Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

5 posters

I wish to make a mod out of Wolfensein 3D's engine.Need Help!

Paratrooper Lirelou
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male
    Number of posts : 8
    Job : Student
    Hobbie : Wargames, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Plants VS Zombies, Shoot-em-ups
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

I wish to make a mod out of Wolfensein 3D's engine.Need Help! Empty I wish to make a mod out of Wolfensein 3D's engine.Need Help!

Post by Paratrooper Lirelou Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Hello. For a couple of days I have been planning over a FPS titled Seven Levels of Hell. However I lack experience in developing game. Anybod here could help me out?Iam unfamiliar with this stuff and am eager to learn the art of modding.
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 643
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark
    Hobbie : Staying Out Of Sunlight
    Message : Wolfenstein:Umbrella Beginnings Episode 2 released! Download now!

Registration date : 2008-08-09

I wish to make a mod out of Wolfensein 3D's engine.Need Help! Empty Re: I wish to make a mod out of Wolfensein 3D's engine.Need Help!

Post by jayngo26 Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:17 am

Where to start?

Hmmm. Well, do you have ANY experience with Wolf3d? Have you played the original games? Have you ever used MapEdit to create your own maps? Here is a few things you will need to get started:

A level/map editor: Popular choices include ChaosEdit, FloEdit, MapEdit and there are a few others out there too. I prefer ChaosEdit as it let's you do almost everything. Add new sprites(objects), has a small paint program in it, make new maps, add new textures(walls), add new sound effects,and it also has a 3d editor that lets you make a map and place object in the actual 3d environment. It also does more complicated stuff that will probably only confuse you at this point, so I will stop here.

I strongly suggest you first start making maps if you haven't already. It will help you get a feel for modding and for using whichever editor you choose.

You will also eventually need to get a copy of the source code. It depends on which one. There is the original Dos version or the newer SDL version (which let's you do a lot more as far as coding terms go).

I didn't know a thing about any of this stuff when I first started, but many ppl on this forum are very helpful. I actually know a LITTLE bit about coding now.

As you get deeper and deeper into all this, you may find other programs that help too. I use stuff like Audacity for sound creation and conversion, IMFCreator for converting MIDI song files into the IMF form that Wolf3d reads, RecolorBMP for recoloring sprites, and there's more stuff than just that out there too!

Anyway, my brain is fried right now and I'm also too lazy to find links for all the stuff above. But I believe much of that can be found on the Wolf3d Dome. It's the best wolf3d site out there and it's run by our very own Schabbs on this forum!

As a "newbie" keep asking questions. It may take a while to get some responses but remember, ppl are busy a lot of times and or ppl are very active on this forum and then seem to disappear for months at a time(I know I did it sometimes).

Well, I hope this helps some!

http://jayngoware.com/
    Paratrooper Lirelou
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Male
    Number of posts : 8
    Job : Student
    Hobbie : Wargames, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Plants VS Zombies, Shoot-em-ups
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

I wish to make a mod out of Wolfensein 3D's engine.Need Help! Empty Thanks!

Post by Paratrooper Lirelou Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:32 am

jayngo26 wrote:Where to start?

Hmmm. Well, do you have ANY experience with Wolf3d? Have you played the original games? Have you ever used MapEdit to create your own maps? Here is a few things you will need to get started:

A level/map editor: Popular choices include ChaosEdit, FloEdit, MapEdit and there are a few others out there too. I prefer ChaosEdit as it let's you do almost everything. Add new sprites(objects), has a small paint program in it, make new maps, add new textures(walls), add new sound effects,and it also has a 3d editor that lets you make a map and place object in the actual 3d environment. It also does more complicated stuff that will probably only confuse you at this point, so I will stop here.

I strongly suggest you first start making maps if you haven't already. It will help you get a feel for modding and for using whichever editor you choose.

You will also eventually need to get a copy of the source code. It depends on which one. There is the original Dos version or the newer SDL version (which let's you do a lot more as far as coding terms go).

I didn't know a thing about any of this stuff when I first started, but many ppl on this forum are very helpful. I actually know a LITTLE bit about coding now.

As you get deeper and deeper into all this, you may find other programs that help too. I use stuff like Audacity for sound creation and conversion, IMFCreator for converting MIDI song files into the IMF form that Wolf3d reads, RecolorBMP for recoloring sprites, and there's more stuff than just that out there too!

Anyway, my brain is fried right now and I'm also too lazy to find links for all the stuff above. But I believe much of that can be found on the Wolf3d Dome. It's the best wolf3d site out there and it's run by our very own Schabbs on this forum!

As a "newbie" keep asking questions. It may take a while to get some responses but remember, ppl are busy a lot of times and or ppl are very active on this forum and then seem to disappear for months at a time(I know I did it sometimes).

Well, I hope this helps some!

Thanks you!I have indeed played the WOlfenstein 3D(its my favorite FPS after Quake and Breakdown). I never used map editors before, thanks for the programs suggestions!

Also where could I get the source code(SDL prerfably)?

jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 643
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark
    Hobbie : Staying Out Of Sunlight
    Message : Wolfenstein:Umbrella Beginnings Episode 2 released! Download now!

Registration date : 2008-08-09

I wish to make a mod out of Wolfensein 3D's engine.Need Help! Empty Re: I wish to make a mod out of Wolfensein 3D's engine.Need Help!

Post by jayngo26 Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:09 am

Hmm. Good question. I forgot where I got the latest version at. It also appears that Ripper's site (the guy who worked on it I believe) is down. You could probably find it lurking somewhere on Wolf3d Dome or Die Hard Wolfers Forums too. I may be able to dig up my original download of it and send it to you. If I can find it..

http://jayngoware.com/
    Schabbs
    Schabbs
    Extreme Wolfer
    Extreme Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 3036
    Job : Retired
    Hobbie : Playing Wolf3D/ROTT, eating out, travel, music, snooker
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Schabbs Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 am

Welcome to the forums. There's a download link to ChaosEdit on the Dome Utlities page at http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/utilities.htm .

There's some info on the source code at http://www.btinternet.com/~belowe/ but it only features the dos coding and not SDL.

Brian.
    Cat Productions - mapper
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Dark_wizzie Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:02 pm

I think you can download the latest source code and whatnot all from Chaosedit page. But Wlhack's thread has a good intro to getting some coding started.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Tenamk
    Tenamk
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 303
    Job : Spy
    Hobbie : Kick S.S.'s butt
    Message : Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayWolf3D
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by Tenamk Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:32 pm

*Note* Chaos Software's page is down since... I think since 25th December

I won the first forum raffle! cheers

Dark_wizzie's signature: Nobody is perfect, I am nobody. Copier of my siggy will be severely pwned.
    Tenamk says: Oh crap!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 pm