Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

+4
jayngo26
Zombie_Plan
PicNic
MrGerolf
8 posters

Do you like the new Wolfenstein?

Poll

Do you like the new Wolfenstein?

[ 7 ]
    Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Bar_left70%Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Bar_right [70%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Bar_left30%Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Bar_right [30%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Bar_left0%Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Bar_left0%Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 10
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female
    Number of posts : 5120
    Job : Investor
    Hobbie : Computers, chess, computer chess, fashion, and philosophy
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Empty Do you like the new Wolfenstein?

Post by Dark_wizzie Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Do you like the new Wolfenstein? I heard some people from here dont really enjoy it. Can you tell me why? I played it, and it was fine to me.
    The whole medallaion pwoers were cool, and the upgrades were nice, although I would've looovvved mroe medallion upgrades. Running around killing people with my shield or shooting hecka fast with mire is pretty fun.
    So good game, but woulda loved more content (not that Wolfenstein didn't offer enough, I just want mor.e)

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 643
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark
    Hobbie : Staying Out Of Sunlight
    Message : Wolfenstein:Umbrella Beginnings Episode 2 released! Download now!

Registration date : 2008-08-09

Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Empty Re: Do you like the new Wolfenstein?

Post by jayngo26 Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Of course! But, this post should of been like last year.

Anyways, I thought it was very good and have played through it twice already. I really had low expectations going in, but in the end I thought it was really good. A solid 4 out of 5. Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Icon_biggrin

http://jayngoware.com/
    MrGerolf
    MrGerolf
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male
    Number of posts : 53
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Empty Re: Do you like the new Wolfenstein?

Post by MrGerolf Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:54 pm

havnt played it yet, my install on the disc has an error Sad warranty ran out.
    i think that anyone reading this, should just play WSJ's Totenkopf SDL, that is much like a wolfenstein sequel.
    PicNic
    PicNic
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1584
    Registration date : 2007-04-16

Post by PicNic Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:19 am

Im ready for wolfenstein 4 already Sad.
    MrGerolf
    MrGerolf
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male

Post by MrGerolf Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:02 pm

same here
    PicNic
    PicNic
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by PicNic Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:01 pm

If there will be one, probably in about 7 years Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Icon_bounce Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Icon_bounce Wolfenstein - Do you like the new Wolfenstein? Bom
    MrGerolf
    MrGerolf
    Don't Hurt Me!
    Don't Hurt Me!

Male

Post by MrGerolf Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:00 pm

i hope sooner than that!

-Heer Gerolf
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 pm

I thought Id software got bought by some other company? No more wolfenstein? Unless that company wants to continue the series...

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    PicNic
    PicNic
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male

Post by PicNic Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:00 am

Dark_wizzie wrote:I thought Id software got bought by some other company? No more wolfenstein? Unless that company wants to continue the series...

Bethesda yes, but they will only publish ID titles, or something.
    Zombie_Plan
    Zombie_Plan
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Male
    Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2009-07-06

Post by Zombie_Plan Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:50 am

Sorry for the late reply, only just getting back into things >_>

Problem with the game was it was too much of the same. You can only have overpowered mindless running and gunning for s long. It gets a little monotonous. When you have all the powers, it just felt way too easy. I'd trigger the medallion (I can't remember the name for it all) and wipe out everyone.

Game was good, but you really expect more in this day and age.
    jayngo26
    jayngo26
    Spear of Destiny
    Spear of Destiny

Male
    Number of posts : 643
    Job : Partime Evil Semi-Genius Plotting To Take Over Half The World. Partime Undead Charged With Keeping the Darkness Dark
    Hobbie : Staying Out Of Sunlight
    Message : Wolfenstein:Umbrella Beginnings Episode 2 released! Download now!

Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by jayngo26 Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:35 am

Funny that this topic got brought up again, since I started playing through this game just the other day. I know it didn't get the greatest reviews, but I really liked it. Sure there were things I would have done differently, but I was really pleasantly surprised by this game. The weapons were great and the boss battles were really good. I just wish they would of referenced more of the original material than they did. Sure, it had Hans and a castle in it, but oddly enough the castle was never once named "Wolfenstein" in the game. Weird.

http://jayngoware.com/
    Per-Scan
    Per-Scan
    Seasoned Wolfer
    Seasoned Wolfer

Number of posts : 385
    Registration date : 2010-09-29

Post by Per-Scan Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:53 am

It is spooky. I bought the game when it first came out but RL got in the way. I started playing it properly yesterday. I can't say I love it but it's certainly playable. It feels a little generic in the graphics and sound department but, hey, it's Wolfenstein so how bad can it be? I still prefer it's predecessor though... Smile

PS: Strange about the castle not being name-checked...
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51 am

Interesting. Well, the hospital level scared the crap outta me, I have to admit. Someone mentioned that Wolfenstein 2009 is closer to its older RTCW... although RTCW got 9/10 as scores across the board vs Wolfenstein's 7/10.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Playing it on PC now. It lags on 2560 x 1440 so I set it to 1080p. One thing that bothers me is that sprinting makes the screen shake too much. I couldn't get the trainers to work. It would have been way cooler if they made larger town maps. The Tesla is a useless weapon. The flamethrower is pretty effective, but there's not too many reasons why an upgraded Mp40 or Mp42 isn't more than enough.

It basically impossible to do any sort of stealth-type game, but I guess that's the whole point, run and gun. There are once again quite a few weapons, but most of them are niche weapons that won't be used often. As a whole I would just stick to a good machine gun. Ammo for niche weapons are rare and expensive.

I feel like listing current negative points for now.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    doomjedi
    doomjedi
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1378
    Hobbie : Gaming and Modding, Pixel Art
    Registration date : 2007-03-26

Post by doomjedi Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:27 pm

What is "New Wolfenstein"?
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:30 pm

doomjedi wrote:What is "New Wolfenstein"?
    By now it's old. It's Wolfenstein released at 2009.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:08 am

Dark_wizzie wrote:Playing it on PC now. It lags on 2560 x 1440 so I set it to 1080p. One thing that bothers me is that sprinting makes the screen shake too much. I couldn't get the trainers to work. It would have been way cooler if they made larger town maps. The Tesla is a useless weapon. The flamethrower is pretty effective, but there's not too many reasons why an upgraded Mp40 or Mp42 isn't more than enough.

It basically impossible to do any sort of stealth-type game, but I guess that's the whole point, run and gun. There are once again quite a few weapons, but most of them are niche weapons that won't be used often. As a whole I would just stick to a good machine gun. Ammo for niche weapons are rare and expensive.

I feel like listing current negative points for now.
    Graphics are decent, but I have not played any other modern shooting games. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory is not modern, and neither is RTCW. The Tesla gun is probably the least useful weapon in the entire game. There is only one situation where I would use it, and it's story specific. A flamethrower would pretty much be a better Tesla gun. Of course, the flamethrower ammo is hard to find. The flamethrower is actually a good weapon in close range, and it's useful when a lot of enemies are concentrated in a small area, like when 5 guys open a large door and spread out afterwards. One such occasion is the Zeppelin level, where a priest dude and several Nazis open a door. But it's too far off, so I used empower and mire when the door open, and blew their heads off with a rocket.

The Leicharfaust 44 is a very good weapon. The damage it does is comparable to the Panzershreck if we are talking about blast radius. A direct hit with a rock does more damage, but it's hard to do a direct hit without a crosshair (removed on the hardest difficulty level). (The tracking crystal upgrade negates this, though.) The Leicharfaust fires quick quickly compared to the Panzershreck and has like 10 hits in a magazine. The anti-gravity stuff after using it is kindda cool.I didn't find the Dearth Incarnate mode to be that difficult. The queen boss and the final boss (mire part) is the most difficult parts of the whole game, in my opinion. The queen boss, when she does the attack where critters fly at you, it's damned hard to aim at them. It's really hit or miss (GET IT?) whether I live through one round of that or not. There are four rounds and each is either the flying one of the easier crawling critters. It's a pain though, the gun you use is mounted and the crosshair moves slowly, which is annoying when the critters come at you from both sides. Empower really helps when shooting the queen at the 4th round. On the mire part of Hans, the dude can take DAMAGE. I've spammed rockets with my tracking upgrade countless times, he still lives. The rockets have me running the F*** out of there, trying to get more veil energy. Sprinting is definitely a good thing here.

I like how I ended up using each crystal power throughout the game. I use the veil when I know a stealth guy is around, although I could probably use it for the higher walking speed as well since it drains so slowly. The mire is just awesome. Upon activation (with the crystal upgrade), it instant-kills all minor enemies AND the stealth guys. On the castle level at the start, with snipers and Nazis under barricades shooting at me from long range, I sprinted until I got close enough to the point that the Nazis start shooting at me instead of the other Allies, then I turn on Mire, and sprint the chickenS*** towards the base. I essentially ran towards a sniper and won. I got inside, veil was dying out, saw like 5 Nazis, turned on shield, hit Nazis with my shield upgrade, and zapped all of them, ducked under a crate to hide from enemy fire, got up, picked off everybody else. It was completely epic. The shield crystal is good, but doesn't block melee hits or bombs inside your shield. The empower is quite loltastic since with the upgrade I can hit through walls. Imagine shooting priests through walls.

There were several times where my performance at the game was quite epic, like the Castle level. But there were also times where I got sniped and died and didn't even know where the bullets came from.
    I did not regret choosing the most difficult difficulty settings, and it was fun while it lasted.

(Oh yeah, the slowness of navigating through menus kind of threw me off. Nitpicking here.)

I wish they would let us edit the maps, although I understand the increasing complexity of each Wolfenstein game as it is released. I heard the multiplayer is disappointing.

Official Wizzie Rating: 8/10

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog
    WolferCooker
    WolferCooker
    Hardcore Wolfer
    Hardcore Wolfer

Male
    Number of posts : 1201
    Hobbie : Video Games (mostly PC), but been rapidly losing interest in it recently
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post by WolferCooker Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:54 pm

I have Wolfenstein 2009 (new Wolfenstein), but I haven't played it for AGES. Graphics are decent, but Wolfenstein 2009 ISN'T iD software's work. It DOES NOT have the same atmosphere as RTCW.

First off, IMO Wolfenstein 2009 has NO ties to RTCW. EVEN if they did try to link them both together with Deathshead, the super soldiers, the women elite guards, and a report about Operation Resurrection, they failed miserably to capitalize the greatness of RTCW. B.J. looks nothing like he was in RTCW. The missions are nothing like in RTCW.

There is no knife, pistol, and chaingun in the Wolfenstein 2009 weapon arsenal. That right there already ruins the Wolfenstein tradition. I personally think they should've kept the Panzerfaust over the Panzerschreck.

But the most important of all is that I HATE having to fight your way through a town JUST to get to the starting location of each mission. RTCW and Wolf3d simply cuts it RIGHT TO THE CHASE for the levels as iD software always wanted them to be.

Bottom line: RAVEN Software @#$%ed up the epicness of Wolfenstein BADLY. If iD software had full control over the development of Wolfenstein 2009, NONE of this drivel would've happened.

Dark_wizzie
    Dark_wizzie
    I am Death Incarnate!
    I am Death Incarnate!

Female

Post by Dark_wizzie Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:32 pm

I liked the fact you need to fight to get around, it's in Germany and I think it's an interesting change. I don't see how the 4 original weapons is required in modern Wolf3d. I don't see why Wolfenstein needs to be similar to RTCW. Can I stand playing the same game, years later? Heck, RTCW storyline had nothing to do with Wolf3d or Sod. In RTCW you are coincidentally caught once again in the same castle Wolfenstein as in Wolf3d. Twice is already a bit much, three times would be flat out weird.

Not saying RTCW is bad. RTCW was a very well received game when it was released, but Wolfenstein is a better game because it is newer. But compared to some of the games out today it pales in comparison to some. But I like each of the Wolf3d I've played in its own way.

Wolf3d Haven
    Minute Logic Blog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:02 pm