Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

5 posters

World War II 3D Video Game

World War II 3D Video Game Empty World War II 3D Video Game

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:31 pm

I am planning on creating a video game based on realistic battles of WWII. The game will contain 5 episodes and 50 levels. It will use the Wolfenstein 3D Source Code and be a prequel/spin off/sequel to Spear of Destiny and Wolfenstein 3D. Wolfenstein 3D takes place in 1943. I think Hitler's death in Episode 3 of Wolfenstein 3D took place in 1945. I am going to code it using C++ and using tutorials on the Wolfenstein 3D Dome. I am planning on making a website for this game on my 6serve website.

Each episode will be 10 levels long. Episode 1 will be called 1942. Episode 2 will be called 1943. Episode 3 will be called 1944. Episode 4 will be called 1945. Episode 5 will be called 1948.

I still have to come up with the storyline information to the game. It will be realistic WWII battles. 1948 will get its own story. It will be similar to 24 Redemption and it will be set in Israel and William Joseph BJ will be working as a Christian missionary protecting orphaned Christian Israeli children from neo Nazis. The children are not going to die in this game. Do not worry. William Joseph is going to stop the Nazis and save the world.

I am hoping to have this released by Wolfenstein 3D's 20th birthday.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

World War II 3D Video Game Empty Re: World War II 3D Video Game

Post by doomjedi Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:37 am

Do you plan to recreate specific battles? Like Stalingrad? Berlin?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:05 am

There will be specific battles. I do not know if BJ fought in the battle of Berlin. Maybe he did. Hitler could have been brought back to life temporarily and BJ might have fought in Berlin. I am thinking of making this a 60 level video game instead of 50 levels. One year might be two episodes. We will see.
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:39 am

Well, wish you the best luck.
    It's a promicing project, hope it can live up to the expectations.

I am hoping to have this released by Wolfenstein 3D's 20th birthday.
    Don't rush it Smile

(As someone who had to scrap a simular project) I'd suggest for more realistic battles - a few new systems to be implemented. 1 of which is a hub-system, to make it feel more realistic and to allow defence battles and not only attack ones. This will allow non-linear missions and progression and more dynamic story of battle unfolding with areas recaptured or opened to access.
    You also need good arsenal of realistic weapons (reloading and all) - Sniper Rifle for example. Stealth gameplay can be good in this one....stealth inventory, weapons... Make it more tactic.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:43 am

There are only going to be 4 weapons. The chaingun might be replaced. Were chainguns around during WWII? The Wolfenstein 3D feel will remain.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1198
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:57 am

There are only going to be 4 weapons. The chaingun might be replaced. Were chainguns around during WWII? The Wolfenstein 3D feel will remain.

I'm not sure if chainguns were around in WWII, but if you want to be safe about it, you can use the MG42 as a replacement.

As for 4 weapons, I think that's too little for a WWII-like game. I'm not saying go Medal of Honor-like, but for German weapons, I recall at least seven German weapons used in WWII: Luger/Walther p38, Mp40, Kar98, STG44, MG42, Steilhandgranate, Panzerschreck.

It's all up to you on what you want to do, but a WWII-like game despite the Wolf3d feel should be as realistic it can be without getting into any sort of trouble from society.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:26 am

I think including 7 weapons would be a good idea. I am going to need help coding it in though. I do not know how to add three more weapons to Wolfenstein 3D.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1198
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:29 pm

I can only help you with coding in additional weapons THEMSELVES. I don't know how to code in the separate ammo and I don't know how to make a weapon a projectile weapon such as a rocket launcher. Someone else will have to help you in those areas.

doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by doomjedi Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:14 am

I'd advise you do start with smaller project, unless you have large Wolf3d Modding experience. You can't recreate battles by classic Wolf3D look and feel. You can name the level "Battle of" - but that's it. This has a potential to be a dissapointment, of not done right or rushed.
    A feeling of a battle is very different from classic Wolf3D run&shoot 1vsALL. And it gotta feel battle. And WWII...and realistic.
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:25 am

Also, designing and testing such an ambitious project in 8 weeks is a bit unrealistic.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1775
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

World War II 3D Video Game Empty Re: World War II

Post by stathmk Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:12 pm

jpb6891 wrote:There are only going to be 4 weapons. The chaingun might be replaced. Were chainguns around during WWII? The Wolfenstein 3D feel will remain.
    I had heard about how Gatling guns were invented during the American Civil War: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatling_gun . I had also heard that they usually were impractical, expensive, heavy, jammed, overheated, or something.

I was watching The History Channel and a tower in a prison in The American Wild West had a Gatling Gun to prevent prisoners from escaping. Some of them tried to escape over the wall or barbed wire. Then they fired the Gatling Gun and everybody stopped in their tracks. I had never heard of a second instance of a Gatling Gun being used a second time at that prison.

8 weeks is not enough time to finish a mod with extra coding. Maybe a year and 8 weeks might not be enough time.

I thought European involvement in World War II began in September 1939, the day after Hitler invaded Poland, or Austria-Hungary, or Czechoslovakia. Americans were already fighting The Japanese on isolated islands like Kisko and Attu before Pearl Harbor. Then Pearl Harbor happened in December 1941. I suppose that you're being technical and that you're saying American involvement in World War II was 1941-1945. In 1948, Israel became a country. I saw 24 Redemption, but I thought that it took place in Africa, not Israel.

We studied in History class what I thought was called The Tokyo-Rome-Berlin Treaty where Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito agreed to fight Americans. I'm an American and non-Japanese. My Dad's a pilot and knows about some of the planes used to fight Hirohito. I grew up 2 blocks away from a non-Japanese man that had a cannon in his front yard from The Pacific Theater. I was just a little child trick-or-treating at his house and too young to know about The War with Japan and Hirohito. Hirohito was literally worshipped as a what I would call a cult quasi-god. They thought that the first Japanese Emperor was the child of the sun goddess Amaterasu. I had heard that the Japanese never lost a war before World War II. So, I think that maybe it would be more interesting if you added in Japanese-themed levels. In Spear Resurrection, there's a Japanese boss that you fight and Japanese music is playing.

How detailed do you want the game to be? In the retail version of Unreal Tournament (1998 or 1999 version) there's a D-Day level on a beach: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day

When Hitler invaded Russia, it was the earliest and coldest Russian Winter in 250 years!! scared It's almost unbelievable how many Germans and Russians died from fighting each other, from the cold, or from starving to death.

D-Day was in 1944, so you might want to have beach levels in the 1944 episode. Roosevelt died in April 1945. Mussolini and some other men were put on trial, dragged out into the street, shot, and hung upside down from telephone poles on April 28 or 29, 1945. On April 30, Hitler and his wife were surrounded by The Allies and committed suicide. I had heard that Anne Frank would have lived if the death camp was liberated a few days earlier. She died in May 1945. I don't know the name of the man who apparently took over for Hitler from April 30 to May 6, 1945. VE-Day (Victory in Europe Day) was May 6, 1945. The United States tested The Trinity atomic bomb near Los Alamos in June or July. Hiroshima (A Uranium bomb) Day was August 6. Nagasaki (A Plutonium bomb) Day was August 9. I'm confused as to whether Hirohito surrendered on August 10 or 15. I've heard that 100,000 people were killed in Europe in fights within 6 months of World War II ending in Europe. That's what I'll say about 1944 and 1945. Hirohito was apparently protected by a treaty if he surrendered. Hirohito died in 1988.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:19 am

For the while, I am going to include 4 weapons. The Chaingun might be changed or it may stay the same. For wolfenstein 3d's 20th birthday, I think the wolfenstein 3D feel should remain. World War II 3D will still be a great game regardless. I am going to start working on the first level tonight. I could make episode 6 a prequel to Wolfenstein Endgame.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

World War II 3D Video Game Empty Contacting Majik Monkee?

Post by stathmk Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:00 am

I told jpb6891 that there was a boss of a tank driven by 2 men probably on https://www.youtube.com/user/balames87/ or on Mr. Ling Yan Yi’s Youtube page at https://www.youtube.com/lingyan203 from awhile ago. Does anybody know the name of the mod with the tank? Does anybody know how to get to a web page that I think was called "Majik Monkee's Image World" with sprites including the tank? I didn’t remember to bookmark the page. Does anybody know how to contact Majik Monkee? If I can’t find the tank, then I’ll contact balames87 or Mr. Ling Yan Yi on Youtube later this week. If jpb6891 doesn’t use the tank, then maybe I might use it in one of my mods.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:23 am

Holy ****, that's a lot of questions. I think the tank was used in "Operation Hundscheisse" or something. Love the sprite, always thought about using that in some way.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

World War II 3D Video Game Empty Web page found!

Post by stathmk Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:39 am

OK, Thomas and Jpb6891, I’ve found Majik Monkee’s page with the ATV: http://mmimageworld.dugtrio17.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?category=boss&page=1 . I don’t know if it’s in Operation Hundscheisse.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 pm

I have made one level so far. Due to the time consumption of editing random generated maps, I have decided to use Brian's Wolf Bel 2 Levels. Other modifications will be made though. I plan on changing boss sprites and mutant sprites. Edit. The first level turned out to be a major disappointment. I am going to use all of the Wolfbel2 levels.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 am