Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

4 posters

Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack

Poll

How would you rate it?

[ 5 ]
    Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack Bar_left100%Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack Bar_right [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack Bar_left0%Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack Bar_left0%Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 5
    WolfForever

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-12-05

Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack Empty Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack

Post by WolfForever Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:17 am

This is ack's most recent full game; 30 levels version was released in '09 and 60-level version was released in '10. From what I know he has only contributed E6 to the DHW SDL set since. Anyways as far as vanilla sets go, this is just about as good as they come, in my opinion, right on par with the first Acktung. I give this one "Excellent" without second thought.

EDIT: Adding download link for convenience - http://www.veracottis.co.uk/LastWaltz.zip

Last edited by WolfForever on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack Empty Re: Acktung 2: The Last Waltz, by ack

Post by Schabbs Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:52 am

I had no problem voting 'excellent' for this one. The levels are all extensive, very well designed and with the right amount of decoration. The set seems to have more of an expansive and majestic feel than some of his earlier work but they are still very good too.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:54 am

Agrees with me again, not that it's necessary, but I love reading the comments (yours included)! Smile And of course, not every game deserves "Excellent". I'm trying to post about the ones I think were at least "Good". Anyone can feel free to either agree or disagree with me, that's what these polls are for! Smile
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:35 am

WolfForever wrote:This is ack's most recent full game; 30 levels version was released in '09 and 60-level version was released in '10. From what I know he has only contributed E6 to the DHW SDL set since. Anyways as far as vanilla sets go, this is just about as good as they come, in my opinion, right on par with the first Acktung. I give this one "Excellent" without second thought.
    Bro, The Last Waltz is my favorite original Wolf3d mapset, EVER. It beats out his first mapset hands down too, in my opinion. I was flipping through the levels, and my brother happened to walk by. He thought I was making art when he looked at the editor.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1739
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:32 pm

I have never played an acktung!-map full out. I'm getting to feel I ought to regret that.

Give me an S...
    Give me a D....
    Give me an L...

... However, I've managed to play "Operation: Letzerschutz" which he contributed to. Excellent stuff indeed.
    WolfForever

Post by WolfForever Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Dark_wizzie wrote:
    WolfForever wrote:This is ack's most recent full game; 30 levels version was released in '09 and 60-level version was released in '10. From what I know he has only contributed E6 to the DHW SDL set since. Anyways as far as vanilla sets go, this is just about as good as they come, in my opinion, right on par with the first Acktung. I give this one "Excellent" without second thought.
    Bro, The Last Waltz is my favorite original Wolf3d mapset, EVER. It beats out his first mapset hands down too, in my opinion. I was flipping through the levels, and my brother happened to walk by. He thought I was making art when he looked at the editor.

I still have the following vanilla mapsets exclusively by him that I have not playing yet:
    -Acktung! (the first one)
    -Archives: Volumes I and II (SOD levels)

Even if they don't shine as much as A2:TLW (really a true masterpiece, in fact see next paragraph), are they still worth playing, in your view?

But I do fully agree - A2:TLW is truely awesome and potentially unmatched.

EDIT: @Thomas: Since this is a vanilla mapset (no exe included in zip), it might just work if you loaded up Wolfenstein with 4SDL after placing these gamamaps and maphead files in your game foler. Just a thought, I personally don't have problems with DosBox.
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:34 pm

I made Acktung sdl by putting in exe from Super Haven Mapset and such.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:54 am