Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+3
Dark_wizzie
Thomas
Tragos2d
7 posters

Really heavily coded mods...

Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Really heavily coded mods... Empty Really heavily coded mods...

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:21 pm

I was wondering, which mod do you think has the most advanced coding ever? Putting aside the mapping, and just looking at the coding here. Is it The Lost Relic? Sonder as seen from Youtube? Maybe The Lost Relic's sequal? I heard that would be the first mod featuring larger than normal levels. Discuss. Very Happy

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Really heavily coded mods... Empty Re: Really heavily coded mods...

Post by WolferCooker Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Maybe The Lost Relic's sequal?

It's not done yet bro. It got some ways to go depending on how fast Mario Maniac and Mega Luigi are working on it.

I don't think anybody else played The Lost Relic because it is too buggy. Again, I found a way around some of those bugs to get The Lost Relic to at least play instead of crashing all the time, but who knows if anyone else think it was interesting to play. Probably explains why MM and ML never got a Dome Award after they got one for Weltgericht. Besides, some guys (one of them I can't mention) are highly critical of their mods because they think they are copying other mods to make their own, which I don't think is true anymore.

Anyway, I'd put Totenkopf SDL in that mix too. I've never thought a mounted weapon was possible in a Wolf3d TC. Any WSJ mod is coded extensively albeit not as heavy as MM and ML's 2 of their most recent mods.
    Tragos2d
    Tragos2d
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 140
    Job : Pouring gasoline on fires.
    Hobbie : Talent is so unpopular...
    Registration date : 2011-07-06

Post by Tragos2d Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Totenkopf SDL has my vote. After playing it for the first time it made me rethink what was possible with Wolf3d.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:20 pm

This is regarding The Lost Relic's sequel.

I'm not going to spill the beans whatsoever as I caught flak from MM and ML a year ago when I leaked some info here about it. HOWEVER, I will say a few VERY BROAD details about it.

Many things have changed with this mod since last year. The size of this mod has grown EXPONENTIALLY and it will more than break WSJ's record mod size of 22MB for his Totenkopf SDL mod. If WSJ's next revamped mod isn't the biggest file-sized mod in Wolf3d mod history, then I can more than assure you that MM and ML's next mod will.

Wizzie is correct. If WSJ doesn't beat everyone to it with new ideas, this mod should be the first to have 128 X 128 maps. That alone should take you a while to beat the levels.

I will not disclose anymore features than I have in the past, but let's just say you'll be amazed by them if you haven't seen them before.

If you wanna play this mod when it's released, I recommend you clean out your computer to free up some space to fit it in.

Oh yeah, as far as I know, there are NO bugs in this mod whatsoever and any noticeable coding mistakes that were seen in The Lost Relic have been corrected.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:36 am

128 x 128 maps have been done before, but none have been released. I messed around with that concept with Chris some years back, but it never materialised.

I still think Totenkopf SDL holds the spot as the most "heavily coded" mod ever.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Thomas wrote:128 x 128 maps have been done before, but none have been released. I messed around with that concept with Chris some years back, but it never materialised.

I still think Totenkopf SDL holds the spot as the most "heavily coded" mod ever.
    I know it has been done before. I've done it. But I've yet to see anyone release a mod officially with that.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Well we'll find out soon enough how much longer a level will be completed under 128 X 128 maps once The Lost Relic's sequel is released. It is yet to be named, though I did think of one for it.
    Dr.Zin
    Dr.Zin
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 180
    World of Tanks Username: ToreHund
    Registration date : 2010-08-11

Post by Dr.Zin Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:39 pm

128x128 maps aren't terribly hard to implement. But geometrically they are 400% larger than than your standard 64x64 so I would imagine, depending on how much of that space is utilized anywhere between 1-4 times longer than average. Personally I'd rather have more 64x64 levels than fewer 128x128 levels. In the end though it is more an aesthetic preference as up until recently everyone has been using 64x64 and very few have actually fully utilized (I don't think any have but I am not completely sure)a complete 128x128 map and it can seem a bit like overkill to me. Though I suppose it is a "well at least I have it if I need it" kind of feature for mappers. In the end I think it is the quality of the construction and implementation of the maps rather than their sheer size. I'd much rather play a very well designed 64x64 map than a lazily and/or hastily thrown together 128x128 map simply because the latter is larger.

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
    and the bus is interupted as a very last resort,
    and the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort
    then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

http://radix-16.com/
    Wolf3d Chat
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Zin, If my memory serves me right, MM and ML are going to make 30+ seamless levels using 128 X 128 maps. They tell me that not all of them will use up all the space, especially in the first few levels as a transition of what's to come in the later levels. Considering how many different enemies and features there will be in the mod, I think it's smart of them to do it in 128 X 128 format to reveal more of the features at once rather than a few at a time with a 120+ seamless level mod in 64 X 64 format.
    Dr.Zin
    Dr.Zin
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 180
    World of Tanks Username: ToreHund
    Registration date : 2010-08-11

Post by Dr.Zin Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Well in the end I suppose it would deal with the content of the game. If it is a multi-environment game which focuses beyond the archetypal castle, then 128x128 might almost be a necessity. At 120+ levels, I would assume that it spans a full range of environments which 128x128 might be the only way to convey their idea. A less experienced modder using 128x128 would probably be disasterous but the skilled and, dare I say it, more masterful modders would probably be the only people who could utilize the increased level size properly. A modder does not need 128x128 on their first game, unless they were some kind of savant. Lonewolf won't utilize 128x128 simply because I feel 64x64 is enough to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish, at this present moment anyway. But using only what I need is more my style and may not be another person's, so again it is personal choice and what the developers are trying to accomplish.

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
    and the bus is interupted as a very last resort,
    and the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort
    then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

http://radix-16.com/
    Wolf3d Chat
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:05 pm

I would assume that it spans a full range of environments which 128x128 might be the only way to convey their idea

That is probably the reason, but they have other uses for it too. What those other uses are I don't know, but you'll be amazed with some of the features they have added. Trust me.
    linuxwolf
    linuxwolf
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 160
    Hobbie : Games
    Registration date : 2011-12-25

Post by linuxwolf Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:35 pm

I am looking at Totenkopf on Youtube now. It looks and sounds outstanding. Who did it?
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker

Post by Schabbs Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:16 am

Wolf Skevos-Jones made it. It's the first of his mods to be released in an SDL version. It's listed as 'Castle Totenkopf' in the addon lists.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:00 pm

I think Totenkopf SDL is only the tip of the iceberg that we've seen from WSJ. I can't wait to see what he has in store for us in his next mod, revamped or not!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:28 am