk is, which was probably the first living thing worshipped by the early Egyptians; already in the pyramid texts the hawk on a standard is used indiscriminately with ### to represent the word "god." The principal forms of Horus the sun-god, which probably represent the sun at various periods of the day and night, are:--Heru-ur ({Greek A?rwh`rei), "Horus the Great"; Heru-merti, "Horus of the two eyes," i.e., of the sun and moon; Heru-nub, "the golden Horus"; Heru-khent-khat; Heru-khent-an-maa, "Horus dwelling in blindness"; Heru-khuti, "Horus of the two horizons," the type of which on earth was the Sphinx; Heru-sam-taui, "Horus the uniter of the north and south"; Heru-hekenu, " Horus of Heken"; and Heru-behutet, "Horus of Behutet." The cippi of Horus, which became so common at a late period in Egypt, seem to unite the idea of the physical and moral conceptions of Horus the sun-god and of Horus the son of Osiris and Isis.

Horus, the son of Osiris and Isis, appears in Egyptian texts usually as Heru-p-khart, " Horus the child," who afterwards became the "avenger of his father Osiris," and occupied his throne, as we are told in many places in the Book of the Dead. In the pyramid texts the deceased is identified with Heru-p-khart, and a reference is made to the fact that the god is always represented with a finger in his mouth. The curious legend which Plutarch relates concerning Harpocrates and the cause of his lameness' is probably based upon the passage in the history of Osiris and Isis given in a hymn to Osiris of the XVIIIth dynasty.

The issue was also briefly addressed by doomjedi in this post [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but his query went seemingly unanswered.
    Yes, that's why I said I'll look into it. The issue doesn't matter at all in the long run, but it's still a good idea to doublecheck.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:18 pm

I always found these stories incredible:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My stance on belief/religion has always been neutral, so tales like these always cements my faith in the unknown. I respect and live by (as much as my instincts allow) the Christian set of values but not necessarily the Bible itself (never read it, really - had a kids' edition with lots of funny pictures though when I was younger), the whole anti-gay, anti-creativity thing they have going on. I don't think Jesus himself was the threat, it was his minions and interpreters over later, primitive decades - especially before the reformation.

That being said, I did believe in God until I was about 13, which was very unusual in this part of the world and is even more to this day. I still get paranoid about it. For example, I cannot turn my middle finger against the sky! I just don't dare it. And what's the point anyway. Since when has hatred been a solution to any issue?

I believe in love, and I believe in nature. Many times I'm superstitious like you won't believe. Karma plays its role as well. I think a bizarre mixture of Jesus Christ, Norse mythology and ancient aliens is my bag. There I said it lol.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:09 pm

serpens wrote:Fine, I'm waiting. In the meantime, a quick search through The Egyptian Book of the Dead using the keyword 'Horus' didn't seem to bring up anything resembling the claims in the OP. Here's what the translator writes about Horus:

Serpens,
    I think it's more likely that the source I sourced was inaccurate with the whole Horus thing. Here's a page of comments you might find interesting though: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I don't think the charge could be made that Jesus was a direct rip-off of Horus but I think they share ideas that are common, but then again - It probably wasn't just those two religions... Ideas of resurrections? Salvation? These are ideas that are very old and every religion loves it.

I understand the need to be as accurate as possible in a book. But there are so many pages and things that need to be fine tuned, it's very hard to double-check everything. I'm working on it though, and I think the core ideas are very good. Actually, I shouldn't be left so defensive... It was one mistake among hundreds of pages. But a mistake is a mistake and I'll look back at the book to see if that Horus mention is even in the book anymore. If you look at the original posting date of the thread, it was two years ago. I first started thinking about this stuff at... two years ago. Over time more and more arguments came in, along with it, a few more inaccurate ideas and facts, but all in all I think my case is much strengthened over time, not the other way around. Ultimately I don't care at all whether Jesus was ripped off of Horus. I care about whether there is a God and whether I am royally screwed in the afterlife, whether evolution is real, and what is or isn't moral. That was my intention when I set out on this task. But still, a mistake is a mistake.

Thomas wrote:I always found these stories incredible:

My stance on belief/religion has always been neutral, so tales like these always cements my faith in the unknown. I respect and live by (as much as my instincts allow) the Christian set of values but not necessarily the Bible itself (never read it, really - had a kids' edition with lots of funny pictures though when I was younger), the whole anti-gay, anti-creativity thing they have going on. I don't think Jesus himself was the threat, it was his minions and interpreters over later, primitive decades - especially before the reformation.

That being said, I did believe in God until I was about 13, which was very unusual in this part of the world and is even more to this day. I still get paranoid about it. For example, I cannot turn my middle finger against the sky! I just don't dare it. And what's the point anyway. Since when has hatred been a solution to any issue?

I believe in love, and I believe in nature. Many times I'm superstitious like you won't believe. Karma plays its role as well. I think a bizarre mixture of Jesus Christ, Norse mythology and ancient aliens is my bag. There I said it lol.
    I think the Bible is a mishmash of a lot of violence, superstition, wrong science, and all of a sudden, forgiveness and floaty good stuff. It's the kind of thing that would make my head spin in confusion. Thou shall not kill... except the gazillion times God orders murder and killed the entire world. But YOU shouldn't kill! Except from this and this, in which case you should. Short paragraph on my thoughts on the Ten Commandments:

So the first four out of five commandments are not about morality. Then God says to treat your parents nicely because you will be rewarded with land in the future. Don’t kill, don’t commit adultery, don’t steal, don’t bear false witness, and don’t want other people’s stuff. Is there anything profound here? No. Is there anything a kid wouldn’t know through a normal upbringing, be it theist or atheist? No. Is this the most condensed and useful set of rules possible from an omniscient being? No. Is this even outstanding compared to other religions? The founder of Jainism constructed a document of better morality than the Bible with a single sentence: Do not injure, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living thing. Every single society had rules resembling commandments 6 through 10 because there are obvious biological and social reasons why murdering or stealing is problematic. A chimpanzee knows this. The rules in the Ten Commandments are not the most complete, up-to-date, profound, or even the best presented. Is there a clause on sexism? Child rape? Racism? Slavery?

I mean, the Bible has good stuff in it. You're kindda bound to have that with such a long book. But why not just start from scratch, lol. Figure out what you think it moral and what is not and what to live by on your own. Clearly the origins are suspect and the book is flawed in many ways.
    I am not a superstitious person, and never really have been. I was the kid in second grade telling others that Santa probably doesn't exist. But I don't think my arguments were very convincing because I didn't change anybody's minds.  Very Happy  I believe in many things. I believe my name is Eric. I believe I live on earth. There are other beliefs I hold but I try to make sure they make sense, are logical, etc.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

world - Religion - Page 5 Empty 4 less books in The Protestant Bible?

Post by stathmk Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Almost 10 years ago, I had heard possibly from a show like CBS Sunday Morning or 60 Minutes about “The Year of Living Biblically” book: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I should check it out from interlibrary loan.  It’s about a man taking the Bible literally for one year.  He’s clean shaven at first and stops shaving when he gets to a passage of something about how men should not shave.  The Bible says to build a hut, but his wife didn’t like him building that outdoors, so he built it in the garage.  So today, I saw another commercial of the sitcom, “Living Biblically.”  He follows The Bible literally.  Then I thought, “Which Bible?”  The Catholic one, The Protestant One, or The Greek Orthodox one?  I hear that The Catholic Bible has kept 4 books in The Bible that Protestants weren’t interested in keeping in their Bibles.  I haven’t read The Bible cover to cover in over 20 years.

Does anybody know the who, what, where, when, why, and how of Protestants having 4 less books in The Bible than Catholics?
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

world - Religion - Page 5 Empty Different Bibles

Post by stathmk Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:52 pm

This is about my previous post.  I did a search for:
    Why does The Catholic Bible have more books
    …and here are some results:
    - https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AwrJ7JtM4YBaofoACQ1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZGJlNzF0BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQ3MjFfMQRzZWMDc2M-?qid=20080519011400AATH7sB
    - https://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/PCBIB.HTM
    - http://catholicbible101.com/thebible73or66books.htm

It’s a little confusing or not a popular topic and I’ll have to re-read the web sites.  I also stumbled into [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and nobody told me that The Orthodox Bible has more books than the Catholic one.

I might watch the first episode of Living Biblically.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

world - Religion - Page 5 Empty Living Biblically

Post by stathmk Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:22 am

So, this week I watched the first episode of Living Biblically.  I don’t think that anybody on this forum would find the episode offensive:
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

world - Religion - Page 5 Empty Cult on Doctor Oz

Post by stathmk Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 pm

I think that this is appropriate for the religion thread.  On the Tuesday, March 20, 2018 episode of Oz on NBC, it will be True Crime Tuesday.  The episode will be about a cult where the leader was a man with 13 wives, 50 children, and had 25 rivals killed.  It will start airing before I can get home from my lunch shift.  I don’t have a DVR yet to record.  Youtubers do not necessarily upload a Doctor Oz episode the next day, and if they do, then they seem to take it down in 48 hours for copyright infringement reasons.  Will one of you please watch it and type here about it?
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

world - Religion - Page 5 Empty It didn't air yet.

Post by stathmk Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:04 pm

stathmk wrote:I think that this is appropriate for the religion thread.  On the Tuesday, March 20, 2018 episode of Oz on NBC, it will be True Crime Tuesday.  The episode will be about a cult where the leader was a man with 13 wives, 50 children, and had 25 rivals killed.  It will start airing before I can get home from my lunch shift.  I don’t have a DVR yet to record.  Youtubers do not necessarily upload a Doctor Oz episode the next day, and if they do, then they seem to take it down in 48 hours for copyright infringement reasons.  Will one of you please watch it and type here about it?
    I was sent home early because we weren't as busy and I had time to watch.  I don't know why that particular subject didn't air today.  There were other topics on Dr. Oz today.  I would like to apologize for wasting your time.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

world - Religion - Page 5 Empty Jack Chick died in 2016

Post by stathmk Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 pm

I had forgotten to post here in 2016 that creepazoid Jack Chick died.  If he were still alive, then I think we'd be saying he's almost the most catatonic and embarrassing Christian who's not a murderer.  From what I had known, he seemed to be a paranoid schizophrenic loner and lashing out at people in his comic tracts based on his wildly inappropriate misunderstandings.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:42 pm