Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

2 posters

Question about max filesize for Wolf3D title pic

deuxsonic
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2021-06-14

Wolf3d - Question about max filesize for Wolf3D title pic Empty Question about max filesize for Wolf3D title pic

Post by deuxsonic Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 pm

Hello,

I'm new to modding Wolf3D, but tried my hand at creating a replacement title pic for the original DOS version of the game. There is a max size of 65535 bytes for artwork it looks like, and the 320x200 pixel bitmap replacement I created is 65080 bytes. Upon importing it into VGAGRAPH, however, the compressed size is shown as 72995 bytes. Since this is larger than the max, the game isn't able to use it. What options do I have for reducing the filesize of the artwork?

Wolf3d - Question about max filesize for Wolf3D title pic Wolfen10

Wolf3d - Question about max filesize for Wolf3D title pic Empty Re: Question about max filesize for Wolf3D title pic

Post by Guest Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:03 am

A few ideas I can think of:

1. Split it into 2 320x100 images then load both (I think Spear did this?)
    2. Give the image its own palette ( I think Spear also did this for endscreens?)
    3. Play with the brightness and saturation see if it makes the size larger or smaller
    4. Rip the title from one of Wolf3dGuy's mods (I think he used it somewhere too? 😆 )
    5. Shrink the image a bit then center it on the game
    6. Put it as the signon screen instead (which is always 64000 bytes)

Wolf3d - Question about max filesize for Wolf3D title pic Empty Re: Question about max filesize for Wolf3D title pic

Post by Guest Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:53 am

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    deuxsonic
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Post by deuxsonic Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:38 pm

Is there anything special that you did with your version to get it to a useable size?
    deuxsonic
    Wolf3d n00b
    Wolf3d n00b

Post by deuxsonic Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:35 pm

Using Photoshop, I can reduce the number of colors, but even after reducing it into the 20s, the size drop isn't all that significant. Starting with a much darker copy and converting over to the Wolf3D palette can get the size just barely small enough. I guess I'm trying to feel out how much a color needs to appear in order to make a significant impact.

Post by Guest Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:30 am

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Veteran
    Veteran

Male
    Number of posts : 1737
    Registration date : 2007-09-13

Post by Thomas Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:53 am

This has been used in quite a few mods, though I have noticed some dinky pixels here and there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am