Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+2
WolfForever
Schabbs
6 posters

Spear Resurrection SDL To Be Released

Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Spear Resurrection SDL To Be Released Empty Spear Resurrection SDL To Be Released

Post by Schabbs Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:05 am

Spear Resurrection SDL To Be Released

Latest news from the AReyeP/MCS site Newsdesk (May 2011) is that a Spear Resurrection SDL for Windows version is being made and is in the testing stage. Hopefully, it will be available in a few months time. With 10 new levels amongst the changes and the advantages of SDL, this looks like something well worth waiting for. Read more about it at the AReyeP/MCS Newsdesk.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Spear Resurrection SDL To Be Released Empty Re: Spear Resurrection SDL To Be Released

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:12 am

Iiiiiinteresting. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Spear Resurrection SDL To Be Released Empty Re: Spear Resurrection SDL To Be Released

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:58 am

10 new levels? You mean 10 MORE levels or are 10 of the levels changed around? Hope they are added levels. Anyway, a month has passed by since the statement so maybe it won't be much longer now. I expect this to be released before I start school again in late August.

Spear Resurrection was the 2nd Wolf3d mod I've played since I first discovered Wolf3d mods (1st was AReyeP's Wolfendoom of course). It will be great to see what new changes have been made compared to the DOS one. And if AReyeP and MCS have any time left in their Wolf3d lives after this, it would be heaven if they make an SDL version of EoD.
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1252
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by ronwolf1705 Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 am

@WolferCooker: I'm pretty sure 10 more levels are meant. Smile And about the SDL version of EoD, I know KyleRTCW is working on one at the moment.

Spear Resurrection SDL To Be Released MMCS0206
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Post by WolfForever Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:04 am

Spear Resurrection is already in the top 5 TC's ever, even after almost 10 years.

And something tells me these will only make it even better! Smile

(In fact, I was about to start my [long-belated] playthrough of this mod last evening when I was going on the site to consult the walkthrough because I wanted to know which floors had the secret exits. But now I'm going to wait for this in all the SDL glory - if I took nine and a half years to finally get around to playing this then I surely can wait another couple of months for the new version! [Oddly enough, I've already played EoD.])

One last question, to anyone who knows, will ack's excellent "The Anticipation" addon to this still work with the new version? (I haven't played Anticipation either, and will not be until I've played Spear Res. in at least some form. But if the SDL version won't handle The Anticipation, that's telling me I'd better keep the Dos version on my machine still.)

ps BTW I predict the release date will be November 27, 2011. And this is NOT just a random guess, even though I will admit to having NO insider information on how close this is to release.

I'll leave it to someone else to decode why I predict this to be the release date...
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by ronwolf1705 Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:48 pm

WolfForever wrote:One last question, to anyone who knows, will ack's excellent "The Anticipation" addon to this still work with the new version?

Yes, it will. It doesn't involve any EXE changes, just maps. So it'll work with the new version. Smile

WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Post by WolfForever Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:01 pm

ronwolf1705, do you know if it will take advantage of other modern day features like textured floors/ceilings? On the site the update sounded like it would be a full overhaul, not just some changed maps. (Note that this is referring to Spear Resurrection SDL, not KyleRTCW's in progress port of EoD.)

If it does have these changes, then addons probably won't work, unfortunately, but it would be worth it to have modern day features and utilize SDL to its potential! Smile
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently

Post by WolferCooker Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Sure sounds like a total overhaul. AReyeP and MCS look like they're gonna try and take WSJ's footsteps the way he facelifted Castle Totenkopf.

Looks very promising indeed. I'll be damned surprised if a few new weapons weren't added along with the MCS MK3 and MK4.
    Andy
    Andy
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2007-12-22

Post by Andy Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:38 am

Hate to burst your bubble, but this will be a simple port, where the goal is for it to run exactly as the DOS version did. For the new levels, the "under the cover" capabilities have been boosted, and a small quirk/joke has been removed per AReyeP's request.

The AUDIOT files had to be re-done to be compatible with the new engine, but otherwise all other files from the old game (and addons for it) will work with the new EXE.

Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:37 am

What about End of Destiny?

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by WolferCooker Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:13 am

Even if all of what you're saying is the truth Andy, don't you think AReyeP kinda overexaggerated on the news then?
    ronwolf1705
    ronwolf1705
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male

Post by ronwolf1705 Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:00 pm

WolferCooker wrote:Even if all of what you're saying is the truth Andy

Andy is the coder, it's safe to assume he knows what he's talking about. Razz

WolferCooker wrote:don't you think AReyeP kinda overexaggerated on the news then?

In what way? I didn't read anything that suggested floor/ceiling textures or anything of that sort.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:20 am