Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

2 posters

Live Streaming Wolfenstein 3-D Speedruns

Josh the Funkdoc
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2010-05-19

Live Streaming Wolfenstein 3-D Speedruns Empty Live Streaming Wolfenstein 3-D Speedruns

Post by Josh the Funkdoc Wed May 19, 2010 9:51 pm

Hello everyone, I've been interested in speedruns for a long time and used to talk with Chokster a bit about Wolf3D stuff (years ago). I've just recently decided to take it upon myself to learn the game, and I will be streaming the learning process and my actual attempts at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-speedrunning .

I will be doing things a bit differently from you guys, as I will be playing on IADI difficulty. There are already IADI speedruns for every episode on Youtube, so my goal is to beat all of them. Naturally I'm beginning with episode 1 and will go through them in order.

I will most likely be streaming on Friday night, I guess around 6 or 7 PM EST. So if any of you are interested then feel free to stop on by!

I also speedrun a number of other games, like old-school Castlevania, so I'll likely play a couple of them during a stream. If you drop in and don't see Wolf3D, don't worry...just say something and I'll probably play it!

EDIT: To see when I'm streaming, look at THIS THREAD and check the most recent posts. I generally post in there when I'm about to stream.
    Josh the Funkdoc
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Live Streaming Wolfenstein 3-D Speedruns Empty Re: Live Streaming Wolfenstein 3-D Speedruns

Post by Josh the Funkdoc Fri May 21, 2010 4:46 pm

I'll be starting in around an hour or so!
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1775
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Live Streaming Wolfenstein 3-D Speedruns Empty Episode 1 speed run package

Post by stathmk Fri May 21, 2010 8:40 pm

Welcome to the forums. Please tell us a little about yourself in the front desk section at https://wolf3d.darkbb.com/the-front-desk-f20/ or the warm welcomes and sad goodbyes section.

I watched parts of your episode 6 levels 9 and 10 videos.

If you go to July 9th at http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/newsjul2008.htm and

https://wolf3d.darkbb.com/addons-mods-etc-f4/episode-1-speed-run-package-t888.htm there’s an episode 1 speed run package that I made. That was about 2 years ago and I think that I’ve beaten levels 1 to 9 of episode 1 in about 4 1/2 minutes. I have the saved games to prove it. On Youtube, I think that zirblazer and rashreflection have speed run videos of all the levels of Wolfenstein 3D and The Spear of Destiny. Somebody else on Youtube has speed runs of The Coming of The Storm. The Coming of The Storm is an add-on.
    Josh the Funkdoc
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Live Streaming Wolfenstein 3-D Speedruns Empty Re: Live Streaming Wolfenstein 3-D Speedruns

Post by Josh the Funkdoc Sun May 23, 2010 9:18 pm

I am rashreflection. =) I didn't do those speedruns though, that was zzzKOTzzz. I only did the 100% level walkthroughs.

And nice Ep.1 time! I'm working entirely on IADI though, so we won't be able to do accurate comparisons. Under 6 minutes for Episode 1 is possible on IADI, but past that I'm not sure.

Also I am streaming again now if anyone's interested!
    stathmk
    stathmk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1775
    Job : fast food worker & wolfensteingoodies.com webmaster
    Hobbie : old games & young dames
    Registration date : 2008-04-08

Live Streaming Wolfenstein 3-D Speedruns Empty How to film 100% secrets on Episode 2 level 8

Post by stathmk Mon May 24, 2010 2:52 pm

What is IADI? Does it stand for “I am Death Incarnate?”

I didn’t use a Wolfenstein 3D source port like the ones here at http://fps.maros.pri.ee/index.php?event=92 . However, I saw a Youtube video 2 summers ago where somebody seemed to be able to beat my records for certain levels by a second or 2 by using a source port.

In my Apogee Sign Contest Walkthrough package at https://wolf3d.darkbb.com/dome-news-f2/apogee-sign-contest-walkthrough-package-t798.htm , I think I did “I am Death Incarnate” and had gotten 100% kills for episode 2, levels 1 to 7. Do you realize that you can’t get 100% of the secret passages on Episode 2, level 8? The exception is if you have Doom 2, load this conversion at https://wolf3d.darkbb.com/doom-modding-f6/getting-simbeys-and-afadoomers-wolf3d-and-sod-to-doom-conversions-to-work-t1153.htm , and use a certain source port. With ZDoom or GZDoom, the secret passages open like garage doors and you can get 100% of the secret passages if you want to film that. With the other source port, the passages are like the pushwalls in Wolfenstein 3D.
    Josh the Funkdoc
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Post by Josh the Funkdoc Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for the info! And yes, I meant Death Incarnate difficulty. If you're curious, for my E2M8 walkthrough I just showed the Aardwolf secret then exited the level.

I've been practicing Episode 1 some more, and today I realized that the game timer isn't always accurate and should not always be used for speed comparisons. Much like enemy aggression and the speed of the Hitler ghosts' fireballs, I think the game clock may be tied to CPU cycles somehow.

I have a timer program that I use for my speedruns, and noticed some discrepancies with roymustang18's episode runs on Youtube. I begin timing once the "Get Psyched!" meter is full, and from there the following occurs:

- Using this timing, I did a run of the first level which took 29 seconds in real time and read 0:28 on the game clock. This makes sense, since the game timer doesn't begin until the level actually begins; I begin timing where I do just for convenience.

- Using the same starting point on roymustang's level 1, he took 35 seconds in real time but got a game time of 0:32!

The game is supposed to run at 6000 CPU cycles, but my suspicion here is that roymustang played at 3000 cycles for all of his runs. 3000 is the default setting on DOSBox, and the enemies are less aggressive in his runs (which has been proven to result from lowering the cycles). I noticed a number of levels where he seemed to play worse than me yet get faster game times, and this is the most likely explanation.

With that in mind, 6000 cycles really should be a rule for any speedrun, as the default DOSBox settings make the game much easier and likely mess up the game clock. Using "real time" and "game time" as separate categories would be interesting, as some secret levels actually reduce the latter but not the former (e.g. episodes 2 & 6, Spear level 19).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 pm