Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

5 posters

Temporary leave due to Hurricane Irene

WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1198
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Temporary leave due to Hurricane Irene Empty Temporary leave due to Hurricane Irene

Post by WolferCooker Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:32 pm

From where I live, in the central part of the very eastern portion of Pennsylvania, pretty close to the NJ border, there is a possibility that my area can get a DIRECT HIT from Hurricane Irene come Sunday based on the projected track.

I don't expect a direct hit, but I expect power and internet power to be lost for some time and maybe widespread damage in my region. There were times where my area got heavy rain from remnants of a tropical system, but I believe this region hasn't encountered such a phenomenon like in a VERY LONG TIME and I am getting very concerned on what the outcome may be. My neighborhood and area isn't prone to flooding, but wind damage is still very possible.

Things can still change, but if it comes to it, I hope there's at least minimal damage from Irene after it passes. I'm keeping an eye for any possible evacuations if the worst is to come.

So with that said I am writing this post while everything is still calm and while I still have internet and power.

Effective Sunday August 28, 2011: I will be on temporary leave here until Irene passes or until power is restored, whenever that may be, if power goes out.

Hope I come out of this with minimal or no damage (and alive if my family chooses to stay put in the house).
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Temporary leave due to Hurricane Irene Empty Re: Temporary leave due to Hurricane Irene

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Oh. Good luck, stay safe, stay indoors. And be alive so you can post in here again. D:

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Temporary leave due to Hurricane Irene Empty Re: Temporary leave due to Hurricane Irene

Post by WolferCooker Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Of course I'll be alive, Wizzie! Don't worry. I'm just worried about the outcome.
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 385
    Registration date : 2010-09-29

Post by Per-Scan Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing post Irene. Smile
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Will do, Per-Scan.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:31 am

Forecasting 6-10 in. of rain with isolated amounts of 15in. in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Power outages may last anywhere from a few days to up to a week. Maybe longer.

Last edited by WolferCooker on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:01 pm

I can't help but say that Irene reminds me of WSJ's mod title Coming of the Storm.

Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Per-Scan Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:40 am

Hope everything is okay with you. I saw on the BBC that people are being told to leave the area in NY. You still online? Are you being forced to leave? Geez, dude. I feel for you.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:34 am

I still have power... for now. I won't come tonight.

I don't think people in my area are forced to leave, but NJ is a different story. And I'm only about 10-15 miles away from the NJ border.

Tropical Storm warning is issued for my area. At least 5 inches of rain is guaranteed, enough to flood the Delaware River that separates PA from NJ. This is all within a 24 hour period.

Irene slowed down a bit, so the rain might last longer.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Rain begun about 1 hour ago. Gonna get worse while I'm sleeping overnight. This may or may not be my last post depending on WHEN my place loses power.
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Per-Scan Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:08 pm

My thoughts are with you. I can only imagine what you're going through. Sleep well.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:11 pm

It's not bad yet, but soon it will be. Hopefully I don't wake up to hear the sound of a tree crashing into the house.
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:46 am

Well well well.

Irene is pretty much done with hitting my area. And I still have internet and power.

Coincidence?
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:50 pm

It's all good now.

Never lost power or internet. No damage either. Very lucky that it turned out a-ok in my neighborhood. Irene could have definitely been a lot worse.

I'm back, and I'll be back to my usual routine here due to school by checking here at most once a day.
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Post by Per-Scan Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:06 am

I'm glad everything is okay with you. Did the storm just pass you by then?

Random Factoid: My girlfriend is called Irene. True story. Smile
    Tragos2d
    Tragos2d
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 140
    Job : Pouring gasoline on fires.
    Hobbie : Talent is so unpopular...
    Registration date : 2011-07-06

Post by Tragos2d Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Don't you just hate soggy cereal? LOL

Actually I'm glad your okay. I still cant believe New York got pounded!
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Oh I got hit alright, there's no denying that, but it could've been A LOT worse had the center of Irene moved more inland. Many people in my area were/are (still) without power.

Got 5 inches of rain with up to 50mph wind gusts. Tropical Storm conditions if you ask me. My development has underground wiring which greatly reduces the chance for power outages.
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1775
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Temporary leave due to Hurricane Irene Empty I'm going to be busy too

Post by stathmk Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:24 pm

WolferCooker wrote:I don't think people in my area are forced to leave, but NJ is a different story. And I'm only about 10-15 miles away from the NJ border.
    I have a joke.
    Question: Why are New Yorkers so depressed?
    Answer: It's because the light at the end of their tunnel is New Jersey!

I also might be away from the forum for a while or on less often. I'm working. I'm taking an online class all September. I have to photograph things and sell them on ebay.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:17 am