Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+3
WolfForever
lilmanjs
Schabbs
7 posters

Time to Kill SDL Released

Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Time to Kill SDL Released Empty Time to Kill SDL Released

Post by Schabbs Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Time to Kill SDL Released

Time to Kill SDL Released T2K000
    More Screenshots

Here's a mod by Thomas Weiling called 'Time to Kill SDL'. It's 45 levels, 40 straight and 5 secret. Maps are mixed between new ones from October '11 to March '12 plus some of the best from Overkill. There are a number of graphics changes but the Wolf3D feel remains. Very well designed. Available here. Vista/Windows 7-compatible.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Time to Kill SDL Released Empty Re: Time to Kill SDL Released

Post by doomjedi Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Love the color/art consistency of the levels...so much taste.
    Mapping is great too so far.
    lilmanjs
    lilmanjs
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1143
    Hobbie : playing wolf3d addons like crazy
    Registration date : 2007-04-17

Post by lilmanjs Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:40 pm

anytime thomas releases a mod, I know it will be worth grabbing. he is one of the best mappers around!

Time to Kill SDL Released TeamAardwolfV2PNG
    Time to Kill SDL Released 57046cfmlabelbar
    Mods being worked on:
    The Mutant Uprising, Final Fight 2
    Mod ideas:
    Stargate SG-1 addon, Mega Man addon
    Team Aardwolf Mods:
    The Mutant Uprising, Ghost
    Mods being worked on with other people:
    Return to Castle Hollehammer with Raziel A. (Karharis)
    Award winning mods:
    The Final Fight
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Post by WolfForever Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:01 pm

(Yes, I still do occasionally take a peak at the Wolf3D scene, I'm not gone! The game's almost 20 years old, and you can't argue it shows technologically, yet rightfully it sill has some type of community.)

Well it's a shame Overkill didn't make it. But on the other hand, Thomas has definitely been pumping out quality. In fact as far as I know almost EVERY *new* good release so far in 2012 has had at least some mapping contribution from him in it. Maybe 15 Master Levels and Stealth (which is still only a demo) are the only exceptions. He's entirely mapped two episodes for classic Wolf 3D, a replacement set of levels for Spear of Destiny, and now this have all been released this year. And he contributed to the DHW SOD SDL mapset. And I think that about sums up good releases this year so far, in terms of new stuff. Shows at least one author is going for goods, so keep it up! Smile

Yet, even considering if EVERY T2K map was pulled from the cancelled Overkill, and both of his single Wolfenstein 3D episodes were as well, that's only 65 levels saved. I wonder where the other 35 are sitting? His last Wolfenstein 3D release before that was last October, and Overkill wasn't cancelled yet as of then. Guessing he may have thrown an Overkill level or two into DHW SOD before it was done, still that's at best 70 maps. I doubt his solo Spear set was maps from it, it's a weaker mod IMO compared to everything else and he sort of admitted he know it was. Nonetheless I hope he continues to map and map some more, Thomas is one author that you don't easily get tired of! Smile

Regardless - I'm guessing 45 levels from Thomas with Dean and WSJ credited will make one of the best releases since the SR anniversary edition.

I only wonder what May 5th might bring...honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if it was Overkill and we're all being fooled. Not that I expect it though.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:57 am

WolfForever wrote:He's entirely mapped two episodes for classic Wolf 3D...
    Yes, I was planning on making a fully fledged map set for Wolfenstein 3D - and I had two episodes ready. Originally, Episode 1 had officers and mutants in it as well, but I removed those before release and put it out as a shareware set. I've never had a shareware set out, and I'd really love to make a map set which only uses what originally was used; and none of the above guards were used in Episode 1 (nor were they available in the shareware edition).

Level 5 from the shareware set got revamped for T2K - as level 29. However, I've changed some things - but I really felt good about that map, it's real dire and a real pain in the ***, so it had to see a more "mature" release, so to speak. I sincerely hope you don't mind.

WolfForever wrote:...a replacement set of levels for Spear of Destiny....
    I had a blast making most of those maps. Some of the latter maps weren't "weird", so to speak (which is the overall concept - play it and you'll see), and I regret that they ended up there. But SoD is soooo boring... There's absolutely no soul in that game. My first and last map set for that one!

WolfForever wrote:...And he contributed to the DHW SOD SDL mapset.
    I did, but those maps were made before June 2011. So it doesn't really count - but technically, yes. I did make a ridiculous bunch of product in the first three months of the year.

WolfForever wrote:Yet, even considering if EVERY T2K map was pulled from the cancelled Overkill, and both of his single Wolfenstein 3D episodes were as well, that's only 65 levels saved. I wonder where the other 35 are sitting? His last Wolfenstein 3D release before that was last October, and Overkill wasn't cancelled yet as of then. Guessing he may have thrown an Overkill level or two into DHW SOD before it was done, still that's at best 70 maps. I doubt his solo Spear set was maps from it, it's a weaker mod IMO compared to everything else and he sort of admitted he know it was.
    Normally I don't do this, but since you seem quite cool about the whole thing, I might as well explain the deal and go into specifics; Levels 30-40 and 44-45 in T2K are alterations of some of the better Overkill maps. I pulled 'em out, removed all the silly new stuff (breakable columns, exploding oil drums, tons of new guards) and made 'em a bit tougher (seeing it's the last part of the game, s'posed to be a real big thing with the General in the last level etc.) and made them fit. And I like them in this context, more than I did in Overkill.

That's 13 maps out of 100 - 87 maps are still sitting in the vault. I've cleaned my computer, got my laptop running instead and plan to take a big map making break from Wolf. I'm pretty sure Havoc has most maps backed up, and if he doesn't, well, that's just a shame. To tell you the truth, I don't feel one damn thing for those maps, really. And you wouldn't have fun playing them either. But maybe one day. I cannot promise anything. But now you know the story.

WolfForever wrote:Nonetheless I hope he continues to map and map some more...
    I'm pretty sure I will, but I really need a break - it kept getting old and I kept feeling un-innovative. So the next you'll see from me (hopefully it won't be resurrected wrecks from Overkill) will be something different, I hope. But I can't promise anything.

WolfForever wrote:I'm guessing 45 levels from Thomas with Dean and WSJ credited will make one of the best releases since the SR anniversary edition.
    I credited WSJ because I used his guards from Coming of the Storm. The only new guard-thing I did was remaking my "SS apprentice" from the scrapped virgin version of Overkill and edited the officer body on it. I also pulled out an edited General Fettgesicht from "Quest for the General", something I still can't understand I put out. Originally, I wanted Dean to test T2K but seeing I'd run through the maps already, and done it more than once (mainly 'cause I actually had fun doing it - yeah, I said it. I liked playing my own maps.) there wasn't any need, really. I kept his name in 'cause he's been so ridiculously supportive over the years. Merthsoft got credit for that easy tool he made which made me start recoloring like crazy. I think the green slime turned out pretty good.

WolfForever wrote:I only wonder what May 5th might bring...honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if it was Overkill and we're all being fooled. Not that I expect it though.
    After all the above statement, I don't dare say "you'll never know", 'cause it's clear to me that Overkill is a stone I dragged around my heart for way too long. Originally, "Escapism" and "Eisenfaust Overdrive" (the titles came to me when I e-mailed Brian, there you have it...) were to be part of a map set for the original Wolf, to be released on May 5. But now that they're out, I can't just pull them back and keep on making maps. First and foremost, I doubt I can reach it by May 5, and second, my laptop is not suitable for Wolfing. Some other day.

But thanks for the interest. I really hope you have fun playing T2K - 'cause I actually had fun making it. Even the latter maps, though they origined in Overkill.
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1252

Post by ronwolf1705 Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:16 am

WolfForever, it's good to see you post again. You should post more often, you always have something interesting to say! Smile I really like both T2K threads, very interesting to read about the creative process.

Time to Kill SDL Released MMCS0206
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:25 am

Really love this mod. Everything about this mod just creams "this was done by experienced wolf3d modder".

1. I love the fact that it's the first Wolf3D mod ever when I feel just surrounded by guards from every direction...not so for the number of guards - but for smart placing and level design. Every level looks like a big trap for BJ Smile You can't hide and it's some scary encounters. And not just "standard" trap in the small room - all the areas interconnect and "communicate" to create this "surrounded" feeling - that's a mapping masterpiece.

2. I love the fact that MP40 is smartly used as decoration, and not only as pickup. Very smart, and this idea is underused in other mods. The same goes for the bottle, which is a smart pickup to use - very useful in decoration.

3. I love the "quality control"...even new art is only added if matches the quality of original Wolf3D sprites...stuff like that, "art quality control and consistency" - is what usually makes it easy to notice of the mod was made by a newbie or by experienced wolfer.

4. I love how health is placed - there is plenty - yet it's placed not to ruin the challenge of big encounters, as it's placed the way you pick it only after the challenge is over.
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 491
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post by Akuul Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:24 am

I liked "Time to Kill SDL":
    - In one room gamer can come with two or three corridors;
    - The enemy can attack from behind (use different exits from the room);
    - Even the simplest Guard's is a serious threat;
    - Some enemy attacks cause a player to retreat, it is necessary to seek new terms for the defense.. or to look for invulnerability bonus (a bonus of god);
    - Like a combination of small rooms and large halls..
    - А whole world of "Time to Kill SDL" turned out not only dynamic but also a vivid.. Smile
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks, Akuul. What you said with "even the simplest guard is a serious threat" was exactly what I aimed for - as well as the God mode item being either hidden or causing the player to stop and think and go, "well, maybe it will come in handy LATER"... For example when you bang the door open and a million guards want to get you.
    Akuul
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 491
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post by Akuul Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:32 am

Thomas wrote:Thanks, Akuul. What you said with "even the simplest guard is a serious threat" was exactly what I aimed for - as well as the God mode item being either hidden or causing the player to stop and think and go, "well, maybe it will come in handy LATER"... For example when you bang the door open and a million guards want to get you.
    Yes, this is familiar to me. Very Happy
    At one level, trying to solve all the problems with machine gun.. face to face with the crowd, I naturally died.. then ran into the room where the ammo and health and died again .. Sad
    while at other levels before all turned out.
    Finally ceased to suffer, and went to look for sikretnye room. In one of the rooms found God mode.. Аnd the fun began Firing a Gun

P.S. I liked one more thing - a room locked from the inside.. from which small groups of zombies attack (or soldiers)
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:36 am

Now that I started playing Wolf3D mods on hard skill - I'm re-playing this mod.
    It's even more magnifficent now on the hard level (2d skill level out of 3).

I enjoy so much the perfection of this mod. So many little things, everything is perfectly paced and placed....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:59 pm