Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Please log in or register. Smile

Wolf3d Haven Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wolf3d Haven Forum

A friendly Wolfenstein 3D community, about Wolfenstein 3D, the game that gave birth to first person shooters...

... Empty ...

Post by Guest Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:47 pm

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

... Empty Re: ...

Post by Guest Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:28 am

Nice discovery. I guess it's like the fontchunk and TILE8/16 chunks where they just grab pieces of it for what they need lol!

Wolf3DGuy wrote:If anyone is trying to pick on the different colors... Wolf3D message screens works with true EGA colors while the colors chaosedit is using for these screens are different.

Not sure if you knew already or not but you can switch the EGA background from blink on/off to bright on/off in DOS by resetting the video interrupt like this:

Code:
            mov ax,$1003 { disable Blink }
            xor bl,bl
            int $10
    https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/bugs/357/

Think that Blinkoff.rar example will turn the background to bright instead of blink after you run it too.
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 191
    Hobbie : Wolfenstein 3D, Final Fantasy and Sokoban
    Registration date : 2010-08-03

Post by Asa Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:46 am

Wolf3DGuy wrote:I just checked the error screen of some version of wolf3d and I don't understand one thing.
    In the editor I see this error message screen:
    ... OpO8SeM

but whatever errors I get, I just get this part of the screen after the crash:
    ... Kot43cb

Why does it cut the other half of the screen, is the other half can appear somehow?

And if I know right there's a different error screen in another version, I don't have in mind how it looks right now or does it have any problems like this one.

If anyone is trying to pick on the different colors... Wolf3D message screens works with true EGA colors while the colors chaosedit is using for these screens are different.

Did you notice that the second error is not a memory error? The first one is an out of memory error. The second one is a map size greater than 64x64 error. I think that means two different error screens, even though neither WDC nor ChaosEdit shows the second one. I'll have to look through the source to see if I can find out how many error reports are actually built into the code.

Edit: I have found a few places where there is a call to an error reporting function, but not the map not 64x64 one. Also, I am wondering, does a map have to be 64x64? Can it be smaller? Or is the size specific and you have to make it that size no matter what?

Post by Guest Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:28 am

Last edited by Wolf3DGuy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Asa
    Asa
    Bring em' On!
    Bring em' On!

Male
    Number of posts : 191
    Hobbie : Wolfenstein 3D, Final Fantasy and Sokoban
    Registration date : 2010-08-03

Post by Asa Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:35 am

Yes, I noticed that. My thinking is, based on the fact that the lower part has to do with ways to free up more memory, that the other errors don't need that information displayed. That it's only in an out of memory situation that you would need all that info. What's strange to me is that the editors don't bring up any other error screens, just the out of memory one. I guess it's because of the way that information is stored, seeing that all of the other error messages are hard-coded in the exe and the memory one isn't.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm